Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ladies/teen mall jacket this season is . . .

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last season every ladies and/or teen oriented store in the mall had a version of a vinyl/pleather/leather Perfecto jacket. This season, the favored jacket for ladies and teens is a nylon MA-1. Of course, they are available in many non-standard colors, including various shades of pink. I walked the mall with my wife, daughter and dog this afternoon (I hung with the dog). We saw dozens of MA-1s in many different stores. The typical quality is shockingly bad. My daughter picked out a pink MA-1 that probably will not survive five outtings. Disposable clothing brands have taken over the malls.

Interesting how mainstream/cheap/disposable brands resurrect vintage styles. Also interesting how ladies brands borrow from men's vintage styles. My guess is that MA-1s will be a single season fad.

ProteinNerd

Thats interesting, usually Australia is a season behind the US and UK when it comes to fashion. However just coming out of winter here, MA-1 ripoffs were EVERYWHERE and still are for early spring.

Last season every ladies and/or teen oriented store in the mall had a version of a vinyl/pleather/leather Perfecto jacket. This season, the favored jacket for ladies and teens is a nylon MA-1. Of course, they are available in many non-standard colors, including various shades of pink. I walked the mall with my wife, daughter and dog this afternoon (I hung with the dog). We saw dozens of MA-1s in many different stores. The typical quality is shockingly bad. My daughter picked out a pink MA-1 that probably will not survive five outtings. Disposable clothing brands have taken over the malls.

Interesting how mainstream/cheap/disposable brands resurrect vintage styles. Also interesting how ladies brands borrow from men's vintage styles. My guess is that MA-1s will be a single season fad.

Aye, I've noticed the same thing but it has been all over the news portals' fashion sections for a while not, how this star and that star wore an army inspired green jacket - or the MA-1. I have one, by Alpha which is really a serious piece of jacket so it was quite shocking to find out just how terribly bad the mall versions are.

Most insulting are the t-shirts with the 80's metal band logos and stuff, tho...

Timely topic. Just came home from dinner and noticed two women in these jackets. I noticed the style and thought wow, interesting, especially for women as the cut itself does not lend itself to the physique but these were both slimmed down and wildly cropped. The colors: silver & hot pink? Haven't been paying much attention to trends but I was really surprised to see two ladies in flight (inspired) jackets!

I'm sure I'll be buying my daughter one at some point in the coming months...

bn1966

Youth have been wearing L-2B / MA-1 type jackets over here for the past 18 months. Nearly put me off wearing my nylon out......don't want to be thought of as mutton dressed as lamb :)

bn1966

Beware buying cheap used MA-1s from eBay, they may have originated in TOP SHOP :)

For men it seems to be the M-65!
Old Navy
Hollister
Topman
H&M
All carry their version for about $110.

I see girls in M-65's too - or at least some slimmed down, super light, shortened version of it at least. It's supposed to be grungy but it's just fake. But it's MA-1 for the most part. Many girls still wear leather jackets because last year they actually had to invest into those only for them to fall out of fashion not even a whole year later.

Denim jacket is back too, as well.

And sweatpants...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
they care only for that sleeve pocket, they put that pocket everywhere from t-shirt to pants since earlier this year

devilish

A-List Customer
The disposable fashion cycle has caught on to the vintage/heritage/military trend and is working it's way through all the 'iconic' pieces. From the white wedge sole on boots, all the way up to some of the really top designers making sheepskin jackets with loose nods to flight gear.
At the moment it is indeed the MA-1/Perfecto/Trucker triumvirate that is ruling the day. This will soon pass and we can have our jackets back.

thor

One Too Many
Ralph Lauren has a "Denim & Supply" line of clothing that has lots of neo-vintage style clothes and military styles. Their MA-1 with vintage flag is actually pretty nice (I tried it on at Macy's).
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21