Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Edward

Bartender
Ok, I have a question about this elephant. I have had a few man-bags recently. Mostly they carry an extra diaper, extra rounds, small first aid kit, pens, paper, and the general stuff. However, I’m about to move up in the world and I will soon be wearing suits as daily work wear. What do y’all think about a regular square leather briefcase? The basic kind with a handle on top, and well, just square.

Can be nice, though personally I'd never buy one without a shoulder strap. With just ahandle they're fine of you don't carry much weight and never carry them any real distance (i.e. if you drive everywhere), but if you're walking / on public transport, it's much easier to be able to bear the weight on your shoulder.

I've used a lot of different bags over the years, from nylon rucksacks to canvas army surplus bags to leather bgriefcases and all points in between. By this point, my choice would tend to be leather for wearing with a suit, or canvas for more casual applications. Currently, my main work briefcase, also used when travelling internationally with work as a key hand luggage piece, is this:

https://www.theleatherbriefcase.co.uk/shop/castellatto-favourite-leather-briefcase/

I'd like one day to have a couple of Saddleback Leather pieces for travelling, but that's a way off, money-wise. I also regularly use a cheaper, traditional leather satchell (I think I paid about GBP50, though that was before they became as fashionable as they are now). Mine is black, and looks like this:

black_satchel_bag_02.jpg

These are also readily available in all sorts of brown shades. If you're not going to be carrying a huge amount, they make good daybags. Mine is regularly used to and from work when all I want to throw in are a couple of books, diary, and my Surface. For a larger laptop, you'd need something bigger (mine is 15", about the largest in which these traditional models come. I think I could fit a medium sized laptop in there, ut there wouldn't be much room for anything else). Mind you, I'd be very wary about going large 'just in case' - I find the bag that is "just big enough" does encourage me to think twice about how much junk I carry on the move 'just in case', but I suppose it all depends what you consider essential. A lot of the guys on here are carrying multi-tools, knives, guns and all sorts that I obviously don't. There are also versions of these satchels with a handle on top so you could carry it like a traditional briefcase if you wanted.

Over the next few months, I'd like to buy myself a Brady Bag. Traditional fieldsports / fishing bags, made in England. These I see more as ideal for casual use, or with tweeds and such - they are a country design, but in my opinion in one of the soberer colours - the all-black version, or the navy blue with black leather fittings - they could do as well with a business suit without looking out of place. They are also available in leather, though that does jack up the price a bit. The canvas versions are very solid. Most significantly, unlike the cheap, army-surplus bags we used to carry to school, Brady bags are triple-thickness and waterproof.

41UFx-z45JL._SX300_.jpg
Brady-ARIEL-S-007259-Navy.jpg
arieltroutlargeleatherbagbybrady_large.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I use a Halliburton briefcase for work, but for casual outings, I sometimes use a canvas bag like Jack Bauer used to use (before it appeared in the show, I hasten to add, now I can't use it), an Eastpak 'delegate' when traveling (small enough for hand luggage, but has a pretty good expansion feature), but my favorite is an order made Bag N Noun that my wife got me a couple of years back- dark brown canvas, lots of internal pockets, good sized shoulder bag for day trips and 'stuff'.

Oh yeah, I got a Brady too. Build quality is top notch, but just a little too fussy for me. The wife uses it more than I do.

Although, in all honesty, bags with my leather jackets drive me nuts, so I try to avoid shoulder luggage whenever I can. I have a vintage issue musette bag, but even when I use it with my A-2's, I don't feel like Greg Peck.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I must say that Castelletto Classic Leather PC Briefcase is really, really, nice. I think the price is good too.

It does the job well. I have a couple of travel gladstones/holdalls from them too and thry have held up well. Not in the Saddleback league, but very impressive for the money, and certainly up to my needs for work and work travel.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Since my last post to this thread I've stopped carrying a briefcase and rarely wear a suit coat or sportcoat, meaning I've had to reconfigure my carry situation. I took a page from my brother's book and picked up an old "ARMY LIGHTWEIGHT SERVICE MASK" bag--a WWII design, though mine has "51" stamped on it a couple places and is quite green, so it might have been produced for Korea. I figured if it worked for my brother's camera it would work for my wallet, keys, phone, sunglasses and such. I was right and I heartily recommend it. They're even reproduced!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
For what it's worth I also posted this in the "murse" thread. I was told hand made by a craftsman in Puerto Rico in the 80's. Ebay steal ($26) shipping today.
$_1.jpg
$_1-4.jpg
$_1-2.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
On the way from Ca. Jack Georges University Collection model # 2499. Still in production at $568 retail list. This one is at least 25 yrs old. Ebay find for $48.
$_1-8.jpg

robrinay

One Too Many
On eBay.uk they're in clothes shoes and accessories and in sporting goods hunting accessories, but it's quicker to search for 'messenger bag' hunting bag fishing bag or use the name of your favoured brand e.g. Brady bag or Barbour bag coach bag mail satchel usps bag post bag etc.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Jack Georges University Collection #2456. Still in production at $368.00 retail list. This bag is at least 25 years old. Darker then pictured. Ebay find $19.99
$_1-23.jpg
$_1-14.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Currently rocking a Tucano Urbano 'Ninja' bag that goes over the shoulder or around the waist. Can fit in my wallet, phone, shades & several other daily manly items...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would anyone else agree that there's a limit to the niceness of a briefcase? I recently saw a Saddleback Classic Briefcase in the wild and thought to myself that I couldn't possibly carry one in public. Even in a town not noted for its subtlety, this object just screamed status symbol to an embarrassing extent. Beautiful orangey leather, but stiff-looking like a small piece of furniture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk