Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
What happens to the encased diner, then? I can see it appearing on "Extreme Homes" someday.

We Oregonians have an "Enchanted Forest" tourist attraction between Portland and Salem. Maybe no relation.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's always hope that someone will buy it, or restore it, but I'm not holding my breath. It's in good shape and certainly could be moved and set up elsewhere.

But we've just seen a bunch of diners get knocked down recently because no one would take them- for free. And someplace like this that's encased- it's work to get it out, it costs a lot of money to move and restore, and at the end of all that, you still don't have something that's worth very much. Because it's encased, its' a lot quieter to demolish it. It's not the flashy stainless building that holds memories people will see being torn down, just the ugly '70s wood box that it's encased in. It's not a good time for diners at the moment.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Very dispiriting turn of events. Wealthy patrons need to champion the preservation cause.

Even if a group of private investors were to become involved, though, the obvious dilemma of public vs. private access to these cultural treasures remains.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some shots from Sunday and Monday

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1261.jpg

DSCF0975.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

DSCF1318.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Cloister diner, Ephrata, PA

The diner when it was new. PC from Diversified Diners.
cloister.jpg

Remodeled in the 1960s
IMG_2392.jpg

Interior's still in-tact
IMG_2331.jpg

And great peach pie.
IMG_232601.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
When I researched the brand Wallace China from Los Angeles, I read that they supplied diners with heavy duty dishes for decades. I found a pair of them that may date from the 30's or 40's. They are very heavy. I am sure they could double as lethal weapons, and come out with nary a chip.
miy0.jpg

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
These photographs are not mine. However, I have eaten here before, it's really good and I imagine it's like stepping back in time.

Neil's Coffee Shop in Lexington Ave. in Manhattan.

3281852876_aaecf28e5c_z.jpg

8128814694_5a12f0ca8e_z.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Wesway_Diner.jpg

l.jpg

neil-s-coffee-shop.jpg

2457190704_44d21012e8.jpg

photo+3.JPG

P1050636.JPG

I had the meatloaf for lunch the day I dropped in, last year at this time.

- Ian

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family

I think I have seen this diner before. Is it in Massachusetts?

There is a diner in my town called Dotties Diner. It used to be called Philips Diner. I never went there, but I read that they have good donuts.

Although it isn't a diner, there is a restaurant in my town called Charcoal Chef. I think it's from the 1940's or 1950's. I never went there either though.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Charlton, MA. It just re-opened under new owners, who did a great job cleaning the place up and restoring the fixtures.

These photographs are not mine. However, I have eaten here before, it's really good and I imagine it's like stepping back in time.

Neil's Coffee Shop in Lexington Ave. in Manhattan.

3281852876_aaecf28e5c_z.jpg

8128814694_5a12f0ca8e_z.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Wesway_Diner.jpg

l.jpg

neil-s-coffee-shop.jpg

2457190704_44d21012e8.jpg

photo+3.JPG

P1050636.JPG

I had the meatloaf for lunch the day I dropped in, last year at this time.

- Ian

I live a few blocks away and (1) love the look of the place as it is a throwback on a throwback looking street (several pre-war buildings in a row and old shops that allows one to time-travel in their mind if you block out some modern looking things), (2) have had mixed experiences eating there and (3) wish they'd do something about the 1970s-era drop ceiling that undermines the otherwise vintage and beautiful look. You took some incredibly great looking pictures of it - you have a real talent as a photographer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112