Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" The Great British Hat Makers "

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
Babygirl, welcome here and many many thanks for the nice comment! I hope you enjoy the lounge and the new stuff everyday here.
You will come to Germany? That sounds great. You will have a great time here. If you love fleamarkets then you are right here in Germany.
If you have luck you will find not only some old Hats and Caps here!

Thanks for the warm welcome Chepstow! I will be sure and get directions from you of all the best places to go if I ever get the chance to visit...:)

Mr.Astor

Banned
I'm new to the lounge, I am going to look at a hat tomorrow according to the person that owns the hat,they stated on the inside it says hat makers to the royal family roger Heath or Robert Heath leather hat box according to description could be bowler or just an open crown that has not been creased. Asking price is $40.00 hat and box? My question to all of you is it worth my time or money?? And was the manufacturer truly a supplier to the royal family? Any help I would appreciate it! Thanks everyone

Mr.Astor

Banned
Bump my inquiry on my request for info on Heath hat. This is what is stamped inside the hat,guess I gotta buy it! Old saying you can't let it sit their for that price!!!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr Astor - Robert Heath was the son of Henry Heath (also a hatter) who set up on his own rather than joining the family firm. He was a fashionable hat maker in the late 19th/early 20th C. Yes they supplied the Royal household, but to be honest so did most of the hat makers of the time (I suspect finding one that didn't might be easier than finding one who did!). For $40 you've probably got a steal - boxes in decent condition tend to sell for more than that.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Good afternoon Manfred- well I picked up the Robert Heath hat and box,alas it was not a Heath box but a very old curved top Knox box which is in very good condition, now the the hat! liner states to her royal majesty the queen and family Robert Heath 37 39 Knightsbridge. No sweatband. Liner is in great shape paper backed behind liner. Felt! very shallow moth bite's easily sanded out,hat is very stiff Bowler (like a drum) 3/4" ribbon. Grey in color. If I could I would send you pics. Don't know this system on the lounge over the holiday's I hope to master it. Leave me a message if that's possible. Cheers and have a Merry Christmas.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Hi guys according to some research I have done on Robert Heath. His death and will are on reference sites according to them he died in 1871 he did not leave the company to anyone,so I'm thinking it is Queen Victoria,George the sixth was well after Heaths death. What puzzles me is the Knightsbridge address! Number 37-39 Knightsbridge SW are the only building's still standing today they were preserved all the rest of the neighborhood has been torn down according to what I read. His life was quite fascinating there are pictures of his grave site,his wife's,his will. He died a very wealthy man obviously estranged from his parent's over the Jeffcoat association

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys according to some research I have done on Robert Heath. His death and will are on reference sites according to them he died in 1871 he did not leave the company to anyone,so I'm thinking it is Queen Victoria,George the sixth was well after Heaths death. What puzzles me is the Knightsbridge address! Number 37-39 Knightsbridge SW are the only building's still standing today they were preserved all the rest of the neighborhood has been torn down according to what I read. His life was quite fascinating there are pictures of his grave site,his wife's,his will. He died a very wealthy man obviously estranged from his parent's over the Jeffcoat association

Robert Heath died in 1903, not 1871.

After his death the company carried on (his will had the provision for it to be sold to another hatter). I've seen adverts for Robert Heath hats from the mid 20's, and it may well have carried on until the 50's so the Queen may or may not be Victoria. Photos would help estimate the age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points