Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

ideaguy

One Too Many
Thanks very much for a detailed, concise, and non-threatening guide to
bringing a hat back from the dead. You're a heckuva good teacher. Thanks.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for a very well done tutorial Davidson. This one should be a sticky.
My next conversion will be my black Resistol with a cattlemans crease & 4" brim. The idea to start with is an Elko style hat with a navy blue ribbon & brim binding. Then again it could morph into another idea like a Johnny Ringo hat complete with the lopsided crown.;) But so far something like this with a smaller brim is looking like the right shape thus far, but with a wider fedora style ribbon & bow.
HATELKO300.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Thanks, folks.

I would enjoy reading other "do it yourself" write-ups. I'd like to learn better or easier ways to do each part.

If anyone remodels a hat because they read this, I hope they will write it up.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
My next conversion will be my black Resistol with a cattlemans crease & 4" brim. The idea to start with is an Elko style hat with a navy blue ribbon & brim binding. Then again it could morph into another idea like a Johnny Ringo hat complete with the lopsided crown.;) But so far something like this with a smaller brim is looking like the right shape thus far, but with a wider fedora style ribbon & bow.
HATELKO300.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

That's a tall telescope, I hope the Resistol has a high crown:) If the black tends to "blue black", that sounds gorgeous. If Resistol was doing a warm black...

The Miller 491 Gaucho has a mid-width ribbon I like.

Got a pic of a Johnny Ringo style for a neophyte? I Goggled JR with dubious results, and no distinctive hat. I've wondered what shapes you can get out of a standard open crown, including asymetrical. Many / most women's hats are, no reason they should have all the fun.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:

Cheers!

Dan

Ahhh, here's what was bubbling up - maybe you can riff off this picture from amishcraft.com:

Keep us apprised of your thinking!

Earp

One of the Regulars
Johnny Ringo's Hat

Here are some screen captures from a great movie. Is this the hat you're talking about Dan? Great hat.

johnny_ringo.jpg

tombstone.jpg

Look at that great asymetrical crown and the sweep of that brim!

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the pics, Earp. Interesting combination of a telescope crown with a sideways teardrop, with the "front" over his right ear:)

I would think about cutting or at least shaping the brim lopsided too - might as well go whole hog. The question would be, which side should be longer?

It would be fun to experiment with something like that (which means I probably will). I think the moustache adds to the effect - the hat needs a masculine face under it.

BTW Daniel, I found an old thread of yours, and from there Rands Custom Hats and also Tom Hirt's website. Some very nice work they do.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Earp: Thanks for the screen captures, that is exactly what I was looking for! All I need to find now is the bib front shirt with the red dragon on it.;)

Davidson: Tom Hirt was the hat maker for Tombstone so he can re-create that particular lid quite easily. I've been contemplating having him make that one for me for some time now. It's just a matter of getting enough scratch together to pay for the work.
The Resistol I have has a 6" crown so it should be able to accomodate either style or maybe this one from Montana Rio out of Nevada. Just not the super wide brim.
hat0001.jpg
hat0005.jpg

The Amish hat could be a great point of reference. In any case it should be a peach of a hat. But I do love the lopsided crown of the Ringo Hat though. This is going to be a fun project to put together.:) I suppose I'll have to grow my moustache thick again and wax it up for the handlebars.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Earp

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Earp: Thanks for the screen captures, that is exactly what I was looking for! All I need to find now is the bib front shirt with the red dragon on it.;)

Davidson, Dan, no problem getting the screen captures. I'll take any excuse, anytime, to visit that film again. One of my top ten favorites.

Dan, I can get you some more screen shots from different angles if you'd like more references for when you have yours made. On the other hand, if you order it from Mr. Hirt, he knows exactly what to do. ;) When you get it done make sure to post some pics.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Earp, how do you get screen captures? I installed Fast Stone Capture but have yet to make it work. I'll bet it's some astronomically expensive software.
Nice captures. A favorite film of mine, too.

dean

Bart

Familiar Face
Cowboy to Fedora?

Take the BITE boys, if you want a fedora, call Art, call Optimo, call anyone who sells fedoras, go on eBay, but stop making fools of yourselves with your home steamers, irons, soaks and amateur techniques. Buy a fedora and wear it.

If you want a cowboy hat, buy one and wear it and proudly.:mad:

Davidson

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
And the moustache does compliment the hat to a 'T'. I think I'm leaning more twords the lopsided crown.;)

Cheers!

Dan

Daniel J, go for it!

Earp, I was gonna ask for more angles, but I realized what I really wanted after all this was to go buy the movie lol

Mark G

A-List Customer
Bart, you don't get it half the fun is doing it yourself. I have two hats by Art and my westerns are by Mackey in Wyoming. I don't think any of these guys are making fools of themselves, they're having fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko