Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I always think once I get the hat It's mine to with what I like.An I like to think I make the hat better.Maybe my logic is I like the converted hat more which makes me want to put it on more often.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Well, the thread is for advice to avoid mistakes on the nice hat. Zero dollar investment just lessens the bummer of a major d'oh moment, in my humble opinion. But, then again, I do tend to beat myself up more than I should for screwups that aren't really all that big in the grand scheme of things.

EstherWeis

Vendor
I'd have to agree with Dogman, if you don't like it as it is why wouldn't you change it? I think it's more of a shame that he wouldn't wear it.
We all know a hat is a very personal thing.

I think the chances of messing up are quite small, it's not really rocket science to cut a brim...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Can't say that I didn't jump in with both feet either and just "did it". Although, I did research things out first and asked a lot of questions so that when I made the leap I jumped in with both eyes open.
That didn't completely eliminate trial and error, though. But, having the right tools to work with significantly cuts down on the trial and error factor. I can say from experience, hat blocks are far superior for blocking than Sherwin Williams paint cans and rounding jacks are far better for cutting brims than scissors. The right tools make your "finishing" job a whole lot easier and a whole lot crisper.

Hat tools can get really expensive. I'm going to do what some of these guys here have done and try to make some of my own hat tools. I have everything to work with and I have plenty of nice wood scraps from other projects to put a few things together. Wouldn't be a bad idea for a thread, "Making Your Own Hat Tools".

I will say that Moon looks good with that wide brim Stetson, though.

Last edited:

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Well, here's my second conversion. The hat I used was a Resistol Cattleman in Silverbelly. The color is the same as my first conversion and I picked it because it seems to be the only color available in my size. The first pic should be of the way it came from OFAS. The others will be after photos. I didn't film during the process because the only good camera I have is my webcam. I'm open to any criticism as long as it's constructive. Well, here it is and remember I had to block it with a sugar canister so it's not perfect.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
Alan,I just saw your post for your c.1940 Clear Nutria and I instantly saw some similarities. Now I kind of wished I left the original ribbon on my hat, but for my second conversion I'm reasonably happy. If I get another Silverbelly I may just.....;)

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Best tool I have in my conversion kit is the brim trimmer I bought at hawkeye tack for 50. It's fool proof really. I use the 1/8 one
f2003a7438c995f88458c891154f096b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RJR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ