Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE DERBYNATOR SOCIETY !!!!!!

MattJH

One Too Many
What does Derbynator mean? I vote for a name change.

The Bowler Bowery
The Derby Dive

Something... I don't know. No offense!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
What does Derbynator mean? I vote for a name change.

The Bowler Bowery
The Derby Dive

Something... I don't know. No offense!

Maybe "The Bowlers Alley"

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dreispitz said:
Bowler :D shhhhhhhh

O.K., I confess! Alas, I think BOWLERNATORS should be admitted to the club for diversity aspects. lol :coffee:
what's the exact difference between a Derby, a Bowler and a Coke hat? :eusa_doh: If I'm not mistaken, a Bowler and a Coke hat are one in the same, if so....what's the difference between a Derby and a Bowler?

MattJH

One Too Many
There may have been a time when there was an actual difference between derbies and bowlers (perhaps derbies were exclusive to the horse niche, and bowlers to the urban industrial niche), but as a matter of actual style and construction, I've never discovered a difference at all. They seem to be 100% interchangeable terms, and were probably just regional terms (ex: sub/hoagie or soda/pop).

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A Derby is American and a Bowler is British, it's as simple as that.:)

There are some style differences between both hats. James H. Knapp, of Crofut & Knapp, creator of the Derby, did make some changes to distinguish Derbies from Bowlers. The crown was not belled and the brim was flatter, both on the sides and front and back -- not the brim curl, mind you, just the flange of the brim. A more pronounced upward curl of the sides, and front to back droop of the brim, were more typical of Bowlers. The crown on Bowlers was originally taller than that of the Derby, and more domed, but that changed over time.

Brad

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
A Derby is American and a Bowler is British, it's as simple as that.:)

There are some style differences between both hats. James H. Knapp, of Crofut & Knapp, creator of the Derby, did make some changes to distinguish Derbies from Bowlers. The crown was not belled and the brim was flatter, both on the sides and front and back -- not the brim curl, mind you, just the flange of the brim. A more pronounced upward curl of the sides, and front to back droop of the brim, were more typical of Bowlers. The crown on Bowlers was originally taller than that of the Derby, and more domed, but that changed over time.

Brad
Thanks Brad, I knew I could count on you. By the way, I think you look best in one, over any other type of hat out there.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Knox
IMG_4419.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Excellent, Brad! This definately qualifies for full membersfhip!

Hail to the Derbynators! :cheers1:

Big_e

Practically Family
Dynafelt derby. This derby has a soft top so I still need to add a quality derby to my collection. The cook at the diner keeps offering to buy this hat. The sportcoat and sunglasses are actually darker when away from the flash.
Ernest

Picture486.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ