Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Denim Thread: Questions & Answers, Pics & Fits

schitzo

Suspended
that's right Major. I tried the turn ups for about 20 minutes and realised those aren't for me. The length, when I'm barefoot, is just above my heel i.e. only a few cm off the floor so they'll never need to be turned up. I suppose they are a modern type of fit

schitzo

Suspended
Hi Schitzo...I think they look good. Did you soak? If so, what does the Waist, Thigh, and Inseam measure post soak?

Hi Apba, yes I did. Twice actually in cold/lukewarm water. Have just checked for you now and the answer is it made no difference to any of those measurements. If you like slim/straight fitting jeans and are thinking of getting a pair just remember that these are sized big in the waist

All the best
Schitz

majormajor

One Too Many
Just for a bit of variety, here are a few of my denim jackets. These are all old Lee jackets. Probably common in the US, but thin on the ground here in the UK:D

3jackets.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
Majormajor, nice jackets!!

I've been researching the hell out of Lee and Lee repros, and I thought I'd share what I've found.

Yesterday was an epic tour of Lee jeans in Tokyo. Visited Lee Japan, Warehouse, Real McCoys, Studio D'Artisan and MOTOR.

All excellent denim. My conclusion is that Lee Japan and Warehouse Lee seemed very similar. I'm no expert, but there seemed to be little reason to pay extra for the Warehouse versions. However, they only had one Lee model in stock at Warehouse at the moment. Of the Lee Japan denim, the 1934 and 1952 were standouts to me.

The RMC, on the other hand, was a different beast. Seemed like a much higher quality of denim to me. I'd prefer them over either Lee or Warehouse. They have a few models, including a 40s and a repro of the jeans from Taxi Driver, a slimmer 70s model. I really liked the 101b Riders. Mp6101. Awesome denim!

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/list.php?category_id=7

Studio D'artisan didn't have their Lee repro model in stock, so no chance to check that out. For anyone interested in this model, they're on 50% discount at BiG in NY. Very good price for excellent denim.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

The buckle back MOTOR jeans were the best fit of the day though. Except for the length! Too short to cuff for sure! But they are not a Leepro. Oops. Based on 33 Levis. They are made by Warehouse, and use a very nice slubby denim. These would be my top pick, but for the length.......

http://www.motostyle.jp/motor/pants/bukkle-back.html

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
I've read this entire thread and the whole issue just escapes me. Are plain old blue jeans really such a hot commodity around the world. We just go down to the nearest stockyards area (the place where all the cows are), enter any clothng store, say "howdy" to the sales folks and peruse tables containing stacks of Levi's and Lee's jeans; probably a couple thousand pairs of various models. We buy a few pairs, wear 'em, wash 'em when they get dirty, and then wear 'em some more. They fade and get real comfy, and about the time they get REALLY really comfy, our wives tell us to stop wearing them, and to go buy some "decent looking" jeans before someone they know sees us. So, we just go down to the nearest stockyards..........

Ishmael

Practically Family
It's true. True for anything. That analysis could, potentially, be extended to anything here on the forum, no?

Last edited:

injunjack

One of the Regulars
And todays denim fabric is total BS. If you want jeans which fabric is like what it used to be...you gotta pay for it.

majormajor

One Too Many
I've read this entire thread and the whole issue just escapes me. Are plain old blue jeans really such a hot commodity around the world. We just go down to the nearest stockyards area (the place where all the cows are), enter any clothng store, say "howdy" to the sales folks and peruse tables containing stacks of Levi's and Lee's jeans; probably a couple thousand pairs of various models. We buy a few pairs, wear 'em, wash 'em when they get dirty, and then wear 'em some more. They fade and get real comfy, and about the time they get REALLY really comfy, our wives tell us to stop wearing them, and to go buy some "decent looking" jeans before someone they know sees us. So, we just go down to the nearest stockyards..........

Hi IXL

Yes, we can do pretty much the same - 'cept we don't have any stockyards here in England! But we can easily find shops full of Levi's & Lee Jeans. The problem is that the jeans will be the modern versions, which unfortunately, are simply not cut the same as they used to back in the 1930's to say, the 1950's, and tend to use modern denim. Jeans are a fashion item, and the shapes change with time.

I guess it's like leather jackets. We could just go down to the Mall, and buy one off the peg. But we prefer something more true to the old style jackets, in "hard-to-find-on-the-mall" hides.

You pays your money. You takes your choice:D

majormajor

One Too Many
Majormajor, nice jackets!!

I've been researching the hell out of Lee and Lee repros, and I thought I'd share what I've found.

Yesterday was an epic tour of Lee jeans in Tokyo. Visited Lee Japan, Warehouse, Real McCoys, Studio D'Artisan and MOTOR.

All excellent denim. My conclusion is that Lee Japan and Warehouse Lee seemed very similar. I'm no expert, but there seemed to be little reason to pay extra for the Warehouse versions. However, they only had one Lee model in stock at Warehouse at the moment. Of the Lee Japan denim, the 1934 and 1952 were standouts to me.

The RMC, on the other hand, was a different beast. Seemed like a much higher quality of denim to me. I'd prefer them over either Lee or Warehouse. They have a few models, including a 40s and a repro of the jeans from Taxi Driver, a slimmer 70s model. I really liked the 101b Riders. Mp6101. Awesome denim!

https://www.realmccoys.co.jp/catalog/products/list.php?category_id=7

Studio D'artisan didn't have their Lee repro model in stock, so no chance to check that out. For anyone interested in this model, they're on 50% discount at BiG in NY. Very good price for excellent denim.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

The buckle back MOTOR jeans were the best fit of the day though. Except for the length! Too short to cuff for sure! But they are not a Leepro. Oops. Based on 33 Levis. They are made by Warehouse, and use a very nice slubby denim. These would be my top pick, but for the length.......

http://www.motostyle.jp/motor/pants/bukkle-back.html

Hi Ishmael

Big thanks for the links. Some interesting viewing, but unfortunately (at least as far as mail order is concerned) the usual lack of stock.

I guess there IS stock hanging in the stores?

Japan is just a bit TOO far for me to travel to find jeans!:eeek::D:D

EDIT: Ignore that! I just worked out how to use the drop downs on the site :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
Majormajor, glad you found my post. If you are ever looking to try something similar to your Lees, same cut and details, but in a little beefier denim, check out the Real McCoys model, or perhaps the D'artisan (haven't seen that one in person so I'm hesitant to recommend). The RMC is pretty expensive, especially outside Japan, but it is a really nice and super tough denim. I was very impressed. This close up pic gives a good idea of the denim.

mp6101-8.jpg

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/americaya/mp6101/

majormajor

One Too Many
Majormajor, glad you found my post. If you are ever looking to try something similar to your Lees, same cut and details, but in a little beefier denim, check out the Real McCoys model, or perhaps the D'artisan (haven't seen that one in person so I'm hesitant to recommend). The RMC is pretty expensive, especially outside Japan, but it is a really nice and super tough denim. I was very impressed. This close up pic gives a good idea of the denim.

mp6101-8.jpg

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/americaya/mp6101/

They look very cool.

As someone else mentioned, of all the mail order sites that I can find selling these, ALL quote prices inclusive of tax. Is there a way round that if it supposed to be only an internal tax?

Ishmael

Practically Family
They HAVE TO list the price w/ tax as per Japanese law (as of 7 or so years ago). But they shouldn't charge you for it. However, the shop above doesn't do intl orders so it's kind of a mute point. Not sure if Real McCoys themselves do intl orders or not. You may be stuck with trying to find a proxy. Luckily you know somebody in Japan. LOL.

majormajor

One Too Many
They HAVE TO list the price w/ tax as per Japanese law (as of 7 or so years ago). But they shouldn't charge you for it. However, the shop above doesn't do intl orders so it's kind of a mute point. Not sure if Real McCoys themselves do intl orders or not. You may be stuck with trying to find a proxy. Luckily you know somebody in Japan. LOL.

Hi Ishmael

I find the Japanese mail order sites pretty inpenetrable. I have found one site in reasonable English, with the prices in UK£. They look to be transposed straight from the tax-inclusive Yen price, with shipping costs added.

So I guess the only way to get them over here is to "pay through the nose". Ah well;)

IXL

One Too Many
Okay, now I've got it! I thought you guys were talking about the new, off-the-shelf jeans and copies of the new off-the-shelf jeans, that happened to be made by other manufacturers. I had no idea the styles had changed, with the exception of the high fashion skinny-legged stuff. I did realize that some of the jeans being discussed were made from heavier material, though.
Thanks for "splaining" it to me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ