Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Hamlet

New in Town
I personally like having all my stuff in one place..

Absolutely.

Been carrying compact black camera bags for years. And getting teased about it for years by my friends. But I never leave home without a camera. And I ride in the rain. So pockets are not an option.

Truthfully though I have always liked shoulder bags. My favorite was the Banana Republic bag I couldn't afford or justify as a young adult just starting out. Those early catalogs! A dear friend gifted me the Paratrooper bag as a surprise and I have kept it for 30 yrs. It now sees lots of use as a laptop bag, like it was made for it.

paratrooperbag-1_zps269cf3db.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not one to have any fancy ties to a way to transport things that just will not fit in my pockets, I do have a few leather briefcases and a few metal security ones as well. But recently I just seem to go ahead and grab the old cheap store shopping bags, they work just as well and need not be worried about as much and I have plenty of them!

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely.

Been carrying compact black camera bags for years. And getting teased about it for years by my friends. But I never leave home without a camera. And I ride in the rain. So pockets are not an option.

Truthfully though I have always liked shoulder bags. My favorite was the Banana Republic bag I couldn't afford or justify as a young adult just starting out. Those early catalogs! A dear friend gifted me the Paratrooper bag as a surprise and I have kept it for 30 yrs. It now sees lots of use as a laptop bag, like it was made for it.

paratrooperbag-1_zps269cf3db.jpg

I have often looked at these. I would be reluctant to carry one with the military symbol on it (though unlikely to be readily recognised, I would hate for it to be misinterpreted as a particular political statement). How big is it? I could possible stitch something else over the top...

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, I carry a lot of things with me when I go out, and for a long time, I've relied on a satchel or a bag or something to carry my crud around in. Not a man-bag. Not a murse. Not a man purse. A bag.

Call it what the hell it is, please. None of this famous 21st century masculine sexual insecurity that everyone seems to be infected with. I'm scared to be around other men, now.

This bag, which another poster stuck up, seems to be what I'd really like:

1945_US_Army_Briefcase.jpg

It's simple, classic, stylish, leather.

My only gripe is that it doesn't come with a shoulder-strap. If that was added, it'd be perfect for me.

So I shall keep looking. My current bag is about half the size of that one, and it doesn't hold anywhere NEAR what I wish it did. Also, it's getting pretty worn out. It can hold maybe half a dozen small things, two medium things, or one very large thing. NOT all those at once.

It makes packing it for the day, very very tricky. Especially when the weather's dodgy and I don't know if I should, or should not take an umbrella. It's either bring the umbrella and leave all the essentials at home. Or leave the umbrella, bring my stuff, and risk getting drenched.

J.W.

A-List Customer
I have often looked at these. I would be reluctant to carry one with the military symbol on it (though unlikely to be readily recognised, I would hate for it to be misinterpreted as a particular political statement). How big is it? I could possible stitch something else over the top...

Edward, I believe you can get them without the patch. Try rothco.com.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Give a man a bag and everyone raises an eyebrow---stick a fly rod in is hand and suddenly he becomes Macho--
Funny world we live in.

Albert.Tatlock

Familiar Face
im rather taken with the idea of carrying an empty Binocular case to prevent unseemly 'Bulges' in my trousers, something small to carry cell phone, keys, camera, wallet, hip flask, slung over your shoulder with a nice suit or jacket and a jaunty hat, although the neighbours will be sure your heading off every morning to Santa Anita/Ascot Race Track

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32098707...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_9641wt_1165

Hamlet

New in Town

According to the ad it is 15x11x3.5 inches.

I have the luxury in that the politics of others are not my concern, my business, or welcomed.

Edward

Bartender
Call it what the hell it is, please. None of this famous 21st century masculine sexual insecurity that everyone seems to be infected with. I'm scared to be around other men, now.

Meh. I proudly refer to mine as a manbag.... and I have several. Horses for courses, but my perception has always been that getting upset about that type of terminology is indicative of insecurity. [huh] Now I think of it, mind, I can also see your point in that perhaps the implicit feminisation of 'manbag' etc suggests that it is effeminate for a man to carry a bag. Interesting notion... wouldn't say you're wrong.

This bag, which another poster stuck up, seems to be what I'd really like:

1945_US_Army_Briefcase.jpg

Yeah, that's gorgeous. One day I want to have something like that. I've also long had my eye on the Saddleback Leather stuff, though I can't see me taking one of those to the office on a daily basis (need something more 'refined' looking for that - this would fit that bill).

Edward, I believe you can get them without the patch. Try rothco.com.

Thanks, I'll do that.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not saying that it's effeminate to carry a bag. I'm saying that it lacks sexual security, if you get my drift, to call it a "manbag". Why do we have to make all these stupid words up these days? Man-cave. Mansscaping. Mantiques. What, we don't have any balls anymore?

Edward

Bartender
I'm not saying that it's effeminate to carry a bag. I'm saying that it lacks sexual security, if you get my drift, to call it a "manbag". Why do we have to make all these stupid words up these days? Man-cave. Mansscaping. Mantiques. What, we don't have any balls anymore?

What I meant was I think you're saying it's not the carrying a bag that is effeminate, you're objecting to labelling it thus in a way that implies that it is effeminate, no? All rather reminds me of when Hard Candy introduced a range of nail varnish they called "CandyMan", aimed at men - then there was guyliner. All at twice the price. I just laughed and carried on buying the "girls'" stuff, myself. :)

I think you call them 'manballs' these days...

lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What I meant was I think you're saying it's not the carrying a bag that is effeminate, you're objecting to labelling it thus in a way that implies that it is effeminate, no? All rather reminds me of when Hard Candy introduced a range of nail varnish they called "CandyMan", aimed at men - then there was guyliner. All at twice the price. I just laughed and carried on buying the "girls'" stuff, myself.

Yes, that's correct. I object to it because well, it just seems unnecessary. I don't see why they have to do it. That's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto