Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Imperial Stetson/ 1940

I've posted this hat in its own thread as there seem to be very few examples of an Imperial Stetson of this age. The owner of this hat died in 1943 and though it has been kept in superb condition by the family, it clearly was worn by the owner. Late 30's or early 40"s?... it has some elements from both periods. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

imperial9.jpg

imperial6.jpg

imperial7.jpg

imperial5.jpg

imperial4.jpg

imperial3.jpg

The imprint on the silk liner is beautifully crafted:

imperial1.jpg

The wind cord button is fixed, attached through the bow like my 1930's Stetson Aristocrat. The mode edge has almost no visible reveal:

imperial10.jpg

The color as shown is quite accurate:

imperial13.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful hat, Alan. I don't believe it's late-'30s, as I've found no usage of "Mode Edge" by Stetson prior to 1940.

Brad

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Alan; That is just plain a sharp hat. The dimensions of the brim/crown, drape of the brim, color of felt, luxurious look that tells of the felt texture, and the excellent internal features makes that one SHARP HAT! That sets a new standard in my eye for a classy 30-40 hat. Wow. Obviousely I am very impressed!

I hope sage knowledge comes your direction about the age of manufacturing. Whiler waiting give that hat some wear time as it is very classy.

Appreciating class, Eric -

HatsEnough

Banned
Very, very nice hat, Alan.

I hope I am not being untoward by adding some photos of the Imperial I have…

stetsonimperial01.jpg

stetsonimperial02.jpg

stetsonimperial05.jpg

stetsonimperial06.jpg

stetsonimperial09.jpg

stetsonimperial08.jpg

The crest in the liner and the crest stamped into the sweatband both have stars in them. It has a pretty large brim at 2-7/8 with an overwelt. I am assuming mine is from the 40s. What I like best about it is that it is soft as a baby's bottom but still holds its shape perfectly.

T Rick

Practically Family
Alan, while I can't add any knowledge about the hat, I felt compelled to again say what a splendid example it is! And HatsEnough, looking at your great looking example, I see a few major differences that I'd suppose owe to dating being different for the two. The most obvious is the sweat band treatment. While I've no idea which is older, I'd guess we're seeing two somewhat different vintages of the same make/model.

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts on this hat.

While there are a number of examples posted on the lounge of later Imperials - HatsEnough, yours is great! - the only example of this liner that I have found is from these auction photos posted by Buler.

Gorgeous! When you say the wind cord button is fixed, does that mean it was sold that way, purely as decoration?

No, just a variation on the theme. The button is affixed to the hat, the cord has a loop on one end which can be unhooked and attached, I assume, to a button on the coat.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
A majestic pair of Imperials, gentlemen! The superb fit and finish is quite evident, and what beautiful lines. Alan, I would have estimated very early '40s at the latest for your hat's vintage based upon the sweatband details.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Alan, first off I just have to say that this hat is seriously one of the highest quality looking hats I have ever seen. Everything seems like it was meticulously done. I wouldn't doubt it if Stetson put their master haters to work on this lid. My favorite thing about the hat has to be the sweatband. Not only is the leather extremely nice quality, but its beautifully wide, great ribbon work in the back, and the printing is extremely detailed. I wish hatters put these incredible sweatbands in hats today. The entire hat just looks incredible and you wear it extremely well. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

red71veloce

Familiar Face
Alan......what can I say about that exquisite example that hasn't been said??......how about I'm a size 7!

Seriously, you have beat me on bidding a few times, and every hat you present is just a gem! If you're ever inclined to "thin the herd"....keep me in mind.

Gorgeous hat Alan.......

T

Thanks very much guys!

Josh, I totally hear you. The devil is in the details... when you find an early hat in great condition it's a thrill to savor the attention to little things that were lost in the second half of the 20th C. The closely spaced stitching and clear, detailed printing are exceptional in this hat. The 3X felt is a standout too. Hard to find a good NY pizza for 15 dollars today.

red71veloce, I am sitting out most of the auctions for the summer... bid with gusto!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana