Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hair Tutorials thread

zombi

A-List Customer
I got great spirals at the front and side of my hair, btu the back was AWFUL. Apparently I didn't do this correctly, the back didn't curl at all. My hair is fairly long -- down to the middle back where a bra strap sits, a bit longer -- and I wonder what I should do to help fix this. Any thoughts? Maybe just slide the hair around on the band and keep trying to wind it? I don't know. I'm bummed, the rest of the curl is so pretty and then just ... nothing!

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Ok, I tried out the band method last night-

Went to bed with this
IMG_3094.jpg

and woke up with this!
IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg
So pleased. Granted the curls are little looser then I prefer but I did the set on dry hair rather then wet.

Zombi- I had a little trouble getting the back wound up tight as well, my hair is shorter then yours, about APL. I just kept winding the living hell out of it rather then tucking the end in like she did in the video. I figured tucking it would just give a bump rather then a curl.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I got great spirals at the front and side of my hair, btu the back was AWFUL. Apparently I didn't do this correctly, the back didn't curl at all. My hair is fairly long -- down to the middle back where a bra strap sits, a bit longer -- and I wonder what I should do to help fix this. Any thoughts? Maybe just slide the hair around on the band and keep trying to wind it? I don't know. I'm bummed, the rest of the curl is so pretty and then just ... nothing!

I had one really straight bit at the back - the bit that you have to wind around!

I must need to wind it much more!

SheBear74

Practically Family

I thought in the video when it came to the back she slid the hair forward exposing more of the band and kept winding the hair. Mine is pretty short so when I get to the back I can only wind once then tuck the rest in.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Ok, I tried out the band method last night-

Went to bed with this
IMG_3094.jpg

and woke up with this!
IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg
So pleased. Granted the curls are little looser then I prefer but I did the set on dry hair rather then wet.

Zombi- I had a little trouble getting the back wound up tight as well, my hair is shorter then yours, about APL. I just kept winding the living hell out of it rather then tucking the end in like she did in the video. I figured tucking it would just give a bump rather then a curl.

Beautiful! You and the set! :)

crwritt

One Too Many
Odalisque, so pretty both ways! Zombi, I think you need to push the hair aside at the center back and keep winding and winding. If your hair is really long you can twist it until it makes a bun.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I agree with those who say keep winding around and around. Or in the case of lots of length, maybe section the length left and make fat pin curls, pinning to the back of your head above the band? That would prevent multiple winds around the band and give a similar result maybe.

In my haste to try this, I just couldn't wait and set it last night on damp-to-wet hair after coloring. Mistake. Of course it wasn't dry in the center parts of the rolls although certainly on the outside. I was in denial that my hair would dry before work this morning, but I so wanted to try this!

The front curled super well though, and I've decided when I try this "for real", I'm going to use larger sections of hair. Otherwise I will end up with curls the same size as what nature gave me.

Love the responses to this, and Odalisque, your hair is lovely.

crwritt

One Too Many
I agree with those who say keep winding around and around. Or in the case of lots of length, maybe section the length left and make fat pin curls, pinning to the back of your head above the band? That would prevent multiple winds around the band and give a similar result maybe.

In my haste to try this, I just couldn't wait and set it last night on damp-to-wet hair after coloring. Mistake. Of course it wasn't dry in the center parts of the rolls although certainly on the outside. I was in denial that my hair would dry before work this morning, but I so wanted to try this!

The front curled super well though, and I've decided when I try this "for real", I'm going to use larger sections of hair. Otherwise I will end up with curls the same size as what nature gave me.

Love the responses to this, and Odalisque, your hair is lovely.

You'll just have to try again with dry hair! Can't wait to see how it works on your curls.

markniklas

New in Town
Hello,

Thanks for sharing such a nice and useful tutorial for us... these links are very helpful for us to make the hair style with different ways and styles on different occasion...You have done a great work for us. I will try these tips and techniques very soon and then tell you the result.. Wish you good luck and hope for the best for next time..
Nice to meet you all...

Antje

One Too Many
Hello,

Thanks for sharing such a nice and useful tutorial for us... these links are very helpful for us to make the hair style with different ways and styles on different occasion...You have done a great work for us. I will try these tips and techniques very soon and then tell you the result.. Wish you good luck and hope for the best for next time..
Nice to meet you all...

Don't forget to post pictures in the "show us you hairdo's" section!!

markniklas

New in Town
Hello,

Nice to meet you all...

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Hair band set

My attempt...

Rolled like this:

Gave me this:

Sorry for the accidental blur in these, and the wash out in the last (trying to lighten so you could see the curl pattern better). This is with minimal brushing also - I really only went through it with a comb (lately a wooden comb has given me the least frizz). I did a bit more work on the ends to get the curls going in similar directions. Overall, I like the way the way it turned out - especially the crown area. I don't ever seem to get as smooth of a set here with foam rollers. It's probably the way I'm rolling it. I'm not great with rollers, so there's some user error there I'm sure. I don't think it gave me the ideal look, but it's a quick and easy way for me to set my hair 'sort of' retro on those nights when I do not have the time to roll.

I have experimented with wrapping certain locks of hair under the head band also, with mixed results. If I didn't have 2 cow licks at the hairline, I think wrapping under would work just fine. It removes the propensity to get that Farrah Fawcett wave in the front. Another option is to move the head band up high on the hairline so that instead of leaving a line across your forehead, it does so at the root of the hair - giving it a nice beginning for an S wave.

crwritt

One Too Many
My attempt...

Rolled like this:

Gave me this:

Sorry for the accidental blur in these, and the wash out in the last (trying to lighten so you could see the curl pattern better). This is with minimal brushing also - I really only went through it with a comb (lately a wooden comb has given me the least frizz). I did a bit more work on the ends to get the curls going in similar directions. Overall, I like the way the way it turned out - especially the crown area. I don't ever seem to get as smooth of a set here with foam rollers. It's probably the way I'm rolling it. I'm not great with rollers, so there's some user error there I'm sure. I don't think it gave me the ideal look, but it's a quick and easy way for me to set my hair 'sort of' retro on those nights when I do not have the time to roll.

I have experimented with wrapping certain locks of hair under the head band also, with mixed results. If I didn't have 2 cow licks at the hairline, I think wrapping under would work just fine. It removes the propensity to get that Farrah Fawcett wave in the front. Another option is to move the head band up high on the hairline so that instead of leaving a line across your forehead, it does so at the root of the hair - giving it a nice beginning for an S wave.

The back looks really nice,Clabbergirl, wavy and shiny.I like the look of it rolled, too. I wore mine rolled the other day to keep it out of my way while housecleaning. I didn't find myself fussing with it because it stayed put.
Here it is rolled in the headband with a scarf tied over it
265040_1425632777862_1744062716_694131_7739450_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
The back looks really nice,Clabbergirl, wavy and shiny.I like the look of it rolled, too. I wore mine rolled the other day to keep it out of my way while housecleaning. I didn't find myself fussing with it because it stayed put.
Here it is rolled in the headband with a scarf tied over it
265040_1425632777862_1744062716_694131_7739450_n.jpg

Thank you, crwitt. I brushed it out more after the photo and it smoothed rather nicely. It wants to bunch up as the day goes on though, and not sure how to combat that. Your up-do with the scarf is adorable.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
imag02987144923.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

imag03027357291.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/QUOTE]

Really cute! Did you use the book for this style? I have that title but confess I haven't looked through it in awhile.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Clabbergirl I did use the book but did 2 pin curls instead of 1 on each side. I'm still having issues doing the proper "wave" part but then I've not had pomade on hand which I'm sure would help. Guess that's why they tell you to use it huh? :lol: I love that book, it details everything which is perfect for me because I've never been great at doing my hair. Yesterday I did the Pinup Girl and I've also done the Vixen. I'll see what I can do about pictures of those too :)

Nanny Ogg

New in Town
Nice! Thank you for this tutorials. I love the hairstyles from 1940. The 1940's were so elegant! I`ll try some of these tips today.

P.S. and you all look just great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112