Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Long Oval Unfortunate's Club

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sorry lads, couldn't resist.;) Your monarch awaits.
queen+of+hearts.jpg

But I do understand trying to find that hat that will fit at a reasonable price too.

Cheers!

Dan

Memo

Familiar Face
I am a 7 3/4 sometimes I can get lucky and a 7 5/8 Long Oval fits, I've had some modern stetsons 7 5/8 fit. Welcome and have fun bidding against us on ebay.

fmw

One Too Many
Look on the positive side. You're a great candidate for custom hats and custom has are the bees knees.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hats that fit seem to depend on what make of hat they are, I normally shoot for a size 7 1/2 but as odd is it is, I have one hat size 7 1/4 that fits! It is real vintage but was brand new never out of the box when I purchased it in 1996, my Dunlap silk finish Fedora tagged 7 1/4, it is snug somewhat but I wear it. I recently purchased a 7 3/8 that fits snug but still works. It must be hard for anyone that goes beyond the 7 1/2 size to find what they are looking for. Just not too many items on eBay that are even 7 1/2 showing up!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Sorry lads, couldn't resist.;) Your monarch awaits.
queen+of+hearts.jpg

But I do understand trying to find that hat that will fit at a reasonable price too.

Cheers!

Dan
Geez, not to go way off topic, but I think I used to date the red head in this picture here before I met my wife! LOL!

Last edited:

Wojo

Familiar Face
Optimo put me in my first hat. 8 1/32 in a LO. Tiffany said that they have many customers at or near a size 8. She also said that they were unable to fit a customer whose size was nearing a nine.
God bless his mother!
As long as you have a patient wife and the kids don't mind you burning through the inheritance, custom is the only way to go if you want variety. IMHO

Last edited:

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I'm a 7 1/2 LO, so I guess I'm in. Size 60 in Akubras. I can only imagine what those Extra Long Ovals have to deal with.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
7 7/8 LO. Aside from custom, flat caps are all I wear up top. If it wasn't for the gentlemanly services of Mr.Art Fawcett, my dome would be fedora-less. Despite my residency in California tin foil is not an option...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
7 3/8 LO in US sizes. I've been quite lucky in that one vintage hat I have just fits and the other is a long oval. Maybe I'm only a very slightly long oval as I've never had too much trouble in getting modern hats to conform to my head shape after a bit of wearing with the sweatband padded at the sides.

DNO

One Too Many
7 3/8 extra long oval. I have two vintage Stetson fedoras (a weary whippet and another, unidentified) that are 7 3/8 XLO and they fit me perfectly. The rest need some slight stretching and padding whether they are 7 3/8 or 7 1/2. I really feel for you fellows with larger sizes.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm one of those unfortunates who's also long oval...and those LO sizes are getting hard to find, especially trying to find one that I don't have to pay out the whazoo for. I have a Resistol Stagecoach that I wanted to convert and have reblocked to my 7 1/8 LO head size. Lucky for me, a fellow Lounger, John Galt, has that very block. I sent my Resistol off to him and now the hat fits perfect. In fact, he's just finishing up reblocking another one for me in a 7 1/8 LO.

Last edited:
7 1/4 extra long oval. I can fit into 7 3/8 and 7 1/4 long oval, but it's not the same. I have one Kevin McAndrew 7 1/4 ELO that is perfect. All the others are OK. It's also a hard job to find eyeglasses, especially sunglasses, that fit properly. I guess my head is too much of a long oval.

alien.jpg

:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana