Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Denim Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

majormajor

One Too Many
I tried that years ago, it doesnt produce the same result.
Sandpaper also cuts the fibers (even if its fine sandpaper) so you most likely will get holes in some places.
Yes you can get holes the normal way too, but it just doesnt look the same.

Depends how you do it, my friend. Just like hot water on an A2. Do it wrong and you f**k the jacket.

1000 grade sandpaper rubbed lightly on the fabric will not break any treads or cause holes. It will simply imitate the kind of wear you get by just wearing your jeans for a year.

But with no personal freshness issues:):D

schitzo

Suspended
Major I think with your know how and my elbow grease (and also my willingness to splurge) we could darn well win this competition!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Depends how you do it, my friend. Just like hot water on an A2. Do it wrong and you f**k the jacket.

1000 grade sandpaper rubbed lightly on the fabric will not break any treads or cause holes. It will simply imitate the kind of wear you get by just wearing your jeans for a year.

But with no personal freshness issues:):D

I used 1200 paper. Maybe I took it too far. :p

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
However here is to show that it differs what you do during the day. I have been in school most of the time.

Tapered Sanforized IronHeart 634s
Worn for almost a year and washed once.
(they do look more cotrasty in real life tho, but not as yours all)

ih1.jpg

ih2.jpg

My Nudie (not selvedge) Deadstock Slim Jim Dry Japan
Worn for a year and washed maybe 5 times after that.

sjdj.jpg

And here is also my black coated. They develop shine due to the coating.
As I said I had to wash them and after that they almost develop no shine because you wash away the coating.

nudiebc.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
Ishmael, you can always take the arcs off, 5 min. job...And I agree on FH arcs. IH arcs have grown on me...

and I think I have seen similar arcs to MOTOR denim....on some very el cheapo low-end jeans, can't dig those, and further from Levi, the better, IMHO

Good point. Hadn't thought of just taking the arcs off. May give that a try at some point. But, this time around, I'm looking for something with a more old timey cut. Higher rise, wider leg, perhaps a back buckle. Lee or the MOTOR denim are looking pretty good. Tons of options around here, so I'll take my time and do some exploring.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm sure that Ooe Yufukuten would add a second back pocket if you asked, but I think that you're after a trimmer cut.

If you can live with the rear pockets, Tender's Type 129 and Type 130 are slimmer cuts based around old work pants. The silhouette is similar, but the details are a lot simpler.

Tender129TheHill-Side_L6.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
^^ Graemsay, thanks for the info and link. Hadn't heard of these guys. Looks great. Nice denim and design. And customizable for a reasonable price. Hercules is cool, but definitely looking for something with two rear pockets. These look great.

http://ooeyofukuten.cart.fc2.com/ca14/64/p0-r10-s/

Nice looking jeans.

But looking like they suffer from the same problem as every other cool Japan-made jean. NO STOCK!

I don't read Japanese, so maybe it says something I can't see, but there appears to be just 31" waist. SO frustrating:eeek:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a feeling that Ooe Yofukuten make jeans up to order, so if you wanted a pair they'd accommodate.

But I don't know what the ordering process is. If you figure it out let me know. :)

majormajor

One Too Many
Looks good Ishmael. But I get the feeling that they are hung up on copying old Levi's - which is cool if that is what you want.

As I said before, I've been a fan of the cut of Lee Riders since 1967, so I'm not about to go back to narrower jeans.

However, I can see the attraction of Ooe stuff for Levi's fans.

Just as a point of reference for Levi's fans, here is a pic taken in around 1967, in a Mod club I used to frequent, back then - the Twisted Wheel Club in Manchester (excuse the odd stances, the guys are dancing!). This was at the time when Levi's had been available outside London for no more than 18 months.

The guy in the middle is wearing a vintage A2 jacket and an impossible-to-identify pair of faded jeans. But the guy on the right is a perfect example of how we used to wear Levi's.

NO cuffs on the bottom - that was more of a 70's skinhead innovation that was later taken up by bikers. Worn close fitting - no bagginess in the top, and NOT overlong. Oh, and faded (but not bleached - again that came later) as much as possible. If the pic was in colour, you would see almost white denim, with just a touch of colour around the seams and such.

How times change!(apart from the vintage A2!!:D

scan0024h.jpg

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
here's the 23oz Lees
Lee10123oz011.jpg

Getting into them for the first time was a bit strange, as I had to sort of 'climb' in. Then I wore them all day yesterday for their first full day of wear and after a few hours I basically forget they were there. No problems with the button, no issue going for a leak and no trouble getting my hands into the pockets. Putting them on again today they just felt like normal jeans

schitzo

Suspended
well, a bit heavier than normal I suppose but you know what I mean. They probably won't permit head high karate kicks just yet but I can see already that with time they surely will

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
Sounds good schitzo - glad you are liking them.:D

They look a little narrow for me, and I think they need a little more length over your shoes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points