Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Scooterz

Practically Family
A crazy idea for a hat jack. An unused leg/stand for a flat screen tv that is laying around. The wrapping is kind of slick and seems like it would glide around hat ok. It seems to index around crown without wobble. Have to figure out how to affix a marker or a cutter where I want it. My 45mm rotary cutter might be difficult to attach but they make stick types with smaller wheels I think or could use a straight blade. I think I could make it for one fixed width at a time. The brim is currently 3 inches on the statesman.

P1020551sm.jpg P1020553sm.jpg rotaryCuttersm.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Great work Terry! That brim edge binding looks interesting is it the stitching that stands out? Or are there two colors?
Thanks buddy. As Joao pointed out, the brim binding is original to the hat. I wasn't too keen on the hat ribbon, so I took it off and replaced it with a thin ribbon.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 64995 View attachment 65000 First project hat. It came squished in box but popped back into shape ok. A Statesman rabbit fur looks like an Akubra. The first two photos are it with sample bands to try to figure out which way to go on ribbon/band. View attachment 64987 View attachment 64988 View attachment 64989 View attachment 64990
I like that hat. Although I prefer fedoras to western hats I would actually leave that one a western. You can reblock and recrease the crown and reshape the brim too. You can make a nice looking little western out of it. I wouldn't mind having one like that.

Here's a '50s era 7X quality Bradford westerner that I reworked with the same brim dimensions as yours...and it's the same hat size as yours too.

Bradford_7_X_Quality_003.jpg
Bradford_7_X_Quality_004.jpg
Bradford_7_X_Quality_006.jpg

On the head...

Bradford_7_X_Quality_RC.jpg

Scooterz

Practically Family
I like that hat. Although I prefer fedoras to western hats I would actually leave that one a western. You can reblock and recrease the crown and reshape the brim too. You can make a nice looking little western out of it. I wouldn't mind having one like that.

Here's a '50s era 7X quality Bradford westerner that I reworked with the same brim dimensions as yours...and it's the same hat size as yours too.

On the head...

That looks good. I really like the open road style. The crown on mine is a little shallow to be able to do much with crease. I have tried to change it but so far have wound up with the C crease it started with and maybe raise the front of the crown a bit and lowered the back a bit with a notch in the center back. Cannot get it to go to diamond and stay once I put my head in it. Do you use water or steam on your western hats to bash?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That looks good. I really like the open road style. The crown on mine is a little shallow to be able to do much with crease. I have tried to change it but so far have wound up with the C crease it started with and maybe raise the front of the crown a bit and lowered the back a bit with a notch in the center back. Cannot get it to go to diamond and stay once I put my head in it. Do you use water or steam on your western hats to bash?
That particular crown on mine is lower than my other westerns and some of my fedoras, 5 1/2 open, I'm guessing. Your hat is probably the same brim and open crown dimensions as mine. I have a couple of blocks so that helps in reshaping the open crown. I used water on mine and stretched it over a block. After I let it completely dry on the block for a day or two I take it off and either use some steam or mist it with water to help in the creasing of the crown and shaping of the brim.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I never seem to be satisfied. Right when I think I'm going like something, I find something I like better. I switched out the crease on this 3X Resistol again. I looked at a couple of pictures of Robert Duvall's Lonesome Dove "Gus" hat and Harrison Ford's "Cowboys and Aliens" hat. Both are sporting a Gus crease but I also noticed that both have tight pinches. I thought the tight pinch added a bit of character to those hats. Here it is again....

gus_pinch_2.jpg

On the head....

gus_pinch_1.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab

On the head...

Man I love that hat!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'll either do something with it, or I'll pitch it. I just can't seem to be happy enough with anything I do to this hat. Can't say that being satisfied with something that's not just where I want it is my strongest suit. I think it's the dark color that I dislike the most. Dark colors just don't seem to show up well. I might fedoratize this thing...

fedora_resistol.jpg

I'll either do something with it, or I'll pitch it. I just can't seem to be happy enough with anything I do to this hat. Can't say that being satisfied with something that's not just where I want it is my strongest suit. I think it's the dark color that I dislike the most. Dark colors just don't seem to show up well. I might fedoratize this thing...

fedora_resistol.jpg
You have a lot of real estate to work with in turning this one into a fedora. I think the color would lend itself to this treatment. Can't wait to see the results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points