Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Futbol War

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
I know this isn't WW2 but it involves ww2 aircraft. Does anyone know about the Futbol War of the late 60s where surplus Corsairs and P51s were squaring off against eachother and C47s had been converted into heavy bombers.

Anyone know much about this small war?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Fascinating, I had never heard of it. Although elsewhere I had read in a historical fiction novel the use of C-47's by Israel as bombers by pushing bombs manually out the cargo door during the 1948 war.

Matt

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Fascinating, I had never heard of it. Although elsewhere I had read in a historical fiction novel the use of C-47's by Israel as bombers by pushing bombs manually out the cargo door during the 1948 war.

Matt

I had heard the same thing about Israel during the 1948 war, but I heard it as second hand info not from a historical fiction novel.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It was the final Piston Engine Vs Piston Engine Dog Fight in history. Corsairs won the day! The Israelis also used B-17s to bomb Cairo, they picked up German bombs in Czechoslovakia and since the shackles didn't quite fit, one man had to stand on the bomb bay catwalk and kick them lose! No bomb accuracy needless to say.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I am not sure what ever happened to the aircraft, but a Corsair that was used during that war was on display and flown out of the museum ‘Planes of Fame’ in Eden Prairie, MN. The museum has since been closed and I think the aircraft went to the Planes of Fame in Chino, CA. It had a couple bullet holes in it from that war and the museum never patched them up. That was the first I had ever heard of the Futbol War. I might have a picture of it somewhere. I’ll post it if I can find it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
The aircraft that I photographed was a Goodyear FG-1D Corsair BuNo 92629, which is one of a slew that were bought after their service in El Salvador and Honduras. Several are still making air shows throughout the country.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points