Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here's the Stetson 4X that moon gave me. It's almost finished. All I have left to do is to let it dry from where I spritzed it damp with water to crease it, (that's why it looks a little splotchy in the one pic. It'll dry nice and evenly, though). It's already creased and flanged and I'll be sewing on this dark brown 1 1/2 ribbon that I scavenged off of the Premier Whippet that I recently finished. I'm trying to go for something like Alan Ladd's "China" fedora. Again, this one has a 5 3/4 Open crown. It's creased in a Tear Drop, 4 3/4 at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 1/4 at the back. The brim is 2 5/8 inches wide...

Stetson_4_X_conversion_1.jpg

Stetson_4_X_conversion_2.jpg

Alan Ladd's' "China" hat
Alan_Ladd_China_3.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally got the ribbon sewn on this 4X Stetson conversion, the ribbon I scavenged from the Premier Whippet, (so, it's not my bow work ;)). The pictures are terrible. It's been raining with thunderstorms here all morning and I don't have decent lighting to get good enough pictures. They'll have to do for now...

Stetson_4_X_conversion_3.jpg
Stetson_4_X_conversion_4.jpg

Stetson_4_X_conversion_5.jpg
Stetson_4_X_conversion_6.jpg

It has a 5 3/4 open crown, creased to 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4. I gave it my usual Teardrop crease, for the particular look I favor. I went with a 2 5/8 brim this time around.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a cream colored vintage Stetson 3X I recently restored. Had some minor surface mothing on brim bottom and some staining over cattlemans crease. Took the hat apart to pounce the felt and washed it a couple times to lessen the yellowing. Also resized it up to 7 1/2 from 1/4 while maintaining 3 1/4 brim width. Added a different vintage ribbon as original was a thin single ply type.
910e9d99963a281862449dbf06f2de03.jpg
80b60b97350493636a96f5c19ce243bd.jpg
5cb04e427998be8eab59372d3917df5b.jpg
72c6b5ec03cc411db693661f471ed0a1.jpg
83dc0d31312500f2b194e1fc9b8bfe82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a cream colored vintage Stetson 3X I recently restored. Had some minor surface mothing on brim bottom and some staining over cattlemans crease. Took the hat apart to pounce the felt and washed it a couple times to lessen the yellowing. Also resized it up to 7 1/2 from 1/4 while maintaining 3 1/4 brim width. Added a different vintage ribbon as original was a thin single ply type.
910e9d99963a281862449dbf06f2de03.jpg
80b60b97350493636a96f5c19ce243bd.jpg
5cb04e427998be8eab59372d3917df5b.jpg
72c6b5ec03cc411db693661f471ed0a1.jpg
83dc0d31312500f2b194e1fc9b8bfe82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice work! Impressive Bond.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
A (very basic!) question :

- if I use a hat which is 1/8 too big, can I make it smaller to fit and how? do I reblock? Or can someone point me to the right thread please?

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Reduction tape under the sweat
Pieces about 2 inches long placed at 11 and 1 o'clock

Thanks Moon! I realise that typing questions in the middle of the night (for me) is not the best plan... what my question should have been was:

If I have a very battered old hat which is about 1/8 to 1/4 size bigger (exact size is unclear) than mine amd I would like to try and refresh or revive it, is the right way to change the size down to reblock it, or is the answer still the same - reduction tape?

My skill and ability to do this is a different issue, but a 5$ all but dead Borsalino seems as good a place as any to start, although open to recommendations on where to start. I am about half-way through this thread and enjoying Scientific Hat Renovating.

Thanks and my apologies for the ambiguity of my original question - darn foxes were fighting in the street and set off car alarms at 3 am!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Moon! I realise that typing questions in the middle of the night (for me) is not the best plan... what my question should have been was:

If I have a very battered old hat which is about 1/8 to 1/4 size bigger (exact size is unclear) than mine amd I would like to try and refresh or revive it, is the right way to change the size down to reblock it, or is the answer still the same - reduction tape?

My skill and ability to do this is a different issue, but a 5$ all but dead Borsalino seems as good a place as any to start, although open to recommendations on where to start. I am about half-way through this thread and enjoying Scientific Hat Renovating.

Thanks and my apologies for the ambiguity of my original question - darn foxes were fighting in the street and set off car alarms at 3 am!
If you have a hat that can be made nice, and if you don't think your skill set is where it needs to be just yet, you may do better by sending it to one of the hatters here on the Lounge. They would have the tools and skills to rebuild a nice hat for you, especially if it's a Borsalino. In the meantime you can continue learning the art and collecting the tools you need for when you're ready to put your skills to work.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
If you have a hat that can be made nice, and if you don't think your skill set is where it needs to be just yet, you may do better by sending it to one of the hatters here on the Lounge. They would have the tools and skills to rebuild a nice hat for you, especially if it's a Borsalino. In the meantime you can continue learning the art and collecting the tools you need for when you're ready to put your skills to work.
Thanks - that may be a wiser option with respect to the Borsalino as indeed, I do not have any tools (although I do have paint cans and bubble wrap which I decided to keep rather than throw.... still) and the skill is also of an unknown quality.
I would love to be able to send a hat to one of the Hatters on the Lounge, but I can someone in the UK or Europe make themselves known then? Shipping and import duties from the US add up!

Thanks - that may be a wiser option with respect to the Borsalino as indeed, I do not have any tools (although I do have paint cans and bubble wrap which I decided to keep rather than throw.... still) and the skill is also of an unknown quality.
I would love to be able to send a hat to one of the Hatters on the Lounge, but I can someone in the UK or Europe make themselves known then? Shipping and import duties from the US add up!

@EstherWeis. I'm not sure if she does conversions/repairs, but if not, she'll steer you right.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I did a fairly decent conversion once using a paint can and bubble wrap.
Black_Hat_02.jpg

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
@T-Jones I think I may have got the inspiration/idea from you in one of your earlier posts :). Other question: I have read of people using a ball (tennis? golf? ping pong :)?) when steaming hats out back to open crown in the absence of a block - tennis ball?

OK - maybe I should just get on with things and see what happens.

RJR

@T-Jones I think I may have got the inspiration/idea from you in one of your earlier posts :). Other question: I have read of people using a ball (tennis? golf? ping pong :)?) when steaming hats out back to open crown in the absence of a block - tennis ball?

Give it a shot;you won't hurt the felt.

EstherWeis

Vendor

Hello :)

I'm in Belgium. I have done conversions in the past.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab

I've several times used a soup-ladle. Works really great. Soup-ladle on the inside of the crown - and then you can roll a (cylindrical) glass over the steamed felt on the outside :)

DOGMAN

One Too Many

When I first started doing conversions,I used a hand ball to work westerns into open crown.Still do it that way if I don't have the right size block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112