Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Decline of the Well Put Together Lady

Redlights

New in Town
I wore a crinoline to school today. (am wearing a crinoline to school..I'm at school right now!)

I walk to school around 8:00 AM...and I counted Pj and Uggs girls to amuse myself on my 10 minute walk. How does one expect to learn if they are dressed to sleep! And function! Somehow they manage to put on a full face of makeup...but they stop dressing at the neck.

35 in ten minutes, during a particularily low traffic time. It was disturbing!

I don't wear heals often because I'm tall enough to tower without them (5'10") but I do wear dressy flats.

I just got asked by someone who wanted to know what made my dress stand out like that. Cute.

I am dressing, not to impress, but to keep the decay of the feminine ideal away. Where have waist lines gone? What about people who are nice to look at?

And perhaps...just perhaps...someday while I'm out walking in these clothes a lovely young man in a suit and a fedora will come and sweep me off my feet...but that's wishful thinking ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Elaina said:
But I remember being taught atschool as a young woman the women's lib hoopla about how men were unimportant, etc, and frankly, this attitude of dress is IMHO a product of that.

I don't know about anyone else, but I dress nicely for myself. In fact, I've noticed that when I go out dressed very well, grungy looking men (which is pretty much all of them these days) tend to leave me alone.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Redlights! What you just said is exactly what happened to me! In fact, he actually GAVE his fedora to me.

I refuse to go anywhere (still in college, so especially to class) without "gettin' pretty." People question it, people stare, people wonder, but that's what I like about it. I grew up with women who never went out "without their jewels on" and who dressed up because they respected themselves and the people around them. I dress up to honor their memory and to create memories of my own, to make an impression, to be myself

I try to be proud of the person that I am and rejoice in the fact that I am an individual...what better way to show that inner (I hope :p) class than by looking classy on the outside? When you're dressed well you feel better on the inside and outside. I'm about to leave and see more hoodie sweatshirts than you can shake a stick at. I don't consider myself a revolutionary, but on this front, this is war.

"Beauty is truth and truth beauty--this is all ye know on earth and all ye need know."

Let's kick 'em into high gear, ladies. :) Give them a run for their money. I'll go get that fedora....

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Grace said:
Hi, ladies!

I wear heels mostly every day. It's so foreign to people any more! I get bombarded with a millions questions, like "How do you wear those?" "Do they hurt your feet?" "Can you drive in them?" etc. etc.

:)

I wear business suits to work daily, mostly skirts and jackets and always heels and I always get this question as I walk back and for from the hospital to the admin building numerous times during the day. I have gotten tired of the questions and often say, "Sometimes beauty hurts." Because, YES, sometimes my feet do hurt, but looking well dressed and feeling confident is always worth it.

The most casual I get for work is an Audrey Hepburn style, black or khaki slacks with a sweater and dress flats. Recently, office co-workers suggested jeans on Friday and I politely declined the suggestion.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think it is much easier for the Rockabilly or 50's style ladies to keep up appearances as there is more versatility to the hair and underpinnings. Trousers were in and straight hair if needed.

Ladies wanting to do 30's or 40's daily have to work much harder. Least that's what I've seen.

Most women nowadays around here go with Jeans and T-shirt... When at an office it's a random top and skirt or trousers.

Though I am seeing more dresses this year.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If everyone else jumped off a cliff...

Some women say they just don't have time to make themselves look nice. I say, does it take more time to put on a pair of nice slacks than it does a pair of cargo pants? Does it take more time to put on a sweater set than a t-shirt and hoodie? The real issue, to me, is that they want to look like everyone else, who unfortunately looks like a slob.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never understood the "why can't you just wear jeans?" attitude, really -- and people tend to look at me like I'm nuts if I explain I've simply never found jeans to be the least bit comfortable. They bind, they pinch, they chafe, and they just don't work for me -- so I don't wear them. I'm not trying to show anyone up -- I just don't find them pleasant to wear.

And, really, I've never found dressing the way I do to be the least bit more difficult or complicated than throwing on something out of the hamper -- it takes me maybe five minutes to put my clothes on in the morning, including girdle, slip, and stockings, and maybe another ten to fix my hair. If you do it every day for years and years, it simply becomes part of the routine and you don't even think about it anymore.

Frankly, there's nothing I can't do in a dress or skirt that I could do in jeans and a t-shirt, short of maybe climbing trees. And I gave that up when I was nine.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'll be honest and say that I do not dress to the nines every time I leave the house. I also don't despise all modern styles or trends. I frequently go out with minimal makeup, and I do often wear jeans and khakis on the weekend or after work. For work I have to dress up, so it is usually a skirt or slacks with a nice blouse or sweater set.

Is the opinion that anyone who wears jeans or sandals or flip flops immediately a slob contributing to the degradation of society? I personally feel there is a difference in dressing down/casual, and being a downright slob. I can wear jeans, flats, a skinny t-shirt, accessories/jewelry, hair styled, and makeup, and I don't think I look like a slob at all. Khaki skirt with flip flops and a cute shirt? I'm all over it. I'm presentable and even cute, I dare say. But then, I'm also not going out in public in fuzzy slippers and pajama pants with writing on the rear-end, or going to court in sweat pants. I don't wear jeans with holes or tears. IMHO there is a big difference there. I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for wearing full makeup, stockings, and a dress in public - and I'd expect the same courtesy when I'm wearing my cute shirt and my jeans. :)

I guess I am asking where the line is being drawn here.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Color me poorly put together and a slob then.

I prefer to be comfortable at work.

I climb under desks fairly regularly, and prefer not to expose myself to people 'watching', so generally dresses and skirts are right out the door.

I get up at 5:30 am to be at work by 6:45, with 45 min of that being driving time. I suppose I could get up at 4 am in order to fuss and primp, but guess what, I would rather actually get 8 hours of sleep. If I don't get my sleep, I don't concentrate enough to do a good job, which to me is ages more important then what people think I look like.

Yes, I comb hair, and clean face and teeth and wear basic makeup on -most- days. Yes, I wear clean clothes that are suitable for my workplace.

Maybe I am bizzare and wierd, but I would prefer to feel confident and on top of my abilities, instead of feminine and overtired.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Redlights; I think it's so great that you're dressing like a lady and not succumbing to what the culture dictates as 'cool' or the norm.
For me, it always cracks me up whenever I go out. Since I too see nothing but the torn jeans, pj wearing crowd also, dressing nice for sure makes you stand out! I really haven't gotten any comments in the negative sense yet, I either get the double looks from both men and women or the comment (mostly from women 50's and up) telling me how much they love seeing a girl dress like a lady and how great it looks.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yeah... and I work for an off road wheel manufacturer and grew up in a factory, at race tracks, and climbing trees and playing with the boys. AND I enjoy it.

I also enjoy many modern trends, as Fort Worth Gal says, and see no problem with flip flops, jeans, and modern style. There is a big difference between being a slob and dressing, as you say, "As a lady"- there's a lot of middle ground in there.

What's most important to me is acceptance. You cannot know a person by simply looking at their clothing. There is a lot of snobbishness of the "well dressed" and frankly it's very un-ladylike to look down on people because of their clothing and place yourself in an elite class, in my humble opinion.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I'm not looking to give anyone a hard time

fortworthgal said:
I'll be honest and say that I do not dress to the nines every time I leave the house. I also don't despise all modern styles or trends. I frequently go out with minimal makeup, and I do often wear jeans and khakis on the weekend or after work. For work I have to dress up, so it is usually a skirt or slacks with a nice blouse or sweater set.

Is the opinion that anyone who wears jeans or sandals or flip flops immediately a slob contributing to the degradation of society? I personally feel there is a difference in dressing down/casual, and being a downright slob. I can wear jeans, flats, a skinny t-shirt, accessories/jewelry, hair styled, and makeup, and I don't think I look like a slob at all. Khaki skirt with flip flops and a cute shirt? I'm all over it. I'm presentable and even cute, I dare say. But then, I'm also not going out in public in fuzzy slippers and pajama pants with writing on the rear-end, or going to court in sweat pants. I don't wear jeans with holes or tears. IMHO there is a big difference there. I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for wearing full makeup, stockings, and a dress in public - and I'd expect the same courtesy when I'm wearing my cute shirt and my jeans. :)

I guess I am asking where the line is being drawn here.

I wouldn't want to be discourteous. My grind is with professionals exhibiting respect in the manner of their dress. When you see ladies (and gents as well) dressed in something that was donned after a sniff test, a line has been crossed.

I have khankis and jeans in my closet as well and if I'm taking my kids to the park, they are likely going to be worn-- they have their place...it just doesn't happen to be in a professional setting such as what I observed. Ole Judge Crumdger would have had a fit and would have sent them home to change.

Honey Doll

manton

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
I've never understood the "why can't you just wear jeans?" attitude, really -- and people tend to look at me like I'm nuts if I explain I've simply never found jeans to be the least bit comfortable. They bind, they pinch, they chafe, and they just don't work for me -- so I don't wear them. I'm not trying to show anyone up -- I just don't find them pleasant to wear.
Friends and friendly acquaintances on other forums find it both incomprehensible and endlessly amusing that I do not own jeans and have not since I was ten, if then. It's as if I admitted to refusing to use a telephone as a matter of principle because letters are more elegant. But the simple fact is that, like you, I just hate the damn things and cannot for the life of me see the appeal. Oh, well.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
And there really is nothing wrong with jeans. It just the going out in public with holes through out them...or like we've talked some time ago, the ever classy g-string showing at the top.
Yes, to ridicule and look down at someone is very unlady like. And hopefully they'll see the wrong kind of attention they are getting. Working with teens sometimes, I see a lot of this. Being snobby is no way to bring about change! First is to build respect.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Clothes are made for people, not the other way around. But that being the case, there are clothes for every occasion. There is nothing wrong with jeans in the right context. There is nothing wrong with a sweat suit in the right context (e.g., when you are exercising or making a pharmacy run when you're sick. It really can be hard to put on nicer clothes then.) However, wearing, say, jeans to the symphony is just as inappropriate as wearing an evening gown to a ball game. To me, it's about being appropriate, not being all dolled up all the time.

Although someone isn't really hurting anything by being sloppy, it does show either ignorance of what is appropriate or attractive or a lack of respect for self or others present.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Paisley said:
There is nothing wrong with jeans in the right context. There is nothing wrong with a sweat suit in the right context (e.g., when you are exercising or making a pharmacy run when you're sick. It really can be hard to put on nicer clothes then.) However, wearing, say, jeans to the symphony is just as inappropriate as wearing an evening gown to a ball game. To me, it's about being appropriate, not being all dolled up all the time.

QUOTE]

I totally agree. I don't think it is necessary to be dressed to the nines at all times. I want to be comforable in what I wear and where we where it. I have worn jeans and flip flops to games, picnics, recreational events, etc.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Clothes are made for people, not the other way around. But that being the case, there are clothes for every occasion. There is nothing wrong with jeans in the right context. There is nothing wrong with a sweat suit in the right context (e.g., when you are exercising or making a pharmacy run when you're sick. It really can be hard to put on nicer clothes then.) However, wearing, say, jeans to the symphony is just as inappropriate as wearing an evening gown to a ball game. To me, it's about being appropriate, not being all dolled up all the time.

I agree completely with this, very well-said. It is possible to wear modern clothing (even jeans) "appropriately." And I believe it is possible to wear modern and casual styles while still looking presentable and attractive. I think the true issue is appropriateness and not necessarily the garments themselves. I believe the original post spoke of women wearing tennis shoes and a wrinkled jacket in court, which would clearly be inappropriate. As would wearing jeans with the knickers showing, or pajamas to the store, etc. Heck, I once attended an evening wedding where one guest arrived wearing jeans, tennis shoes, a t-shirt, and a hoodie sweatshirt tied around her waist. Nothing could be further from appropriate, IMHO. But as I said, I see nothing wrong with wearing jeans and a shirt to the store or even to a casual dinner.

I agree that it is a matter of looking presentable and appropriate for the occasion. There is a time and a place for everything.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I guess my issue with it all isn't so much folks wearing or not wearing jeans or vintage or whatever as it is the notion that if you *aren't* wearing jeans these days, you're somehow putting on the dog -- that you're trying to "dress above" people. I think a lot of us here have gotten looks or remarks to that effect, and I think that's what sometimes leads to the anti-casualwear backlash that sometimes turns up here.

What a lot of folks don't understand in my own case is that, for me, "causalwear" is a cotton housedress and sensible oxfords. That's what I wear when I clean out the garage, or ride my bike, or trim the rosebush, or haul my trash to the dump -- it's my equivalent of jeans-and-a-tshirt. And looking at it that way, it's kind of silly to be getting asked "what are YOU all dressed up for..."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I, on the other hand, think jeans sometimes get a bad rap. For example, if there is an occasion where dress is not casual, it's announced, "no jeans!" However, I think that a pair of well-fitting jeans in good repair looks better than cargo pants or any pants that are 2 sizes too big or mopping the ground. But hey, if they aren't jeans, they're OK! We're dressed up because we're not in jeans! :rolleyes:

(Which was actually your original point, Lizziemaine)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21