Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat and The Sinus

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Very recently I was asked if hats affect the sinus passages or tear ducts. Well, I had no idea as I am not aware of the actual location of these passages in the human head and whether pressure from a hat could lead to pain, congestion, etc.

So, I ask the community here: Does anyone know if hats may affect sinus passages and sinus congestion?

As far as I know, sinus passages are located right above or in the brow, around the nose, around the eyes, in the upper cheeks, behind the upper teeth, and below the ears area. Can anyone confirm or correct this? The inquiry specifically asked about hats sitting "right above the ears", meaning are there any passages there?

The best I know to respond to an inquiry such as this is to say I don't believe hats will cause any congestion or pressure. You could get some pain if you wore the hat really low in the front. As far as tear "passages" go, I don't think hats affect those at all.

Anyway, help me out here folks. I assume it would be fairly common knowledge if they did?!?!

I will swear to it that I get less sinusitis & such by wearing a hat since it seems to keep the wind off my head & regulate heat release. When younger, I'd hardly ever wear a hat with my overcoat but after sinus surgery, my ENT suggested I cover my head more. I, of course, went for my snap brim instead of wool cap.
I think it is reverse = hats don't cause sinus issues but help prevent them.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
This is nothing to sneeze at guys.

I can't speak for hats, but keeping my home properly humidified/dehumidified helped tremendously. Using a neti-pot keeps me maintained. Hats probably help a lot also, I mean...they couldn't hurt.

awest84532

Familiar Face
I'm not sure about sinuses, but I am sure about cancer. However, I do think my sinuses have been better since I started wearing hats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Proper protection from the elements will always help your health. Despite popular beliefs a hat is a essential part of that protection. Its like going out in the snow without your neck covered, or proper boots, you just wouldn't do it. Same goes for the sun. Proper protection from the sun and heat, a hat and loose fitting clothing. As for sinuses problems, if your hat is to tight It will give you headaches. Beyond that I have no idea how a hat can negatively affect you.[huh] My two cents worth.
Johnny

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
1e00de53-432a-4c35-b3c2-50b718eec88b.jpg

You don't have sinuses behind your teeth or by your ears, but sinus pressure can make those areas hurt. (Incidentally, my otolaryngologist told me that 10% of the population doesn't develop frontal sinuses.) TMJ problems can also feel like sinus pain.

If your friend has sinus pain, I suggest irrigation, acupressure and pain relievers. Cold or allergy medicines may also help. Avoid dairy products; they made your body produce mucous. I'm not a doctor or a hat expert, but I don't see how wearing a well-fitting hat would hurt.

12345Michael543

New in Town
Well, if one is prone to sun sneezing (wiki "Photic sneeze reflex" if you aren't familiar with this) bright sunlight is likely to cause sneezing and tearing. I suppose a wide-brimmed hat, which shades the eyes, could reduce the likelihood of such an experience. I guess that's at least an indirect influence hats might have on the sinus passages and tear ducts, if only for the sizable minority of people prone to such a condition.

Although wearing sunglasses is more effective. Personal experience talking, here. Not that one can't combine sunglasses with a hat, of course.
--
Michael

59Lark

Practically Family
deformed sinus cavity.

I can remember me told you have your family face, and looking at old photo even of women from my family and seeing what they spoke of. The face has a certain look to it, and now having found out that my family on my father side has a history of deformed sinus cavities. The explains why most of my family has sinus problems and wears hats. I am the only one that wears fedoras but the rest of siblings wear hats of some kind. The extreme is waking up and having a sinus headache because the breeze from the window has cause you one. I almost dont ever go out without a hat on my head, a milan straw fedora for the heat and a felt fedora for the rest and a fur trapper hat for snow storms . So i can relate to many other loungers, oh one thing that really turns me off is woman wearing baseball caps as a rule they dont look good with a few expceptions, but dont feel bad i wont wear one either 59LARK:eek:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Not only will too-tight hats give me a headache, but hats that fit 'properly' but are made in a substandard manner give me head pain, as well.

Cheaper hats that are too stiff often create pressure points. If they press on just the right/wrong spots on my head, I get a pounder.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Some good information here, folks. Lot's of interesting stories and semi-uselesslol jokes which are worth remembering as well. :p

Thanks for all the help and thoughts.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Eastern Explanations, Mom's Remedy

In traditional Eastern medicine, sinus problems can be caused by feelings of worry, grief or guilt. The feelings can cause tension that closes your sinus passages. (I used to have a lot of sinus infections when I was in school and working in a different field. The year I spent working on a loading dock, breathing in a lot--a LOT-- of dust and sitting by open garage doors all winter, I was never sick.)

Anyway, for hay fever, my mother always had me breathe into a cold, wet washcloth. It helped a lot.

LordBest

Practically Family
This is purely anecdotal evidence (I use the word loosely), but I used to spend all winter with some kind of cold, since wearing a hat when venturing out into the unforgiving tundra I've not even had the smallest such malady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points