Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cleaning Clothes (vintage or other) Thread

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
How does one wash vintage WWII wool sailor pants? The thing I am most concern about is the issued information is still inside with the sailor's name. I am curious how to wash this and protect that label at the same time. Thanks.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I must remember to be extra careful around you Kitty - you are a real perfectionist and I'm a lazy typer.

You just have to remember that your full intent can't come across through a computer and that readers can only judge based on what you've said in your message and how :) No worries!

Trickeration

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
How does one wash vintage WWII wool sailor pants? The thing I am most concern about is the issued information is still inside with the sailor's name. I am curious how to wash this and protect that label at the same time. Thanks.

I treat mine like I do any wool, Dryell for light cleaning and an occasional trip to the cleaners. You might throw the question into the WWII thread and see what the guys there may have to say, too. Also someone there may have an old Blue Jackets Manuel that might give original washing instructions.

(I was a Navy wife for many years ;) ) Trix

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
I treat mine like I do any wool, Dryell for light cleaning and an occasional trip to the cleaners. You might throw the question into the WWII thread and see what the guys there may have to say, too. Also someone there may have an old Blue Jackets Manuel that might give original washing instructions.

(I was a Navy wife for many years ;) ) Trix

Thank you. I think I will try the Dryel first and if that doesn't work I will askin the WWII forum.

Trickeration

Practically Family
You're welcome. I'll try to ask (he hardly ever checks his myspace) a friend of mine, too. He wears his grandfathers Navy uniform to many functions and it's in beautiful shape. Good luck with the Dryell, it should be okay to start with. Trix

Smuterella

One Too Many
I need some advice, I have a hand knitted, rather itchy and scratchy 1950's cardigan that has never been worn/washed. It needs washing and I desperately need to not shrink it and to soften it.

any tips?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I need some advice, I have a hand knitted, rather itchy and scratchy 1950's cardigan that has never been worn/washed. It needs washing and I desperately need to not shrink it and to soften it.

any tips?

I would hand wash it with a delicates wash, rinse with fabric softener, reshape and dry flat.

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I would hand wash it with a delicates wash, rinse with fabric softener, reshape and dry flat.

sensible advice, thank you

I really hope I don't ruin it

cold water I suppose

I hate hand washing things, ugh the price we pay

:)

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Ah yes, very good call, Smuterella! I'd definitely use cold water.

Right, i'm off to do the horrible deed now.

With all this baking and knitting and hand washing I really am becoming a housewife.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
I hate hand washing things, ugh the price we pay

me too! especially since my bathroom sink's stopper is broken, which is where i like to do it.

what really gets me though, is trying to figure out safe, cat-free, flat places to dry my sweaters!

Smuterella

One Too Many
well, it appears to be successfully washed, I'm sure it'll take an age to dry though

I'm lucky on the surface front at least

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Smuterella - you've done the deed, so too late for my advice this time :), but I sometimes wash scratchy wool sweaters (cold water, gently, as above) and then fill the basin again and put hair conditioner into the water. Swish the sweater through with the conditioner, and then rinse again. I don't know for certain, but I think hair conditioner may be a bit gentler than fabric softener, and at any rate, I rarely have fabric softener around, but I do have conditioner :). Silk, being a protein like your hair and wool, could also be softened with conditioner.

Jen

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the good advice, everyone.

I have a wool suit that has a few small spots on it; maybe a solution of Biz or lye soap (Fels Naptha?) would work. (Comments welcome.)

As for ironing, I steam everything. My Whirlpool Fabric Freshener gave up the ghost; since then, I've just been putting an electric kettle of water in it with my clothes and zipping it shut.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The other night I cleaned a (non-vintage) cotton blend, tweed, lined jacket. I put a paste of Biz on the cuffs and collars--but it stuck to the fabric, so I don't recommend this except for an item you're going to wash. From there, I cleaned the cuffs and collar with a dab of Seventh Generation liquid detergent and lots of water. Then I hung it up to dry on a wooden hanger, and it looks and smells great now.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
The other night I cleaned a (non-vintage) cotton blend, tweed, lined jacket. I put a paste of Biz on the cuffs and collars--but it stuck to the fabric, so I don't recommend this except for an item you're going to wash. From there, I cleaned the cuffs and collar with a dab of Seventh Generation liquid detergent and lots of water. Then I hung it up to dry on a wooden hanger, and it looks and smells great now.

One thing you can try too is using a brush. It does help get detergent out of fabric. I have a nail brush that I use for scrubbing stains out of hand-laundered items.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I tried a brush on the jacket and it helped, but it frayed the threads of the fabric a little.

I keep a nail brush next to the washing machine for getting out stubborn stains.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Has anyone come across the mysterious rust-coloured vintage dust before?! I've got a vintage nylon jacket/top with a real fur collar and it is emitting said strange dust and I can't tell where the dust is coming from - the fabric or the fur. This has happened to me before with something vintage but i can't remember which garment. Has anybody else had this experience? Maybe I should just take it to the dry cleaners and see what they say.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Mystery Dust?

I'm semi-guessing here, but I've heard that called "Dry Rot" which is most likely the skin of the fur drying out, cracking, flaking, and turning into dust. IF this is the case, the skin needs to be conditioned. I'm not sure HOW that is done, but it probably involves moisturizer of some sort. Do you have a leathersmith or furrier? They would know.

Here's my dilemma- I find stuff that tends to have "Dirt" down the edge that was exposed to open air, yet, the sun and time have "Baked" this dirt in. It's like a dirt tanline?? Anyways, has anyone had bonafide luck removing this?

Jp

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Mystery Dust?

I'm semi-guessing here, but I've heard that called "Dry Rot" which is most likely the skin of the fur drying out, cracking, flaking, and turning into dust. IF this is the case, the skin needs to be conditioned. I'm not sure HOW that is done, but it probably involves moisturizer of some sort. Do you have a leathersmith or furrier? They would know.
Then again, I think I had a black nylon jacket that "dry rotted" black dust too. It could very well be the nylon! Have the fur checked first, that will deduce the answer.

Here's my dilemma- I find stuff that tends to have "Dirt" down the edge that was exposed to open air, yet, the sun and time have "Baked" this dirt in. It's like a dirt tanline?? Anyways, has anyone had bonafide luck removing this?

Jp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points