Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back to the drawing board. Had to size my hat up another notch. I had it on a 23' block but after taking it off and going through a dry run of putting it back together it was still too small. So, I had to do it over again, only this time it's sitting on a 7 3/8 straight sided block. Should work this time around. Now my other dilemma. It's on a block that would be perfect for an Open Road style hat. Unlike the other one I did, this one has a wider brim of 2 3/4 which would work out nice. Or, I could go with a thin ribbon Strat'ish style fedora. I still have enough of the 3/8 3 ply ribbon that I used on the other OR clone I did....would appreciate some input.

I am a sucker for Open Road style with cattleman crease. The color would look great in that style. Either way, I am sure it will turn out great. It would be interesting to see how you handle the high crown in a cattleman crease. I really enjoy your posts because I learn a lot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I am a sucker for Open Road style with cattleman crease. The color would look great in that style. Either way, I am sure it will turn out great. It would be interesting to see how you handle the high crown in a cattleman crease. I really enjoy your posts because I learn a lot.

Thank you, buddy. I really appreciate that. Actually, the hat is on a block that is around 5 3/4, or better, tall. Height shouldn't be a problem to get that OR Cattleman crease. The brim is 2 3/4. It should work out really well for an OR style. My problem is deciding which route I want to take with it.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be great. But just throwing an idea out there, how about one with an asymmetrical brim binding of the sort that have been showing up in the dailies here? Wider on the top with a row of visible stitching on the bottom side of the brim. I think that would look good on these dimensions. Maybe a 1 1/2" ribbon to go with it.

Michael

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be great. But just throwing an idea out there, how about one with an asymmetrical brim binding of the sort that have been showing up in the dailies here? Wider on the top with a row of visible stitching on the bottom side of the brim. I think that would look good on these dimensions. Maybe a 1 1/2" ribbon to go with it.

Michael
I've seen those and they do look nice. I don't have ribbon, though. I'm digging around for scraps or taking ribbons from other hats. But, that's definitely a good idea. Something I may keep in mind for a future project.

bond

Recent conversion of a vintage Stetson 3X for fellow lounger. Trimmed brim to 3 1/4 and added The Fray type bow with matching binding.
IMG_8817.JPG
e5f3b84e15930c89683d9276006fcf2f.jpg
f97aab4647b7e754b4a9aa6c5b58356f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Finally got this one finished. This is the Resistol Stagecoach I was working on and had to do over and size it up another notch. It's been taken apart and completely redone. The open crown is around 6 inches tall and is creased in a Teardrop at 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4. The brim width is 2 3/4. It has a new goatskin sweat and I reused the original Stagecoach liner. I also found an old OR thin ribbon and bow that I was able to iron out and reuse.

Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Redo_1.jpg

Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_1.jpg
Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_2.jpg

Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_3.jpg
Stagecoach_Silverbelly_Hat_Redo_4.jpg

I have to find another image posting site. Postimage is constantly having issues.

Last edited:

Desert dog

Finally got this one finished. This is the Resistol Stagecoach I was working on and had to do over and size it up another notch. It's been taken apart and completely redone. The open crown is around 6 inches tall and is creased in a Teardrop at 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4. It has a new goatskin sweat and I reused the original Stagecoach liner. I also found an old OR thin ribbon and bow that I was able to iron out and reuse.

That turned out Nice! The color and ribbon are spot on! Great crease also.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Finally got this one finished. This is the Resistol Stagecoach I was working on and had to do over and size it up another notch. It's been taken apart and completely redone. The open crown is around 6 inches tall and is creased in a Teardrop at 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 1/4. The brim width is 2 3/4. It has a new goatskin sweat and I reused the original Stagecoach liner. I also found an old OR thin ribbon and bow that I was able to iron out and reuse.

I have to find another image posting site. Postimage is constantly having issues.
I'd know that was your work, great stuff.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Got another one to work on. This earlier '60s Navy Blue 3X Resistol was gifted to me from Michael R. It was a low crowned Western with a 3 1/2 brim. Although it wasn't the most attractive hat to begin with, it was well made and the workmanship was top notch. I already took it apart and I have it on a straight sided block. There's just so many possibilities with this one. I plan to reuse the ribbon and the brim binding, and also the liner and the sweat bow. I'll have to replace the original sweat band with a new one. I have so many ideas for this one....

IMG_20171019_165815187.jpg
IMG_20171019_170012648.jpg

You can see the thread where the liner was also sewn in.
IMG_20171019_165858015.jpg
IMG_20171019_165641489.jpg

IMG_20171019_170105627.jpg

Got the liner all cleaned up and looking brand new. I'll be putting the manufacturer's label back in too.
IMG_20171022_090605694.jpg

On the block
IMG_20171022_085636042.jpg

Thanks again, Michael!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Got another one to work on. This earlier '60s Navy Blue 3X Resistol was gifted to me from Michael R. It was a low crowned Western with a 3 1/2 brim. Although it wasn't the most attractive hat to begin with, it was well made and the workmanship was top notch. I already took it apart and I have it on a straight sided block. There's just so many possibilities with this one. I plan to reuse the ribbon and the brim binding, and also the liner and the sweat bow. I'll have to replace the original sweat band with a new one. I have so many ideas for this one....

IMG_20171019_165815187.jpg
IMG_20171019_170012648.jpg

You can see the thread where the liner was also sewn in.
IMG_20171019_165858015.jpg
IMG_20171019_165641489.jpg

IMG_20171019_170105627.jpg

Got the liner all cleaned up and looking brand new. I'll be putting the manufacturer's label back in too.
IMG_20171022_090605694.jpg

On the block
IMG_20171022_085636042.jpg

Thanks again, Michael!
This will be good, as usual (-:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm