Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the cedar moth myth

All this makes me remember that I did not share with you the translation of the micro-story that won me this years Spanish "Hat micro-story competition", it kind of is related to the thread... here it goes:

The old hat

“The best hats are those made of rabbit fur” the old man assured the little one.

“This one you see here,” he said pointing to an off white moth eaten hat “with its wide brim and silk binding, it’s my favorite. I particularly like the crown where the felt is the thickest”.

The little one looked with interest, while his grandfather continued explaining.

“Those made of wool felt are stiffer and have more sizing, but fur felt ones,“ he said caressing the surface “are really soft. For many generations we have valued this particular hat and now you will also be able to enjoy it”.

The little one looked with hopeful anticipation, while his grandfather spoke: “keep in mind that no all moths can enjoy delicacies like this”.

After which they set about eating that forgotten and ratty hat.

Written by yours truly, Cristina de Prada (no hats were harmed in the writing of this story).
:):)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have many hats, many vintage felt hats. About 60 of the vintage. ALL of them are in hat boxes with tight fitting lids. The hat boxes are stored a bedroom closet. Don't have any problem with moth, except the "pantry" moths which every couple years seem to come and visit the pantry - related to perhaps an improperly sealed cereal box, or other grain product.

My biggest fear is the silverfish. They love old books, paper, cardboard...and of course they will munch on furs, wool suits, etc.

Much of my vintage hat "collection" has been in their boxes for about 10 years..some I do not wear..they are original, clean, some "old stock" hats..so they are almost like "archival" to me.
Every couple years, I open the box and brush them, and put them back..with all the liners and paper covers, back into their tight fitting lid hat box. No mothing has been found.
I used to put a couple mothballs in each box..but discontinued this as it seems the box barrier is better.

So, from my perspective, store your hat in a box with a tight lid...and in a dry cool closet away from any sunlight or other heat source.

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
I have many hats, many vintage felt hats. About 60 of the vintage. ALL of them are in hat boxes with tight fitting lids. The hat boxes are stored a bedroom closet. Don't have any problem with moth, except the "pantry" moths which every couple years seem to come and visit the pantry - related to perhaps an improperly sealed cereal box, or other grain product.

My biggest fear is the silverfish. They love old books, paper, cardboard...and of course they will munch on furs, wool suits, etc.

Much of my vintage hat "collection" has been in their boxes for about 10 years..some I do not wear..they are original, clean, some "old stock" hats..so they are almost like "archival" to me.
Every couple years, I open the box and brush them, and put them back..with all the liners and paper covers, back into their tight fitting lid hat box. No mothing has been found.
I used to put a couple mothballs in each box..but discontinued this as it seems the box barrier is better.

So, from my perspective, store your hat in a box with a tight lid...and in a dry cool closet away from any sunlight or other heat source.
I've heard it said that "pantry" moths (Indian Meal Moths) are separated by wool moths by a single generation. Maybe I should have researched prior to hitting the Post Reply button, but as I recall, it was a supposed authority. Have no idea who now, though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

dark seldom visited areas and hats touched once a year is actually prime real estate for moth larvae ...

sounds like you just got lucky or simply do not have cloth moths in your region

hat boxes will not keep a moth from laying eggs ... they prefer tight spaces

I've been lucky as well ... never had a moth experience ... but I do brush my hats probably once a month at least

dark seldom visited areas and hats touched once a year is actually prime real estate for moth larvae ...

sounds like you just got lucky or simply do not have cloth moths in your region

hat boxes will not keep a moth from laying eggs ... they prefer tight spaces

I've been lucky as well ... never had a moth experience ... but I do brush my hats probably once a month at least

Hat fondler!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I concur with Anthony. It's the back of the closet that gets visited. They do not like light. And supposedly will drop off of clothing to avoid sunlight, this even though the larvae don't have eyes per se. Brushing is good. Sunlight is good. Steam will kill all stages, as will naphtha, white gas or whatever solvent you may bathe hats in. Hot water will kill all stages, but it has to be over something like 140 degrees for a half hour. Temperatures above 119 degrees F over a period of two weeks will kill all stages of growth. Feeding is suspended at temperatures below 40 degrees F, but larvae are not killed. Supposedly freezing will kill larvae over a period of time. I suspect repeated freeze/thaw cycles would be more effective. They do not thrive in humidity below 40%. The larvae will often drop off the item, or crawl into a dark corner or crack to pupate. So vacuuming closet floors, wall and corners is a good thing.

You can by pheromone baited sticky traps which will capture adult moths, I believe the males, and give evidence of a problem existing and perhaps take care of a minor infestation.

That's a bit of what I've gleaned off the web. I buy a lot of thrift store woolens, so as you might imagine the subject is of interest to me. I've had a few adults around, but I'm knocking on wood that I've gotten rid of them in one way or another. The adults avoid light as well. They are weak flyers and you will most often see them at night, unless you disturb an infestation.

Also, you could maybe put out a nice piece of cashmere as a sacrificial lamb. They appear to prefer it to all other fabrics, though maybe fur felt vies for the top spot. Ha ha.

Michael

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it's like termites. You either have them, or you don't. Sort of being silly, but if you have the right conditions (food, environmental, light, temps) then you will attract insects, if they are in your region of the country. I know I have silverfish. They are outside on the stucco wall sometimes, and do scurry off the BBQ cover. They love some old boxes of files that are waiting for the shredder...stacked outside the side garage. It's cardboard and paper they LOVE. And of course felt.

I do check my hats. They are properly stored, in a dry area. They are periodically checked. I also have wool jackets/suits hanging in the same closet...and there are no moths/mothing.

Oh, and not "all" the hatboxes are in ONE closed...they are under the bed, and in two or three different bedrooms. Strictly "top shelf".

navarre

Vendor
This thread has just struck on my greatest fear in the shop. I set off bombs on a semi regular basis cause you just don't know when they can arrive.

I'm with Art on this one, biggest fear in the shop for sure!

I am currently using a Dyna-Trap uv bug catcher that I turn on every night in my shop. It's not a bug zapper, but a uv light with a fan that sucks them in.
I haven't had any moth problems(knock on wood) and it does end up with wings in it from time to time. So, while I can't say it is a perfect solution, it is catching something. Not sure if it is moths, but I'll leave it on just in case.

I do put a cedar block in each hat box, but this is a pretty short term item, and I know that. If you keep it sanded you'll probably get a year or so out of it before it looses all of its muster. But it does give each hat a little bit of a fighting chance to start.

I think the best advice is just to keep your hats in rotation and give them a good brushing or a quick vacuum from time to time. Dust is good attractant so I hear.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I also want to mention a method for ridding hats or clothes of moth larvae and eggs, and silverfish and cockroaches and sundry other vermin. It also would potentially work for the long term storage of said items. First you need some form of plastic or glass container large enough for your purpose. Could be a tote or a very large aquarium. It needs to have a fairly tight fitting lid. Next you need a pound or two of dry ice. Put the dry ice in the container, wrapped in brown paper or some such, and then put your hats and/or clothes in. Set the lid on, but loosely. As the dry ice sublimes it will fill the container with carbon dioxide and since that gas is heavier than air/oxygen it will push those out of the container. After a couple of hours put the lid on tightly. At this point you could duct tape the lid/container joint if it is not particularly tight and it would have an atmosphere inside that would not support insect life for an indefinite, but very long period of time. If you are just interested in killing an infestation, a tight sealing lid should do the job and after a couple of weeks all insects/bacteria/mice should be deceased. And non-toxic, unless you accidentally seal yourself in, and no residue. I'm planning to try it this summer for storing my woolens while they are out of use. Since moth damage is most likely in summer, their life cycle is much faster at high temps and humidity, and felt hats are less likely to make it into the rotation with the same regularity as during the winter it's a method that might work for some, for hats or sweaters or winter coats.

Michael

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
You could rent a small bottle of CO2 from a local shop, too, and just fill the container with it. Like you say, it will push the oxygen right out of the space. We had a winery worker succumb to CO2 while he was up on a tank, breaking up the wine must cap and pushing it down. He died from the lack of oxygen after he had first passed out from it.

You could rent a small bottle of CO2 from a local shop, too, and just fill the container with it. Like you say, it will push the oxygen right out of the space. We had a winery worker succumb to CO2 while he was up on a tank, breaking up the wine must cap and pushing it down. He died from the lack of oxygen after he had first passed out from it.
I use CO2 injected into my aquariums for the plants. I make my own with a sugar/yeast generator. It would not put out enough to suck the O2 out of a container though. Sounds like a lot of work, there is got to be an easier way.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez...some of the suggestions here...and not ONE "use a nuke"...??? Hahah!

A moth could with ease, find it's way into most any cardboard hat box. The only real fool proof storage would be a hard shell container that you could make it completely air and water tight. BUT then if the container is not in a fairly cool place, you could have some condensation to deal with...not good for a hat at all.

We have been super lucky regarding small things that like to munch on clothing or hats. BUT one thing anyone could use to kill potential bugs of any kind is such a easy thing to use.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3204741423465038948?lsf=seller:8740,store:15668943383877922604&prds=oid:11949917108592787282&q=diatomaceous+earth&hl=en&ei=HEPbWIODLuG0jwT35ISQDg&lsft=cm_mmc=Shopping-_-LIAs-_-D28O-_-206857782&lsft=gclid:CJfX3vL6-tICFdG6wAodTukEwg

Even though this product is labeled regarding "crawling" insects, if you sprinkle a slight amount of this near your hat boxes. and maybe even on the lid area, you will not have any insect problems. This works for so many things...we have some in our closet next the edge of each shelf next to and around hat boxes. It works for ants, drain flies (which is a form of a moth that gets in your drains from the sewer system and those are real hard to kill off) moths, roaches, spiders, mites, you name it, it kills them.....they move on this product and it literally rips them up...as the microscopic surface area is jagged like razors. Some insects when approaching this will even turn and go in the opposite direction. AND as long as you do not "puff" this into the air, it is super safe to use. You can't breath it if it gets puffed into the air as it would not be good for your lungs...but normal use this is safe. Also safe for dog fleas...bed bugs...anything you could have a problem with. On your human or animal skin it feels like talcum powder...and some farmers and ranchers use it in animal feed...they poop it out and it then kills flies that land on the poop....and for humans...this is like a mini-safe sandblaster for your intestinal tract. Good treatment for Crones disease. Cleans you out leaving you...well...cleaned out! Haha!

We have used it for about 15 years and love it...for all the above reasons!

I have to say that this thread is the equivalent of the scariest horror film I have ever seen. :-D
Picture1.jpg

GAAAAH!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points