Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Scooterz

Practically Family
I've been wanting for a wide brim Stetson and found this 7 1/8 LO so I sized up to fit 7 1/2 and managed to keep a full 3 1/4 brim while still maintaining a respectable 5 3/4 op crown ht. God I love these old Stetsons . Felt is smooth and dense.
Kept it simple with a dbl ply ribbon as the original was too small now and only a single ply too narrow to cover sweat stitches.
View attachment 67597
4af5a3f3a7d60e3cc5d549eeab5898bf.jpg
08d814f18968f3be396debffe5337d03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6c91213dc13c3eea1510f3703d6a01e9.jpg

How do you "size up"? Do you totally reblock and replace the sweatband? How did you size down that Borsalino just foam or something behind sweatband or did you really resize the sweatband? I may have to try something on a stagecoach that wants to swallow my head.

Last edited:

Scooterz

Practically Family
I thought I would have some good news on the final result of my recent hat conversion. I decided to go with a fedora conversion since I don't have very many. Unfortunately my rounding jack literally fell apart and I can't use it. I took the hat to a western shop near me and let them trim up the brim. All they had were the small cutters that only takes off a 1/4 inch at a time. I ended up with 3 inches on the sides and 2 7/8 front and back. I still have enough brim to get the 2 3/4 inches, though. But, I'll send it to a hatter and have it done. I'm not attempting to work on hats anymore. I have very limited tools to work with and very limited $$$ resources. I'm done with it.

That doesn't mean I'm actually giving up on the damn thing, though. I just ramble on when I get pi$$ed and frustrated. I'll get it figured out. I just don't like hold ups for lack of stuff to work with.

I just started on my first stagecoach tonight. I just sprayed it with distilled water and hand blocked it with a softball into an open crown. Letting it dry. That open crown is sooooo tall. Is also a bit too big, its a 7 3/8 but seems more like a 60 than a 59. It has a crocheted band. Just leaving it on for now. i am assuming I can make a diamond crease and won't even need to put a dome in it. Although those Gus creases look pretty cool.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scooterz sizing up or down several sizes for myself involves washing the felt thoroughly in water and reblocking appropriately. Yes sweatbands are removed for this most definitely .
The results are dependent upon the quality of felt obviously the better the felt the better the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally got the damn thing to work out. I got the brim trimmed down to where I want it, 2 3/4. The felt on these Stagecoaches are thick. I had to do a good deal of pouncing to where I could work it easier. More pouncing, more cussing, then more pouncing, then onto the brim flange. The only thing that made this conversion harder than it should've been was the lack of tools to work with. A bit of patience, (which I don't have much of these days), some creativity, and I was able to work around the "lack of tools" issues I was having. But, it came out nice. Very clean and crisp job. I just have to put a ribbon on it, which I'm also deficit. I was thinking of putting a dark brown 1 5/8 ribbon on it. But, I don't have one. So, I thought of salvaging this used dark brown 6 ply mid ribbon. Doesn't look too bad. I'll give it some thought. It's not sewn onto the hat yet...

Check out the plastic bowl for my flange stand, and check out the hat stretcher to hold my hat in place 'in' the brim flange. Tools! I need tools!
Chestnut_Stagecoach_Conversion_5.jpg

Here she is. All flanged. My little work area in the basement.
Scarlet and Gray. Go Bucks!

Chestnut_Stagecoach_Conversion_6.jpg

Almost finished. Needs a ribbon.
Chestnut_Stagecoach_Conversion_1.jpg

Chestnut_Stagecoach_Conversion_2.jpg

On the head.
Chestnut_Stagecoach_Conversion_4.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got the damn thing to work out. I got the brim trimmed down to where I want it, 2 3/4. The felt on these Stagecoaches are thick. I had to do a good deal of pouncing to where I could work it easier. More pouncing, more cussing, then more pouncing, then onto the brim flange. The only thing that made this conversion harder than it should've been was the lack of tools to work with. A bit of patience, (which I don't have much of these days), some creativity, and I was able to work around the "lack of tools" issues I was having. But, it came out nice. Very clean and crisp job. I just have to put a ribbon on it, which I'm also deficit. I was thinking of putting a dark brown 1 5/8 ribbon on it. But, I don't have one. So, I thought of salvaging this used dark brown 6 ply mid ribbon. Doesn't look too bad. I'll give it some thought. It's not sewn onto the hat yet...

Check out the plastic bowl and the hat stretcher!

On the head.

Nice work, TJ.

Scooterz

Practically Family

Check out the plastic bowl and the hat stretcher!

On the head.

I am working on a stagecoach that looks almost the same color. Its listed as Chestnut on the card inside the sweatband.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Michael, Bob H., RJR, Greg, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments....and good luck with your conversions.

Scooterz, mine is also Chestnut. It was probably the same hat as yours, originally.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
What a wonderful transformation TJ. I'm drawn to the tall crown that is set off by the mid(?) sized ribbon. Impressive!
Thanks buddy. I appreciate that. It's definitely a fairly tall and straight sided crown. It's 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping back to 4 1/4 inches. I have the brim at 2 3/4. The ribbon is a 1 inch, dark brown 6 ply. Everything's proportionate and works together very well. I have to say, it's probably my favorite fedora at the moment.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Here is my stagecoach so far.
Original Condition
StageCorignal2sm.jpg
Band and maribou removed and bashed, like an old Ben Pearson broadhead, 4 1/8" at pinch, brim uncut (4"). The hat is bigger than the dog its just the angle that makes it look otherwise.

StageCbash1sm.jpg StageCbashTopSm.jpg StageCbashFrontsm.jpg

My impression of Joao

StageCbashWearsm.jpg
Still working on the side dents. Seems to be resistant to making them deeper, probably due to lower crown. The rest of it was easy to crease. Probably go with 2 3/4" brim but not in a hurry and not sure on band.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Original Condition
View attachment 67969
Band and maribou removed and bashed, like an old Ben Pearson broadhead, 4 1/8" at pinch, brim uncut (4"). The hat is bigger than the dog its just the angle that makes it look otherwise.

View attachment 67970 View attachment 67971 View attachment 67972

My impression of Joao

View attachment 67973
Still working on the side dents. Seems to be resistant to making them deeper, probably due to lower crown. The rest of it was easy to crease. Probably go with 2 3/4" brim but not in a hurry and not sure on band.
The felt on those are pretty thick and can be a challenge to work with. You'll probably have to wet it down pretty good, (but not soaked through), to work your felt for creasing. If I'm reblocking one, though, I get it soaking wet and put it on a block overnight.

Original Condition
View attachment 67969

View attachment 67970 View attachment 67971 View attachment 67972

My impression of Joao

View attachment 67973
Don't forget to put the feather boa back on!!!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It just look like the other one you have.
It just look like the other one you have.
No. It's definitely the only hat I have like this one...and if you're objecting to my trimming the brim I double checked the inside of my hat to see if I could find your name on it anywhere. I also double checked the receipt to see who paid for it. Guess what. Your name wasn't on MY hat and I was the one who paid for it. Sorry buddy. I don't need your permission to do what I want with the things that belong to me. But, on the other hand, I did decide that I wouldn't cut down brims that are 4 inches and over anymore. Those I'll leave western. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana