Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The conversions are looking good everyone.

My new project. I recently snagged this Stagecoach at a very cheap price. It hasn't had much wear time at all, if any. Sweat band, liner, tags, everything is like new, and it's understandable why as ugly as this hat is. But, Stagecoaches make for nice conversions. I don't think I'm going to do anything radical with this except for reblocking the crown to take most of the taper out of it. I'm going to keep it Western. I'll change out the ribbon and recrease the crown after I block it. I'm thinking of keeping the brim binding attached but I'll see how it turns out before I make a decision whether or not to remove it. Here's the progress so far. Easy Peasy....

Before
Stagecoach_brn_1_A.jpg

Stagecoach_hat_1.jpg

Step 1: Remove the liner and then remove the ribbon and tags and save them. The tags I'll put back in the hat when it's finished. I'll save the ribbon for a future project.
Stagecoach_Turkey_Creek_3.jpg

Step 2: Set the ugly hat aside and look at it. Then think to yourself, "I'm glad I'm changing the looks of this ugly hat. It looks like a Pyramid."
Stagecoach_Turkey_Creek_1.jpg

Step 3: Wet it down, put it on a block, and let it dry.
Stagecoach_Turkey_Creek_2.jpg

To be continued....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Terry the Convertor. Has a powerful sound!!

Ha! I like that! Thanks buddy! But, sometimes I need help though. I don't have near enough tools to work with and I can't afford to buy them. So, I have to call on my good buddy, John Galt, to bail me out with some of my projects....the Stagecoach I'm doing is just a matter of reblocking and changing out a few things. Simple enough project that doesn't require tools I don't have, I'm going to need some more ribbon though.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Still debating on a crease to put in my Stagecoach once it's finished. Thought of a Cattleman's crease like the one Rick has in The Walking Dead tv series...brim width and color should be about right

Shane_Rick_Lori_Tallahassee_walking_dead.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The hat's all dried and creased. I put the perfect Cattleman crease in it, like Rick's from TWD in the pic above, but the crown was way too high and it looked like another smoke stack on top of my head. I need a lower open crown for that one. The open crown height on this Stagecoach 6 1/2 inches. So, I went with another Center Dent crease. I was fairly successful in making the crown more straight sided than it was originally.....

Stagecoach_TC_12.jpg

Stagecoach_TC_9.jpg

Stagecoach_TC_8.jpg

Nice reverse taper
Stagecoach_TC_7.jpg

Before reblocking
Stagecoach_Turkey_Creek_1.jpg

I need a thin ribbon or one no wider than a 1/2 inch.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I love those old Resistol Stagecoach hats TJ. You've got that whole ugly duckling to beautiful swan thing down pat. I did a brass Resistol Stockman 3X Beaver yesterday. At 6 1/2 inches opened up it was almost too much crown to work with.
DSC00929.jpg DSC00930.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I love those old Resistol Stagecoach hats TJ. You've got that whole ugly duckling to beautiful swan thing down pat. I did a brass Resistol Stockman 3X Beaver yesterday. At 6 1/2 inches opened up it was almost too much crown to work with.
View attachment 36804 View attachment 36805

Thanks buddy. I've always admired your work. I love the Stagecoaches too. They give you a lot if hat to work with. But, as you said, that 6 1/2 inches open crown can be a challenge to work with. You did an excellent job on that Stockman. I love the color combo and the crown.

Here's the Stagecoach on my head. I need to snag a ribbon though....no wider than 1/2

Stagecoach_TC_13.jpg

Stagecoach_TC_14_A.jpg

Some of my other Stagecoaches...

Black_Hat_02.jpg

Resistol_Black_3_RC.jpg

Resistol_Black_2_RC.jpg

This Stagecoach conversion is one that taught me to leave well enough alone. John Galt originally did this Indy conversion for me but I kept messing with it and changing out the crown to different creases that I had it all messed up. I ended up reblocking the crown and recreasing it. I changed out the ribbon three times. The hat was fine just the way it was when John did it until I got it all out of whack. I'm leaving it alone as is now...

Stagecoach_Indy_1_B.jpg

Stagecoach_Indy_3_B.jpg

Stagecoach_Indy_me_3_B.jpg

Last edited:

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Those are all fine looking hats, but I have to say that black stagecoach with the red ribbon is a real prize winner, I really like the contrast on it.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I've recently just started doing conversions and I was quickly reminded that due to my tall and pointed head that I have to find tall crowns(6in.+) to convert. If this wasn't hard enough I'm a 7 5/8-7 3/4 LO. It's been hard to find hats to use and when I do they are not cheap. I do agree that Resistols are good hats to use because they are almost bulletproof. I have noticed that their thickness and hardness(don't know the correct lingo)is different from hat to hat. At least that's my experience. Lastly, Joao I feel like you do about the brim cutting every time I see a homburg converted. Everybody's conversions are inspiring and I've learned a lot from this thread.I would like to get a straight sided 6+ inch block if someone knows where I can get one in my size. I'll post some photos when I'm done with my newest conversion.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
ok... so I've decided to take this Stetson Beaver 25 that I acquired and turn it into a fedora

I don't wear cowboy hats ... and I love a tall crown ... so it seems only natural to me for me to convert it

as you can see by the pic I have just started to block it and flatten out the brim... actually looks pretty cool like this....

... anyway.... I would love your input

I know a few guys like DOGMAN and TJones have done these sort of things

a few questions

how did you go about cutting the brim ?

what did you use to cut it ?

... and really anything you would like to add

maybe I could learn from your mistakes ? :)

looking forward to hearing from you

IMG_1634.jpg

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Check out the Conversion Corral thread. It's packed with info and people that can answer your questions. I just started conversions myself. Good luck.

g.durand

One Too Many
What is the approximate manufacture date? If it's from the mid-'60s or older, I would leave it alone, shape it the way I wanted it and wear it. I have several westerns and don't wear them much, but it's nice to have one or two if the mood strikes or the occasion comes up.

Like this. Can't beat a Stetson No. 1 Quality (or similar) when you need a midnight snack.
IMG_4382_zpsyujstsly.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Check out the Conversion Corral thread. It's packed with info and people that can answer your questions. I just started conversions myself. Good luck.

been through most of it for the past couple hours ... can't find any of the info I am looking for

mostly just some really great before and after pics

What is the approximate manufacture date? If it's from the mid-'60s or older, I would leave it alone, shape it the way I wanted it and wear it. I have several westerns and don't wear them much, but it's nice to have one or two if the mood strikes or the occasion comes up.

Like this. Can't beat a Stetson No. 1 Quality (or similar) when you need a midnight snack.
IMG_4382_zpsyujstsly.jpg

not really a fan of a cowboy hat Michael

plus I want the experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points