Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The DINER.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
not exactly a diner- but I thought I'd share.
This used to be a white tower, an old burger chain. There's a pic of it back in the day, and a pic of it now. Pretty awful.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Don't know if anyone has shown this -
TaghDinr.jpg

Off the Taconic Parkway in Upstate New York. One of my favorites.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nice lookin' Mt. View diner there.

I went on a short run to Baltimore today. Hit the Hollywood diner for lunch. This is the diner they shot the movie "Diner" in. It's moved since then, and the interior's changed some, but it's a cool diner nonetheless.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I also hit the State diner up in Baltimore.
I had seen a news story about it closing about a week ago. That had been the first I'd heard of it, and even though it's closed, I thought it might be good to visit. (You knever know if these places will ever reopen when they close).

The outside has been remodeled beyond recognition, except maybe for the window size and spacing.

Over the years, a lot has changed; it has newer stools, new booths, a TV, speakers, and a lot of homedone repairs. The interior isn't in particularly great shape, but it's unmistakeably a diner built by the silk city company of Patterson, NJ. The beautiful original lines show through. This picture was taken through the window.

Salv

One Too Many
Jackson Hole diner, Queens

Spencer - or anyone else - have you been to the Jackson Hole diner in Queens, NY? This is the diner that was in Goodfellas - I'll be in NY for a few days some time next year and it's on my list of places to visit, if I have enough time. Is it worth a trip out to Queens?

goodfellas_airline.jpg

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"Mable's Diner"

Back in the spring of '01, as some of you know, I worked on the film, The Majestic. I recently snatched a few stills out of a digital video I shot of the construction of the diner, the theater and the court house. The diner was great! Every detail was as authentic as possible (even the menus were printed with the real '51 prices!)Please excuse the quality of the images.

68931448.6RNAq4hQ.TheDiner318015.jpg

68931565.qVgrSO36.TheDiner318016.jpg

68931658.NuRbePoJ.TheDiner318017.jpg

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"Snif, snif"

Harp, I am sorry to say that Mable's Diner is just a new concrete slab in front of a rundown, old service station. As it was not built to code and was never meant to last past the wrap of the film, it was demolished, much to the sadness of many. It would have been a good addition to 'The Victorian Village" of Ferndale, CA.

68931223.Wvp2Y5Ec.TheDiner318012.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Mable's

Ahh nuts.... Too bad the town and studio could not reach
some agreement on code and post-production ownership transfer,
whatever... line up a potential buyer etc., what a waste.:mad:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That diner is so wrong...
It's got details from just about every diner manufacturer, all crammed together in a way that just doesn't work. It's like someone saw a picture of a '50's paramount diner, and built the set from the memory of that picture, but ignoring all the subtle class of the original.
The exterior looks like a '50's diner, the interior looks late '30's. It's so full of incongruities.

If you aren't a diner person, it would look right, just as if you weren't a hat person, a 20 dollar wool felt would look right.

I'm sorry to be such a purist and a diner snob, but how hard would it have been to have done it right?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well-This wednesday, I'm going off on yet another trip. This time to Winchester, VA for some tiny burgers at the snow white grill and the piccadilly grill. The Piccadilly was a real diner built back in the '20's. I'll have to see if the diner is still there, just hidden, or if it's a newer (1950's) storefront building. Also going to hit the triangle diner, the Rainbow diner, and the Amherst diner. It's going to be a good day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk