Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nice whippet by the way. Why is the pricing not consistent? My pinnacle was 125 as well but the other person's pinnacle above is 65$?
Yeh! Explain that. I kno sometimes they have extra added discounts when they're having a "sale" but I can't find out when that is... or who or what they apply it to.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice whippet by the way. Why is the pricing not consistent? My pinnacle was 125 as well but the other person's pinnacle above is 65$?

Last Monday when I was there for hat boxes all fedoras were 50% off. Every other time I've been there the pricing was; one hat was tag price, two hats 25% off both, three or more 50% off entire sell. I've always gone to the store and never ordered over the phone. I don't know if that would make a difference. Last February I bought the Pinnacle for 64.50, a Panama Ibarra for 62, and a Grand Central for 45. But I've always gotten the 50% off.

The last couple of times I've gone I've posted to see if anyone wanted me to look for anything in particular. I was willing to take and text pictures. So far I've never had anyone take me up on the offer.

Bill Hughes

Yeh! Explain that. I kno sometimes they have extra added discounts when they're having a "sale" but I can't find out when that is... or who or what they apply it to.
I asked Aubrey about "sales". He said that as long as he had so much inventory he would continue to give the same discounts. I usually go with a couple of others and we leave with 5 to 10 hats between us.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I have posted the new Whippet on a couple of threads today, but since this one is where I learned about these, here goes. Overall, I have a good opinion of this Hatco Outlet find. I agree with Moon about the stitches in the ribbon, they are big and obvious, same as on my modern Strat. Not a refined ribbon treatment. Maybe down the road I'll have Mike Miller's deft fingers fix this, it does bug me. The felt is soft and the brim is easy to snap. The Hawk's Bill is in need of some attention, but not a deal breaker. The factory crease is OK, but I would have preferred an open crown so I could put in a proper diamond. This is a nice hat, and for a buck twenty five, how could I go wrong.
View attachment 84374 View attachment 84375 Many thanks to @BobRoberts for pushing me over the edge.
Btw, I don't see much "parrot beak" goin on. It's not all that flat though.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Last Monday when I was there for hat boxes all fedoras were 50% off. Every other time I've been there the pricing was; one hat was tag price, two hats 25% off both, three or more 50% off entire sell. I've always gone to the store and never ordered over the phone. I don't know if that would make a difference. Last February I bought the Pinnacle for 64.50, a Panama Ibarra for 62, and a Grand Central for 45. But I've always gotten the 50% off.

The last couple of times I've gone I've posted to see if anyone wanted me to look for anything in particular. I was willing to take and text pictures. So far I've never had anyone take me up on the offer.
Yeh. Saw that post and it surprised me that you had no takers. I talk to Candy weekly...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I asked Aubrey about "sales". He said that as long as he had so much inventory he would continue to give the same discounts. I usually go with a couple of others and we leave with 5 to 10 hats between us.
My first 2 purchases I was was told the regular retail price and then the outlet price of half that. Then an additional 15% or 20% discount taken off after that... (cuz of a Stetson "sale"?) but on my last 2 purchases they havnt done any other discounts. Just the straight 50% off retail. I'm wondering why? I only deal with the Garland Tx Outlet.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
About 35 years ago, I was standing in a long line at the much-anticipated, North Face outlet store annual sale in Berkeley, CA. This was before North Face sold out to VF Corporation and this small local company had unique, high quality and differentiated product. This was also before outlet stores became a mainstream distribution channel, as there are retailers today that produce lower-price-point lines just for their fleet of outlet stores. Anyway, while standing in that line, an executive at North Face was overheard to say, "I'd rather be dumping all this product in the (San Francisco) Bay than doing this." Now I understand what he meant because selling a $350 (big money back then) goose down parka for $75 diluted the brand. Maybe HatCo should close its two outlet stores. From the comments on this thread, I wonder if the outlet store has become an acceptable avenue to unload questionable product and in the process is diluting the brand. I don't know who owns HatCo, but it seems to me that person/entity would instead want to implement quality assurance manufacturing processes and then sell for MSRP.
No fckn way. Leave it alone. I love the outlet.

Bill Hughes

Yeh. Saw that post and it surprised me that you had no takers. I talk to Candy weekly...
Until last Monday I had always delt wth Aubrey. So I made a point of meeting Candy. We talked a bit. I told her I was on the lounge and several members regarded her highly. She got me 18 boxes that were still flat. I was amused that she was hesitant to tell me they cost $5 each. I informed her that was very reasonable and downright cheap compared to what most charge online.

Bill Hughes

My first 2 purchases I was was told the regular retail price and then the outlet price of half that. Then an additional 15% or 20% discount taken off after that... (cuz of a Stetson "sale"?) but on my last 2 purchases they havnt done any other discounts. Just the straight 50% off retail. I'm wondering why? I only deal with the Garland Tx Outlet.

I wonder if it has something to do with being there vs over the phone? Or that I've always bought several? But the reason I bought several was to get the extra discount. Curious. When I first heard about the outlet in Garland (from someone on the lounge) I called the store and asked how they operated and hours. I was told by a lady (no idea who it was) that all the hats are on racks. I was told they would not look in the back for something in particular. You could only shop the sales floor. Well every time I've been there (except last Monday) Aubrey always asked what I was looking for and he always checked the back. He always came out with several hats he thought I might be interested in.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
About 35 years ago, I was standing in a long line at the much-anticipated, North Face outlet store annual sale in Berkeley, CA. This was before North Face sold out to VF Corporation and this small local company had unique, high quality and differentiated product. This was also before outlet stores became a mainstream distribution channel, as there are retailers today that produce lower-price-point lines just for their fleet of outlet stores. Anyway, while standing in that line, an executive at North Face was overheard to say, "I'd rather be dumping all this product in the (San Francisco) Bay than doing this." Now I understand what he meant because selling a $350 (big money back then) goose down parka for $75 diluted the brand. Maybe HatCo should close its two outlet stores. From the comments on this thread, I wonder if the outlet store has become an acceptable avenue to unload questionable product and in the process is diluting the brand. I don't know who owns HatCo, but it seems to me that person/entity would instead want to implement quality assurance manufacturing processes and then sell for MSRP.

That outlet is still there, drive by it all the time. Family friends from Japan often make a special trip to Berkeley just for the North Face outlet.

Hatco diluted the brand long before they decided to open an outlet store however.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if it has something to do with being there vs over the phone? Or that I've always bought several? But the reason I bought several was to get the extra discount. Curious. When I first heard about the outlet in Garland (from someone on the lounge) I called the store and asked how they operated and hours. I was told by a lady (no idea who it was) that all the hats are on racks. I was told they would not look in the back for something in particular. You could only shop the sales floor. Well every time I've been there (except last Monday) Aubrey always asked what I was looking for and he always checked the back. He always came out with several hats he thought I might be interested in.
Yes they're always good and look aroun for me.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
That outlet is still there
I know, on Fourth and Gilman I seem to recall, but it's filled with crap now. North Face is nothing more than a brand managed by a conglomerate out of North Carolina. Nowhere on the North Face website will you see reference to VF Corporation, but on the VF page, it's featured. Just brand management. I stopped in the outlet store about six months ago, what a disappointment.

Streak

New in Town
@Bill Hughes that's really kind of you. I speak English (my mother tongue) with an accent that's hard to understand for some. I try and keep away from talking on the phone!!
I want to become a first time western hat owner (see my other posts). Akubra Territory/Riverina being the best value for money have made the shortlist ( i need a large brim like my Tilley LTM2) not too fussy about all else. I now live in SoCal. I am in no hurry and prepared to wait for a great deal. So, if you or anyone else reading this happen to be in the outlet store please give me an idea of what they have. Some of the felt/fur Stetsons even at half retail are still more than a new Akubra. Thanks.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
Leave it alone.
I think posting on the internet a steeply-discounted price paid for a premium product is like poking a full-priced retailer in the eye with a stick. For a major distribution partner, this public thread becomes tangible evidence of channel conflict. Maybe prices paid could be shared via PM.

Last edited:

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I think posting on the internet a steeply-discounted price paid for a premium product is like poking a full-priced retailer in the eye with a stick. For a major distribution partner, this public thread becomes tangible evidence of channel conflict. Maybe prices paid could be shared via PM.
sharing is caring

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
These are retailer rejects and/or seconds. Lots of companies have outlet stores. No big deal, IMO. Can you get a good deal at an outlet store? Of course. Can you get second rate goods? Clearly.

Just so everyone knows what they're buying...

I hesitate to buy modern hats unless I get to try something on first and handle it myself. I lean toward vintage hats or customs.

I'm satisfied with the Stetson Florentine Milan I got recently, but I did have to ship one hat back to trade for another size...

As with my Milan, and Red's very nice tall crown hat, I'd end up paying for a new ribbon to be installed without the plastic "rivets", and also a leather sweat for my Milan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana