Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Double Teardrop

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK, gents, I'm going out on a limb here. I would love to get your objective feedback on last night's project...

Creasing my AB Deluxe has always presented somewhat of a challenge. Marc Kitter used the Crystal Skull block on this one, and sent it to me in open crown condition. When I received the hat, I tried a few dry bashes just to check out the possibilities. Without any work whatsoever, this lid fell perfectly into place with the traditional center dent -- it almost creased itself. So, in that sense, the hat really wanted to be a center dent by its very nature. In fact, my dog whispered as much to me...:D

I would have been OK with the center dent, but, it sat right on the top of my noggin -- so I went with a teardrop instead. The teardrop that I put in the hat initially passed muster, I think, but I have never been completely happy with it. It seems that the combination of the Crystal Skull block and a teardrop crease left a fairly large "dome" (or "inner teardrop" as I like to call it ;)). I had to sink the inner teardrop down in order not to have the dome portrude up over the top of the sides of the lid (which is a terrible look, IMO).

Last evening, I decided to raise the height of the teardrop to where I would normally have it. This resulted in the dome portruding fairly significantly above the sides of the lid. The question was how to keep the teardrop where I wanted it, but somehow be able to lower the height of the top of the dome itself.

My solution was to create a double teardrop. It's an unconventional look, I'll admit, but it accomplished what I was after. I'm not posting this because I think that anyone will particularly like this crease -- I'm posting it to share a somewhat different approach and to solicit your feedback. If you like it great -- if you don't, great. I'm just curious as to how this look strikes you -- any feedback is welcome. Anyway, here goes...

DT2.jpg

DT4.jpg

DT8.jpg

DT9.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
JtL it certainly is an interesting solution to your problem and I can confidently say that I have never seen anything like that before. It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D

Getting close to another "bullseye" look for the birds to take aim at! Most folks only see that crease off your head & that itself can be a conversation piece. If it looks good on your noggin which I know it does given your previous work, that's all that matters, right?

billyspew

One Too Many
FurFeltFedora said:
JtL it certainly is an interesting solution to your problem and I can confidently say that I have never seen anything like that before. It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D
lol lol lol lol
Best comment ever.

Thank you!

trailrunner

Familiar Face
It does look a bit strange to me, but it solves the problem, and if you're happy with that is what counts. I'm with gtdean, it gives the hat the look you want while you are wearing it, keep it. Also, as someone else mentioned, very nice job making that crease, it is perfectly done, no matter what you think of it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
It's difficult to describe my reaction to it. Kind of like the three breasted woman from Total Recall - more of what you like, but somehow not right... :D

FFF -- that is very funny, and pretty much describes my own reaction. I want to like it, but I don't think it comes off as organic to the hat.

I really appreciate the honest feedback, folks. Sounds like, so far, your own reactions are similar to my own. Thanks.

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Well, Mr. Powers...

I believe you've succeeded in creating the Mini Me crease.
1austin-powers-dr-evil-mini-me-toy.jpg

As stated, if it looks good on your noggin, wear it with confidence. No one will know you're totin' a sidekick.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
initial thoughts:

alien head.

(Tommy Boy singing voice)
Big hat on a little blo-ock.

ripples
ripples.jpg

Like rumblefish said, impressive, but a bit much.

jpbales

Practically Family
haha

interesting analogylol

FurFeltFedora said:

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Nice, but definitely "3rd-boob"...

As stated in the very first reply, it's a testament to your skill with the teardrop bash, Jimmy. I do have to agree with you and pretty much everyone else, though, it looks like too much of a good thing, particularly on a hat as unassuming as an Indy (even if it is Mark Kitter Special!). Even if you're not going for an Indy look, that felt/bow/color format begs subtlety.

-AFI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ