Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I owned one of those Palomino Aero's in brown horse for awhile. It was a gorgeous jacket and honestly I prefer "hair on" style without the fur collar like the one on ebay right now. I wore it riding several times until one day while in downtown traffic on the bike I came rolling up behind a truck without realizing that it was a GIANT GARBAGE TRUCK dripping all kinds of Goo.... Now bear in mind when you are on your bike wearing a Grizzly Palomino and you are behind a vehicle like that and way too close for comfort while waiting for the light to change and hoping against hope that the bloody thing doesn't spray the living crap out of you it can be worrisome....

Fortunately a car came up beside me and asked if she could move in front of me so she could turn left (people are pretty easy going in Chattanooga). So being the gentleman I am I let her move right in front of me thus avoiding the spray that most definitely would have occurred had I stayed immediately behind that dripping monstrosity. Naturally nothing happened to the lady in the car and all was avoided. I chalked all of this up to riding my Harley with a Palomino Grizzly and quickly rode home and put it up on the Bay vowing to stay somewhat more subtle in my appearance from now on.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Here is my Aero Grizzly. FQHH cordovan with dark brown mouton, nickel fittings and Harris Tweed Houndstooth lining.
Still needs breaking in. Though will get a lot of wear in the next few months. Surprising easy to wear as it feels nice and balanced.
View attachment 30437 [
ATTACH=CONFIG]30438[/ATTACH]
View attachment 30439
That is sensational...the whole package, the lining is beautiful too....

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
That's amazing Steve, are you selling these yet, or is any other info available on what your doing?

Yes, in fact I just sent one down to your area (AU) this week. Right now I'm just working off word of mouth referrals & inquiries off forums/facebook etc. the current lineup is the grizzly, B-2, AN-j-3, Luftwaffe double breasted, & a Sears Hercules pattern from the 40's. Shoot me a message if you are interested in seeing some pics of something.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Saw this Adams Grizzly jacket on the Schott site. Sort of looks OK but not sure about the Batman style back mouton panel. The price is "from $1225" which is far more expensive than a premium Aero Grizzly. Made of mystery leather and no numbered sizing. Also no belt though there is provision for one. Maybe at extra charge. Looks like miserable value.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 274

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Pretty sure I saw that Style Eyes on eBay recently for around $300

To your point on wearability in "warm" climates; I live in Seattle which isn't exactly considered tropical and I have a hard time thinking I could stomach wearing one of these more than about 1-2 mos out of the year. So yeah, I see your point!!

Edward

Bartender
Saw this Adams Grizzly jacket on the Schott site. Sort of looks OK but not sure about the Batman style back mouton panel. The price is "from $1225" which is far more expensive than a premium Aero Grizzly. Made of mystery leather and no numbered sizing. Also no belt though there is provision for one. Maybe at extra charge. Looks like miserable value.
That's a real mutt. For me, the too-long body really ruins the style.

I'd agree the additional length at the back looks wrong. Looks like they've taken a much more modern design and stitched on the panels necessary to make it a Grizzly rather that a 'real' repro. It's that extra length at the back. I can understand the practicality, but....

I kinda like the shaping round the yoke, though.

I saw the Good Wear Grizzly last week. It is all kinds of awesome, and I'm trying to think of reasons not to buy it

Heh. I know exactly what you mean. When I first came onto TFL, I didn't like Irvins or shearlings much in general. Now I have one I've worn and loved for a few years, a B3, and I'm eying a CC Irvin repop from Aero.... After initally dismissing the Grizzly, I recently stumbled over these threads again and now they're increasingly appealling to me, dammit...

The main problem with that jacket is that I live in Melbourne, and I think that I'd spontaneously combust if I wore it here.

The one thing that makes me wary, in practical terms, is the rain....

That really is a beauty.... you're tempting me to be very naughty right at the time of year when Santa is looking! ;)

How is the fit on the Grizzly - is it comparable to a Highwayman?

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
For me, Grizzly jackets fall into the category of "looks great on him but I can't pull it off."

You aren't supposed to pull it off, you're supposed to put it on!! ;)

I know what you mean, I've had jackets before that that I thought looked awesome until I put it on then realized I looked like a soup sandwich!:eek:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a pretty number Dinerman. I'm with Super, I love looking at them, and can certainly appreciate them, just not sure if I could pull it off. I still love the LW horse hair one....very slick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana