Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Famous Bogart Ring & Hollywood Bling

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Some of you fine gentlemen may know what I am speaking of from the get go. Throughout his career, Bogie always wore a ring. A gold ring that featured two rubbies with a diamond between them. I am on a quest to replicate this ring for myself, now that the Casablanca dinner jacket is in the can. Do any of you know where I should start, custom jewelry makers perhaps, do you of know any?:cool2:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bogart Ring

This ring was given to Humphrey DeForest by his father. He whore it in many movies....you can see it if you pay attention.
I bet Betty or Stephen has it now.l

Imahomer

Practically Family
Now that is a great project. Once a good photo or two of it can be gotten, it shouldn't be too hard to replicate it.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I have found several photos of Bogie with the ring on, in a book I have. None of which are super close up, however they are just good enough to see the detail. Mk, perhaps you could look through your Bogie book collection and see what photos you come up with??:cool2:

Sergei

Gone Home
I hope this is helpful. Take a look at this:
thehollywoodcollection_1760_1980489

This picture came from a site that sells Bogart rings for presents to groomsmen.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thehollywoodcollection/humbogrub.html

hb176.jpg

Above picture from, "Beat the Devil". I just saw the DVD over the weekend. It was hilarious.

-S

schwammy

Familiar Face
Wow, nice work, Sergei! I was always under the impression that Bogart's ring had round jewels, not square ones. Oh well.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Seems like there's a decent shot of a "ring" in Casablanca, maybe in the drunk scene? I don't know if it's the same ring or not, but it seemed distinctive. I'll have to check the DVD when I get home tonight.

Brad Bowers

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The Famous Bogart Ring

This is what I like about this site. A person says "I'm looking for the Bogart" and someone else says "You can get it here."

Brother, I'm glad I found you cats!

Feraud

Bartender
Wasn't Bogey's ring cut with round stones?

This reads like J Peterman style text.
"I was an orphan until I was 20, and then a rich and beautiful woman adopted me."

She probably gave him that gorgeous ring as a token of her maternal affection.
I read somewhere that Bogey's dad gave him the ring as a graduation gift.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wiki:

During 1930-1935 period, Bogart had hard times. He shuttled back and forth between Hollywood and the New York stage, suffering long periods without work. His parents were living separately and Belmont died in 1934 in debt, which Bogart eventually paid off. (Bogart inherited his father’s gold ring which he always wore, even in his films. At his father’s deathbed, Bogart finally told Belmont how much he loved him.)

I inherited a ring from my father that is the reverse of this one: red stone in the center, small diamonds on either side.

You can see this ring clearly at Bogart's entrance signing "OK. Rick." on a voucher. He picks up the cigarette, then we see his face, and there's the ring.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great thread !!

Mmmmm, I'm not a big ring man, but...could be persuaded on this one. I do like a nice little English Signet ring with the family crest on my little digit.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the website -- I love looking at those replicas that famous stars wore. A Bette Davis ring caught my eye.

What's with all the champagne rings? I don't see anyone wearing rings that color these days? Hair color -- yes; rings, no.

I have a replica of (don't laugh, don't gag) the pink ring JLo got from Affleck when they were an item not too many years ago. Hers cost a couple of million, mine was $35. Got it off eBay. Where else?

On the whole, I'd rather wear Ingrid's replicas....

karol

Edward

Bartender
Like the look of the Bogart ring, I'd add one of those to my collection.... pity it's gold plate over silver, though - I'd rather pay a little more for 9ct gold.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Edward said:
pity it's gold plate over silver

That's only thing keeping me from buying it. If it was even gold-filled I've have bought one years ago when I'd first seen it in a catalog. The electroplate will wear off in less than 6 months.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Cubic zirconia, GI Joe Adventure set rubies and a spray wash of gold over a tin Orphan Annie Decoder chassis, and all for $155? Sounds like the polyester suit of jewellry. Not on my pinky.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, if anyone wants to go to NH to have it done, my cousin is a jeweler and will have it made for you with the friend-of-family discount. Plus - NH - no sales tax! (This is a real offer, I have her info if anyone wants it. PM me.)

Otherwise, go to a local jeweler and have it made. This is a very simple design. I bet you could get one for under $1000.

Marlin Fan

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Well, if anyone wants to go to NH to have it done, my cousin is a jeweler and will have it made for you with the friend-of-family discount. Plus - NH - no sales tax! (This is a real offer, I have her info if anyone wants it. PM me.)

PM Sent....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points