Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ernest Hemingway Thread

Connery

One Too Many
Ernest Hemingway reading books with his dog Negrita at Finca Vigia in Cuba.

eh%204449p.jpg

The grave markers of four of Hemingway’s pet dogs who lived with him at Finca Vigia.
2306472907_a40445777a_b.jpg

Link is for a slide tour of Hemingway's house in Cuba. Very interesting.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/slideshow/hemingwayhouse/soundslider.swf

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell To Arms"

I loved to take her hair down.... I would take down the pins and lay them on the sheet and it would be loose and I would...take out the last two pins and it would all come down and she would drop her head and we would both be inside of it... I would lie sometimes and watch her twisting it up... and it shone even in the night as water shines sometimes just before it is really daylight.

Connery

One Too Many
^^^

This selection is romantic, powerful and very comforting. I beleive Hemingway was inspired to write this through his "relationship" with Agnes von Kurowsky. IIRC one of her her yellow hair pins was found under his pillow by another person and as she put it, "I think both Ernie and I got through it pretty well."

Last edited:

Connery

One Too Many
"For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn".-Attributed to Ernest Hemingway

"In the 1920s, Ernest Hemingway’s friends and colleagues bet him that he couldn’t write a COMPLETE story in just six words. As you can read above, they had to pay up. " I do not know if this is true or the stuff of legend.:)

Baby%20Shoes%20Hemingway.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
Yes, it's a strange hat .... I'm sure that's the only time Hem wore it! :)

^^^

I agree, he probably handled that hat the same way he did the rest of his "big game", he stuffed it and mounted it on his wall.:p

Here is another hat from his days with Hadley.

Ernest_hadley.jpg

Icthruu74

New in Town
^^^ :p

Hem in Africa with his son Gregory, what a strange hat Hem is wearing .....or is it just me? that hat doesn't look right? umm

img_archivio1432011173144.jpg

Actually that's a pronghorn that they are admiring, so I would guess this photo is from Wyoming. Through my reading he mentions Stetsons quite often, so probably a Stetson, but I haven't seen a crown like that before

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Icthruu74 even though I am not a total expert in hats I have to agree that the crown does seem a bit excessive!:p

Connery I think the photo with Hadley was taken in Spain.... there is another picture taken by Man Ray, where he is wearing a similar hat, may be even the same one...:)

hat with bandaged head...
In the late 20s " Hemingway suffered a severe injury in his Paris bathroom, when he pulled a skylight down on his head thinking he was pulling on a toilet chain. This left him with a prominent forehead scar, which he carried for the rest of his life."
16-1.jpg

Now...this is a hat I like much more! :D:eusa_clap

1306938501.jpg

Connery

One Too Many
^^^
That is much better.:p

"Then he was pulling open the door of Harry’s bar
and was inside and he had made it again, and was at home.”

"So begins a chapter in Ernest Hemingway’s 1950 novel, Across the River and Into the Trees. He even went on to put the bar’s proprietor, Giuseppe Cipriani, into the novel as Giuseppe Cipriani—the only time a living person appeared in any of Hemingway’s fiction."

hemingwaybepicipriani.jpg

Giuseppe Cipriani and Ernest Hemingway

sc001ae82b.jpg

Harry's Bar(1931)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Now I want a Bellini......

That is the speciality of the house!

To explain to all our friends,....."A Bellini is a long drink cocktail that originated in Venice. It is a mixture of sparkling wine (traditionally Prosecco) and peach purée.

images-25.jpg

But of course we know Papa liked Daiquiris :D

Connery

One Too Many
Giuseppe Cipriani, general founder of Harry's Bar on Hemingway

"During the long, cold winter of 1949-50, Ernest Hemingway installed himself comfortably in the Concordia room. Hemingway practically dropped in on us that year, and divided his time between the Inn on Torcello, the Gritti, and Harry's Bar, where he had a table of his own in a corner. He was the only client with whom once during an outing to Torcello I had to drink a little myself – much, much more than a little, actually – just to keep up with him.

Hemingway was the only client, I was saying, because I have always believed that the client's place is on one side of the counter, and the barman's is on the other. Everything in its place....but he had such an overwhelming personality that it was impossible to maintain any barriers.

He was generous to a fault, and filled more pages of his check-book than those of a medium length novel.

At the time, he was just finishing "Over the River and Into the Trees" in which he mentions Harry's Bar many times. Every time I hear someone say "Hemingway sure gave you a lot of free promotion!" I say: "You're all wet, Bud. It was me and my bar that promoted him. They gave him the Nobel prize afterwards, not before."

eh-served-harry.jpg

"Across the bar" soon tuned into "across the table" or so goes the story of the picture in my previous post (shown below).

hemingwaybepicipriani.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points