Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Double Teardrop

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
I think it should have had a diamond crease and a thin ribbon, a bound edge would have been nice also. :)
....or dare I say, a "Double Diamond"? :eek:

BTW.....I like it, it's different and I've always been just that. Dare to be different was always my moto. [huh]

I just noticed that you beat me to it JT......

Chinaski

One Too Many
It sounds like you don't really want it to be a center dent, and you came up with a pretty damn creative solution to the problem you had with the teardrop. And by the way, it's still a pretty deep teardrop even with the double thrown in.

I'd be hard pressed to find another solution! Is the crown just waaaayyy too high with a normal teardrop that doesn't touch the top of your head?

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
JTL,
My suspicions have finally been confirmed. YOU SIR have been exposed! You really don't own all those fantastic hats after all do you? It has all been done with PHOTOSHOP ULTRA DIAMOND PLATINUM professional edition. Bravo, fooled us all for quite some time but it's over now.
Tom D.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK. It seems I just can't stay outta' this fun thread forever.

My first and lasting impression when I saw the images was that I like it very much - but that I wouldn't want it for me.

See, that's the bit with something like this. To me, it is very, very clever and well executed. Not surprising considering the source. My first thoughts were, that it made the felt look like it's as easy to work with as modeling clay - but I know better with these hats, so that's impressive. It also conjured up the image of water ripples (I'd call this crease the Mirage), but 'third boob' did not come to mind. lol

So, basically, I think there's nothing wrong with it. I think the same thing about any fedora with very symmetrical, perfect crown forming. I think the same thing about 'Gus' creases and 'Crystal Skulls', that 'Roy Rogers' number and whatever that 'Arrowhead' type crease was I saw once or twice. To me, they are all somewhat of a novelty and just because I like the more crinkly, cavalier style of creasing a fedora doesn't mean what you've done is wrong, Jimmy. It's actually amazing to me in the way that I can appreciate certain styles of automobiles or architecture even though I wouldn't necessarily want to own them for my own use.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
That being said, whether the ultimate result is aesthetically pleasing in context is the real question. So, I really do like the look of the crease viewed in isolation. In context, however, I'm not so sure that it works organically with the overall look of the fedora. Because it's so different, I'm going to give it a little time to sink in before I decide what to do.
Cheers,
JtL

That's why it would be good to see it on your head. By itself it looks neat, but I'm not sure how it'll look when you wear it.

How about a mug shot?

Mr. Paladin

Jimmy, I think this exercise proves you are indeed, the Chief of the Crease Po-lice! Beautifully executed and styled; not for me but still--amazing!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Only a double bash Jimmy? I call this my "ripple of life on the pond over the head" crease. Once you get the 2nd crease, the others get easier. :D

ripple_hat-1-2.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
bolthead said:
Looks more like a rose of some sort. [huh]

bolthead,

That is a Photoshop rendition I made for this thread. Not the PHOTOSHOP ULTRA DIAMOND PLATINUM professional edition, that Tom D. suspected. Just the regular one. I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that. I don't have that much time and talent. :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Chuck Bobuck said:
Only a double bash Jimmy? I call this my "ripple of life on the pond over the head" crease. Once you get the 2nd crease, the others get easier. :D

That is hilarious! Nicely done. lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just catchin' up to this thread today. Gene -- thanks for weighing in. ;)
And thanks for the continuing feedback from everyone.

kaosharper1 -- I'm not sure the noggin' shot would be that useful. I can tell you that, from the front and sides, the hat looks absolutely no different than before. The only difference would be the view from behind, depending on the angle. So, really, the overall look of the hat in general is pretty much the same.

I have deliberately set out the hat so that I can see it regularly when I'm wandering around the house -- just to see whether the whole look starts to be a little less novel and a bit more familiar over time. We'll see how it goes...:)

Cheers,
JtL

feltfan

I've been trying to resist sayin' this...

But there's just one thing this shape reminds me of...

232-kunkimage11.jpg

Really, I'm just being honest. The hat looks good, but
inevitably, that's what I think. Too busy and, well...

There's a sort of zen to an understated, casual pinched hat.
That's what I usually prefer.

Sorry if I offended anyone (particularly JtL), but ... just sayin'.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
feltfan, is that a candy kiss or a gold-plated poop? Never seen something like that. [huh]

-----------

Chuck Bobuck, I'm gonna' send Mr. Paladin over to revoke your 'artistic license'! lol

feltfan

Sorry JtL, just callin' it as I see it. No offense intended.

HPG, er, the latter. I tried to find the, er, most polite
rendition I could come across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch