Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Gatsby - Remake in the Works

Mario

I'll Lock Up
So, I'm just curious, are they going to make this a modern update like they did with Great Expectations, where it takes place in contemporary times, or will it be a period piece, circa 1920's, straight from the book?

Cheers!

Dan

I'm pretty sure that it will be set in the 20's. Baz Luhrmann also did 'Australia' in 2008 which was noted (and even received an AA nomination) for its period accurate costumes.

I'm also rather convinced that he won't make into a musical. He already did three music-centered pieces before (Strictly Ballroom, Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rogue!) and seems to be through and done with it...

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family
oh come now I can just see the update perhaps the wild 80's in silicone valley a brash upstart computer geek romances the wife of the "old money" SOB of a typewriter/kodak film distribution company all set amid the wine country of california with soundtrack by the talking heads and the petshop boys.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I didn't like the original after reading the book so for once I'm not afraid of watching a new adaptation of a book even if there's already an older film but if they set it in another decade it'll be unwatchable to me regardless of who directs the film or who's cast.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ideally????????? lol ideally?

They OWN the 20s!

that's all ;):D

:p;)
Perhaps, but I suspect rather that their times owned them,
The Lost Generation more so; and for Fitzgerald, like
Ernest Hemingway, the 20s sowed seeds of personal destruction
and ultimate tragedy.
Gatsby is a novel ideally set in a certain time and place
in history and there it will always remain. :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I didn't like the original after reading the book so for once I'm not afraid of watching a new adaptation of a book even if there's already an older film but if they set it in another decade it'll be unwatchable to me regardless of who directs the film or who's cast.

To which original do you refer? The 1949 adaptation starring Alan Ladd or the 1974 version starring Robert Redford?

Story

I'll Lock Up
Leo DiCaprio will be rolling around the set of "The Great Gatsby" in several authentic, restored cars from the 1920s Sources connected to the production tell us ... filmmakers went to the Volo Auto Museum in Illinois last week and BOUGHT a pair of 1929 Duesenbergs and a 1929 Packard -- both intended to be used by DiCaprio's character, Jay Gatsby.

TMZ spoke to a rep from Volo who tells us three cars are valued at anywhere from $800 thousand to $3 MILLION each -- but the rep wouldn't reveal how much cash producers plunked down for the rides.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/09/great...hotos-pictures-1929-duesenbergs-1929-packard/

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face
stop_sign.jpg

:Cry::Cry::Cry:
I just saw on IMDB that there is an upcoming remake of Fright Night and Straw Dogs. Mommy, make it stop!

Edward

Bartender
Fright Night was a fun little film. I don't much see any reason to remake that one.... I did hear David Tennant will be in it, though. Straw Dogs was banned here for years. I am slowly collecting all of the old 'video nasties' on DVD, out of professional interest. 'Dogs I caught a few years ago. I was amazed (the "consensual rape" scene, which is still uncomfortable, aside) by how incredibly tame it is. I suspect a remake will be a lot more full on. Mind you, there already was a 'remake' of sorts (unofficially so, I believe) a few years ago with Danny Dyer and Gillian Anderson.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I don't think either one represented the book well. I'm hoping they get it right this time.

The 1949 version was an adaptation of the stage play, not a direct adaptation of the novel. Personally, I'm not convinced that the novel lends itself well to cinematic interpretation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto