Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Knox Tom 'N' Jerry

Here she is. My new favourite hat. Who can tell me anything about this? Dating etc? Were the long hair hats supposed to be country-type sporting hats, or winter hats, or what? It has concenrtic stitching starting from the centre of the crown and snailing it's way out to the edge of the brim. I just left it in the bash in which i found it. It's surprisingly light weight for the thickness of the felt.

TomNJerry2.jpg
TomNJerry7.jpg

TomNJerry3.jpg

TomNJerry4.jpg

The size label droppped off as soon as i touched it.
TomNJerry5.jpg
TomNJerry6.jpg

Once more, apologies for terrible shirt.
TomNJerry1.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hat.

I used to have a punch bowl and matching
cups labeled Tom and Jerry in that same gothic
lettering. It was a popular punch at one time.
Don't know if it (or the hat) was named after
the cartoon characters. More than one company
during quite a few years of the early 20th Century
made Tom and Jerry punch bowls and cups in both
ceramic and later in glass.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The hat is vintage 1940's . I've always wanted one. They are very hard to find . Yours looks to be in great shape.

Steven
Bencrafthats.com

It is in excellent shape. No liner, though. the other one i've seen has a liner with two 18th century gents drinking. I'll try to find a pic.

The crown isn't that high (certainly not so high as some 30s hats in my collection). Just looks big on my small head.

I will measure it up.

thanks for dating info; that's what I thought.

bk

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, here's a clue

Pierce Egan's Life in London, or Days and Nights of Jerry Hawthorne and his elegant friend Corinthian Tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_Egan

I guess this was a cultural touchstone into the
first half of the 20th Century, and must have
inspired the cartoon. As is noted in the Wikipedia
page, the book is the source of "the expression Tom and Jerry,
meaning fighting, drinking, and causing trouble".

So that's a street fightin' hat you got there.

Feraud

Bartender
That is a very nice hat. I have a Stetson (hmmm, I wonder if it is still in the closet?) that has a similar stitching throughout.
The Stetson is no where as nice as your hat. In fact, I think my hat is wool!
Enjoy that sharp looking hat. :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This was quite an old thread that needs to be resurrected. I hope loungers will add their Tom & Jerry's to this thread. I don't have a Tom & Jerry Hat, but I did buy something quite interesting a couple months ago.

I love collecting and reading vintage Life magazines. Upon reading an issue dated December 23rd 1940, I noticed something interesting in an old Hiram Walker Bourbon ad. In the top right corner near a punch bowl sat 5 glasses marked Tom & Jerry in the same exact font used on KNOX hats.

tomjerry2.jpg

tomjerry3.jpg

tomjerry1.jpg

I thought it was interesting but also realized that a Tom & Jerry was, and still is, a mixed drink. About a week later while searching for Knox hats on ebay, I came across a set of 4 cups also marked Tom & Jerry in the same exact font and print as the ones in the ad. The cups themselves are slightly different but fairly similar to the ones in the ad. However, the cups on ebay were also marked KNOX on the back. I had to have them. I wonder if Hiram Walker used a set of similar cups from Knox in this ad. That Tom & Jerry logo must have been registered with the US patent office, so I would imagine that rights were paid to someone. I just thought they were interesting.

tomjerry5.jpg

tomjerry6.jpg

tomjerry4.jpg

tomjerry7.jpg

tomjerry8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points