Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elephant in the Room - Man Purse

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I like some of the stuff at Custom Hide, but does every leather backpack have to look like a woman's purse?! The LL Bean Heritage Rucksack is a nice departure from the woman's purse look, but I didn't much like the sheepskin on the shoulder straps.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
1945_US_Army_Briefcase.jpg

My WW2 USAAF bag (forgot official designation) is just like that. Unfortunately someone cut large chunks of leather out of the top flap. :rage:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
You could just shear it off Jack!! lol
I could! I've had so little luck finding a rucksack that I like that I may end up going back to the waxed canvas one and just dealing with it or modifying it. They are just about the best thing I've found thus far. LL Bean with think I'm neurotic if I buy another one, of course!

Kodiak, how large of a leather satchel are you looking for? Is your laptop the limiting factor? What else do you plan to carry?

The D.A.

Familiar Face
I agree with you, Mojave, about Custom Hide's backpacks. I think that their briefcases are excellent, but anyone searching for a ruck should look elsewhere. I'm partial to Duluth Pack's Wanderer. A bit expensive, but I love the look.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave, I'm notorious for having to modify just about everything I purchase so it suits my picky nature. I have the L.L. Bean rucksack and love it...for the most part. I'm not too partial for or against the fleece shoulder straps, but I definitely do not like the modern synthetic mesh back. However, upon close examination I do not think the pack would be difficult to modify. The straps could easily be removed or simply cut near their anchor point and replaced with a simple canvas or leather strap. The back will take more effort to replace, but I have been thinking of simply covering it with another piece of waxed cotton. The pack is actually nothing more than your basic khaki twill with a wax treatment. The material can be purchased almost anywhere and Nikwax sells the waterproofing wax for cotton. I'm also looking at Bean's canvas shoulder bag. It looks just the right size for holding my camera gear, field guides, etc.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hmmm.... I dunno, Looks a little cheesey.

Seems like LL Bean has gone vanilla. Lots of bland and blah. Nothing that really grabs me anymore. I have a Christmas present to return to them and can't find a darn thing I want (that isn't already sold out. BEAN - HELLO!? Stock more of the Lambswool cardigans - you run out in Oct every blinking YEAR!) :rage:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, you might be right. LL Bean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic...they've all lost a lot of the appeal they once had for me. I was fully prepared to debate the LL Bean question, until I went into their upland clothing section, and I still couldn't find anything that really grabbed me. If only I could afford Filson, Orvis, and Territory Ahead I wouldn't need anything else!

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Substitutes for "Man Purse" ?

If a guy's not heading to the office, how about cargo pants! Plenty of pockets for lots of stuff.

The best equivalent for a "man purse" that I can think of would be that very unisex bag, the "fannny pack"! Wear it over the shoulder, around the waste, or carry it by the strap. Only an absolute idiot would criticize a guy for wearing - or carrying - a fanny pack. :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For some reason, Im weary of a guy that does not carry a bag.

I associate carrying a bag as going somewhere to do things with things. A destination, purpose. He has tools on his person that will aid in his productivity as a citizen for the day, and maybe a tasty lunch to boot.

LD

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What kinda tools would a guy carry, regularly, that wouldn't better go in a tool box or set of bags (tool belt)? [huh]

I mean, if I'm wearing a suit and carrying a bag it's unlikely I'm preparing to remodel a kitchen (though I could, I have mad skillz).

If you've got a lighter, Leatherman and flashlight (and mad skillz) there's no non-specialized task you can't do, in any milieu. Those 3 things barely take pockets. :)

I admit the tasty lunch is a HUGE trump card, I'll never look at a man with a bag the same way again... :D

.oO(mental note - figure out a way to always have a tasty lunch on hand)

Story

I'll Lock Up
griffer said:
Great thread!
Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache

Beware anything labeled 'Tactical', lest ye become a Mall Ninja.

carebear said:
What kinda tools would a guy carry, regularly, that wouldn't better go in a tool box or set of bags (tool belt)? [huh]

Probably that day's copy of the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. Newsprint on white cuffs is icky.

carebear said:
I admit the tasty lunch is a HUGE trump card, I'll never look at a man with a bag the same way again... :D

Good thing you're outta the Corps now. :p

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

90% of the time I have no need to carry a bag. My car is just a few steps from my front door and I park just a few steps from my office door. Most of the time my briefcase stays in the car. I do find I need one for the occasional meeting or when traveling. When I do, I take this Jack George case:

JG7505_lg.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
WideBrimm said:
If a guy's not heading to the office, how about cargo pants! Plenty of pockets for lots of stuff.

The best equivalent for a "man purse" that I can think of would be that very unisex bag, the "fannny pack"! Wear it over the shoulder, around the waste, or carry it by the strap. Only an absolute idiot would criticize a guy for wearing - or carrying - a fanny pack. :D

The most practical solution isn't always the one with the most finesse. For example, Tupperware is better for storing and transporting food than doggie bags. But would you really bring Tupperware to a restaurant? :eek:

Some of the bags shown on this thread are masculine and attractive, much more so than carrying things on one's legs or on one's, err, fanny. If that makes me an absolute idiot, so be it.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I suppose if I were more businessman than working stiff, I'd have need for a briefcase of some sort. As it is, everything I carry fits in my pockets. If I'm dressed up, I minimize what I'm carrying, even down to my keys; I have a keyring with nothing more than my car keys on it.

If I can't carry it without it making unsightly lumps in my clothing, I probably don't need it. I still fit quite a bit in my pockets. Pen, keys, knife, challenge coin, wallet, military ID, comb, PDA.

Were I still a full-time student I'd use a backpack. I used to use an OD Isreali paratrooper bag, which was always stuffed to the gills and eventually wore out to the point I couldn't even repair it. I no longer need to tote around 30+ lbs of books and notes.

I carry a black nylon backpack while on duty, it holds my ear defenders, a few extra sets of earplugs, my most current CDC, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, reflective belt and whatever other common odds and ends I might need. It usually stays in my car unless there's something I know I'll need out of it...which would proabably be the case for any bag or briefcase I'd have.

If you're male and carrying a clutch bag, find a way to cut down the amount of stuff you carry. Seriously. Fit it in your pockets.

...and just say no to the gooberisim that is the fanny pack.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
For some reason, Im weary of a guy that does not carry a bag.

I associate carrying a bag as going somewhere to do things with things. A destination, purpose. He has tools on his person that will aid in his productivity as a citizen for the day, and maybe a tasty lunch to boot.

LD

I agree with you, Lady Day. On top of feeling that a bag completes a look (I find myself admiring the bags of both female and male passengers on the subway all the time) sometimes it is interesting to observe the things they produce from bags, especially books or writing materials.

I never go anywhere without a bag, as I tend to make long journeys on a daily basis, and have a hyperactive mind and imagination that must ALWAYS be occupied. Sudoku, books, sketchbooks, knitting...I cannot be accused of idle hands. :)

Steve

Practically Family
To avoid the connotation of "man purse," I carry my "bag," (and that's all that I call it,) with me only when I'm carrying books or writing materials. Or, as the case was last Sunday, a keyboard pedal I loaned to a friend.

My bag isn't very attractive or stylish, but it is functional for my books, notebooks, sketch pads, and photographic equipment. Some of you might recognize it as the same model Jack Bauer carried on 24.

B000IS2BGK.01-A297CMH5CE4RPW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V47559190_.jpg

Once I get a job that requires more distinguished accouterments, I'll invest in an attache or briefcase, but until I get a job that requires shoes, (I work in a karate school,) this one will do. :p

MB5

One of the Regulars
Shoulder Bag

I have been trying to locate this bag for quite some time, and was wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction.

I have seen some very similar ones posted in the past, but I cannot even find those now.

Thanks!

bag.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko