Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Ant. 'Twas a fortuitous find. I believe both of these were bought on the same day from the same establishment. The brim stitching on the Game Bird is the coolest thing ever, and that "Hankachif" Felt on the Cross-Country is so thin and pliable. Both of them mold in your hands easily, and both steamed to open crown with ease.

I'm stoked.

Up until now, only two Dobbs hats have passed through my hands, neither of them much to speak of, being later 60s/70s models. That changed the other day. Local thrift store finds - it was worth the weight.

Both of these hats are very close in color, and both purchased from the same location in Wayne, Michigan. I am convinced they were purchased at the same time. Both appear to have been worn but taken care of very well. No mothing, no stains, the sweatbands are in great shape. This price for both of them was probably half of what one would sell for on eBay. All-in-all, I'm an understandably Happy Camper.

First up, a Dobbs Game Bird. The color is a sort of battleship gray.

Open Crown Height: 5 3/4"
Brim: 2 3/4"

View attachment 63408 View attachment 63409 View attachment 63410 View attachment 63411 View attachment 63412 View attachment 63413 View attachment 63414

The Cross Country is a great, lightweight, unlined hat. At 72g, the lightest hat I now own. It's going to see some serious summer head time.

5 3/8" Open Crown
2 3/4" Brim

View attachment 63425 View attachment 63426 View attachment 63427 View attachment 63428
Those are fantastic early Christmas presents, Jim. I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall when you discovered them. That had to have been a fantastic kid in the candy store moment.

When you have the chance, will you post some more shots of the Game Bird brim treatment? It looks very, very nice.

LUCKY!!!

Those are fantastic early Christmas presents, Jim. I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall when you discovered them. That had to have been a fantastic kid in the candy store moment.

When you have the chance, will you post some more shots of the Game Bird brim treatment? It looks very, very nice.

LUCKY!!!

Thanks Matt!

I had to quell my excitement because my first instinct was to offer a lower price for the hats (since I was buying two). However, it was the owner's son, not the lady who owns it. She will often cut me a break. Especially on hats, as she knows me. She may not have on these, they were great dels anyway.

I'll get some more brim shots for you tomorrow.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

WOW!
Some good stuff there, Fruno!
Congrats on a killer thrift store score.

Thanks, John. Now we can go Game Birdin' together!

Again, I need to quit slumming when it comes to thrift stores. I wish we had finds like that around here. I'm impressed!!

Thanks, Red. This place always has some hats, but this was far and away the best I've found there. She's had a vintage store in town since the 70s.

Like moon said, likely my best day/find yet.

LUCKY!!!

Matt, sorry I didn't get these up when promised. Hopefully, they'll be better than the last ones.

ee9dadbeea791ff0fc9fc904e53ca57d.jpg

259d6533f9954420fa4888bcd4661687.jpg

Nice stitching! Almost makes the felted edge on mine seem pedestrian.
Almost.:)

Ours are two of a different feather, for sure. Yours is much fuzzier, and with a traditional, rather wide, ribbon. Mine seems to be thinner felt with the stitched brim and felt ribbon. Toss in Matt's, which is fuzzy with a thick ribbon and the double row of stitching, too.

1557.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Ours are two of a different feather, for sure. Yours is much fuzzier, and with a traditional, rather wide, ribbon. Mine seems to be thinner felt with the stitched brim and felt ribbon. Toss in Matt's, which is fuzzy with a thick ribbon and the double row of stitching, too.

1557.jpg
Yes, quite different. But the one thing they all do have in common is, as I have it from a reliable source, is that they all are, indeed, the word.

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
My first Dobbs: A Hanley Hall model, in what might be called a light pecan, that I was lucky enough to acquire from Anthony during his recent blowout sale. I love everything about this hat: Its colors, its crown height and brim width, and, of course, its styling. And everyone take note: When Anthony tells you that a hat is in "mint" condition, he REALLY means it. This one looks like it was just taken off a hat shop self!
DSC_0037-sm.jpg
DSC_0039-sm.jpg
DSC_0042-sm.jpg
DSC_0018-sm.jpg
DSC_0030-sm.jpg
DSC_0036-sm.jpg
DSC_0028-sm.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider