Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Nothing elaborate with this one. This is my grab and go work hat project. I had this 4X OR for a few years and used it as my experiment hat. It's been taken apart, converted and put back together several times since I had it. So, no more lab hat for this one. I'm not a fan of putting wider and contrasting ribbons on Silverbelly hats but I did on this one. I went with a Bronze colored mid ribbon since it matches some of the Silverbelly undertones of that color. It has a taller straight sided crown, (and even a bit of reverse taper), creased 4 3/4 at the pinch, with a little more of a rake than I usually do, sloping to 3 3/4 to the back.

Hat_4_X_Conversion_1.jpg

Me_Hat_Conversion_8.png

Hat_4_X_Conversion_5.jpg

Hat_4_X_Conversion_3.jpg

Hat_4_X_Conversion_4.jpg
WOW!!!!!!!!! Never fail to amaze......
M

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
My second attempt at a Conversion. This hat was given to me and it was a faded, stained, old Stetson 4X Gambler, I believe is the name. It had an original telescope crown. So I didn't have much to lose attempting a conversion. I can wear it for an everyday hat. It isn't pretty, ( it looks better in the photo than in person) you can see the old crease marks on it but it was good practice. I used the 52 block on it to give it that tall, full crown. Can't see it very well, but I put in a center crease.
P2140001 (2).JPG

My second attempt at a Conversion. This hat was given to me and it was a faded, stained, old Stetson 4X Gambler, I believe is the name. It had an original telescope crown. So I didn't have much to lose attempting a conversion. I can wear it for an everyday hat. It isn't pretty, ( it looks better in the photo than in person) you can see the old crease marks on it but it was good practice. I used the 52 block on it to give it that tall, full crown. Can't see it very well, but I put in a center crease.
View attachment 106695
Looks good to me Scott.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
View attachment 106695
Looks good on.Wear it,you made it your own.Enjoy it.I always enjoy when I put one of mine on.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 106695
Looks good to me for just your 2nd conversion. Stick with it and keep 'em coming!

humanshoes

One Too Many
I wanted to mention that I used your Rounding Jack on this project and it worked great. A little plug there for people to read. :)
Thanks for the plug Scott! I'm happy it's working out well for you. On a side note, I just took a rounding jack order from a hat maker in Moscow, Russia. I know it's just wrong, but I keep picturing big furry ushanka hats and Dr. Zhivago.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I had to rework a couple of my hats. Two of my Resistol Stagecoach conversions were too snug for me. I did other hats on the same block and they came out perfect but for some reason two of my Stagecoaches were still too tight. So, I reworked them on a size larger block. Could be that these were 71/8 before I sized them up and the others were actual 7 1/4. I don't know why I got different results on the same block. Anyway, Stagecoaches are pretty thick felted and stiff and can be stubborn to work with. I got it resized and put back together. It sports a generous straight sided 6 inch open crown, creased 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back. It also has a 2 3/4 snap brim. I took and reused a 3/8 thin ribbon from an old OR I had.

Reblocked
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_14.jpg

New sweat sewn in
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_13.jpg

Getting it ready for creasing
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_15.jpg

The new results
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_8.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_9.jpg

Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_10.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_11.jpg

Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_12.jpg

On the head
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_2.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_7.jpg

My current Stagecoach resize project. It'll have the same dimensions as the Silverbelly, except for a wider ribbon...

Resistol_Chestnut_Resize_1.jpg

Off the block and ready for a new sweat...

Resistol_Chestnut_Resize_2.png

I had to rework a couple of my hats. Two of my Resistol Stagecoach conversions were too snug for me. I did other hats on the same block and they came out perfect but for some reason two of my Stagecoaches were still too tight. So, I reworked them on a size larger block. Could be that these were 71/8 before I sized them up and the others were actual 7 1/4. I don't know why I got different results on the same block. Anyway, Stagecoaches are pretty thick felted and stiff and can be stubborn to work with. I got it resized and put back together. It sports a generous straight sided 6 inch open crown, creased 4 3/4 at the pinch with a rake sloping to 4 inches in the back. It also has a 2 3/4 snap brim. I took and reused a 3/8 thin ribbon from an old OR I had.

Reblocked
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_14.jpg

New sweat sewn in
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_13.jpg

Getting it ready for creasing
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_15.jpg

The new results
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_8.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_9.jpg

Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_10.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_11.jpg

Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_12.jpg

On the head
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_2.jpg
Resistol_Silverbelly_Resize_7.jpg

My current Stagecoach resize project. It'll have the same dimensions as the Silverbelly, except for a wider ribbon...

Resistol_Chestnut_Resize_1.jpg

Off the block and ready for a new sweat...

Resistol_Chestnut_Resize_2.png
Really excellent work again, Terry. Must be very satisfying to get it where (and how) you want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto