Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The great flood of 1926-1927

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The Great Flood even inspired a minor genre of river songs. "River, Stay 'Way from My Door", "Muddy Water", "Ready for the River", "Mississippi Flood" etc.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I caught a Weather Channel special on the great US floods a while back and the 26-27 flood was prominently featured. Before that I had a vague recollection of it but had no idea of its scale and longevity. For some reason the Johnstown flood seems to get all the notoriety.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
If memory serves, this event is occasionally used to illustrate the end of the independent or self sufficient era in America. A fund was created help out victims yet very few people applied ... they didn't want to be seen as taking charity, no matter the cost. By the end of the depression this attitude had changed significantly.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
If memory serves, this event is occasionally used to illustrate the end of the independent or self sufficient era in America. A fund was created help out victims yet very few people applied ... they didn't want to be seen as taking charity, no matter the cost. By the end of the depression this attitude had changed significantly.

Well. So said the American Liberty League. The truth of the matter was that folks throughout the basin were clamoring for more, not less, assistance . The funds which were raised by the states and by private charity being utterly insufficient to meet the needs of the inundated areas. So, yes, the Great Flood was the beginning of modern Big Government, so called, but for precisely the opposite of the reason fabricated by the Mieses types.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Of course I wasn't in the Great Flood of 1926-27, but I dang sure was in the middle of the flood following Hurricane Floyd in 1999. English-speaking people have been living in this area longer than almost anywhere else in the USA. River flood records here go back well over three hundred years. Hurricane Floyd blew them all away. It is now is now the benchmark flood in North Carolina…by a wide margin. On a personal note, I bought my house on the Trent River in October of 1998. It had been built in 1985 and the river had never come close to it. But on September 20th, 1999, the water was up to the light switches in my living room.

I'm here to tell you...there is just something about watching all your possessions cascading down an angry river that sticks in your mind forever. And if I were a better song writer, something about Hurricane Floyd would definitely be a cut on my first album.

AF

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Of course I wasn't in the Great Flood of 1926-27, but I dang sure was in the middle of the flood following Hurricane Floyd in 1999. English-speaking people have been living in this area longer than almost anywhere else in the USA. River flood records here go back well over three hundred years. Hurricane Floyd blew them all away. It is now is now the benchmark flood in North Carolina…by a wide margin. On a personal note, I bought my house on the Trent River in October of 1998. It had been built in 1985 and the river had never come close to it. But on September 20th, 1999, the water was up to the light switches in my living room.

I'm here to tell you...there is just something about watching all your possessions cascading down an angry river that sticks in your mind forever. And if I were a better song writer, something about Hurricane Floyd would definitely be a cut on my first album.

AF

[video=youtube_share;gvTjkFczvvc]http://youtu.be/gvTjkFczvvc[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112