Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lost World Jurassic Park

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
Here at the lounge I have seen posts about the first Jurassic park and the
third one. But I havent seen any about the second one. In the Lost World:
Jurassic Park 2 the character of Roland Tembo, a big game hunter, played by Pete Postlethwaite, wore the best safari hat I have ever seen. In fact along with Indiana Jones its what got me to start liking "hats" in the first place.
I've always wanted one just like it and have been searching for a long time.
Can anyone tell me anything about it?
Ive always thought it could be some sort of an akubra but i just dont know.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
oh yah! Muldoon wore a similar one in JP 1...i think...
here it is:
10.jpg

what was the purpose for pinning one side up? peripheral vision? or hollywood?

NonEntity

Suspended
Wow, The Rat Patrol, now there's a TV show name I haven't heard in 35 years. My best buddy and I used to watch that show when we were kids. We loved it!

Actually, the brim-turned-up-on-one-side style most closely associated with the military Aussie Slouch Hat, which is and always has been made by Akubra, predates it by centuries--long before firearms. It's such an old style that even the experts aren't sure about its reason for being. It could be pure style with no function, but many think the brim was turned up to get it out of the way of long swords and lances.

I have an old Aussie Slouch--I was taught to call it a "campaign hat"--tha I got when I was just a kid that is still in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I outgrew it, but I'm thinking of getting another, given that I'm still a Rat Patrol guy at heart.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I loved the Rat Patrol

and I loved my GI Joes as a kid in the 60s (before they shrunk) but my favorite doll, ... ehrrr, I mean "action figure" was Joe's Aussie soldier friend in his slouch hat. To me, this is the signature hat of Australia.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Bzzzzt!! Try again contestants.
Muldoon's hat in Jurassic Park was one of those cotton "Aussie bush hats" with the snap-up brim.
cap043.jpg

cap044.jpg

As for Tembo, that could be any number of Akubras. Note how the bash changes in the sequence of photos. In the first, Tembo's hat looks very much like an Akubra Riverina with a custom hat band and chin strap. This hat was a big influence on my "safari-ized" Akubra (see this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=18199 and this one http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26255). In the second photo, the crown has a much more pronounced pinch. In the screen captures I made, I could not find any that clearly showed any ventilation eyelets that would help pinpoint the exact Akubra. However, if you want a hat like this, go with the Akubra Riverina and add a chin strap.
cap046.jpg

cap047.jpg

By the way, for anyone interested - check out the jacket. Quilted right shoulder pad, left upper arm pocket, drawstring waist, distinctive pockets. It's a Cabela's brand safari jacket!

NonEntity

Suspended
KObalto,

Well, we have at least two likes in common: G.I. Joes and Slouch Hats.

I, too, was major into G.I. Joe and have tons of that stuff--the Jeep, scuba, ski patrol, etc.--though I have not got it out of the attic in many, many years.

You say Joe had an Aussie soldier friend with a slouch hat. I would definitely remember that, but I can't say I'm sure I know what you're referring to.

Was he part of that early series of Soldiers of the World or something like that with German, Japanese, Filipino, and several other WW II-era soldiers, all with unique faces and bodies? Each came with a uniform, a few accessories like grenades, and, of course the all-important rifle, that that country's soldiers wore and used. I saved all the catalogues and probably still have that one up in the attic with all the Joe stuff.

I had the very light-complexioned Russian with the stern expression. Came with a great trooper-style hat.

Much later, into the 1970s, I got a bearded Joe because he came in a Big Game Hunter set that included a molded rubber Aussie Slouch Hat, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Bravo, Mike! And how do you get those awesome screen grabs?!

On a side note, any good shots (and id) on Muldoon's vest? I'm still looking for a decent field vest, primarily one with decent features that doesn't have a zipper!

Also, for those Rat Patrol Fans (and I count myself among you; I've got season one on DVD, and have been itching for Season 2!), Lawrance Ordnance carries a khaki Akubra that is much closer in color to Troy's hat.

nswmr-hat.gif
versus the much greener WWI and later models
ww1-alh-hat.gif

KObalto

One of the Regulars
NonEntity said:
KObalto,

You say Joe had an Aussie soldier friend with a slouch hat. I would definitely remember that, but I can't say I'm sure I know what you're referring to.

Was he part of that early series of Soldiers of the World or something like that with German, Japanese, Filipino, and several other WW II-era soldiers, all with unique faces and bodies? Each came with a uniform, a few accessories like grenades, and, of course the all-important rifle, that that country's soldiers wore and used. I saved all the catalogues and probably still have that one up in the attic with all the Joe stuff.
Its been 40-odd years so I can't recall if it was part of aseries or what.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recall those too. Aurora may have made them. They produced knghts in armor plastic kits as well much earlier. Stood about 1 foot tall.

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
so far your comments have been pretty helpful
and as for the jacket I have always thought that Tembo's bush jacket was the Hemingway Bush from Willis & Geiger

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Is that show what sent you into the Army?lol lol lol

What have I done by mentioning one of my favorite shows from the 60's...The rat patrol probably helped in sending me off to the military, but Good Morning Vietnam got me to the recruiter....:eek: :D :eusa_doh: [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
What have I done by mentioning one of my favorite shows from the 60's...The rat patrol probably helped in sending me off to the military, but Good Morning Vietnam got me to the recruiter....:eek: :D :eusa_doh: [huh]
lol lol lol lol lol lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
DnSchlng said:
as for the jacket I have always thought that Tembo's bush jacket was the Hemingway Bush from Willis & Geiger
You're probably right. Looking more closely, Tembo's jacket has cartridge loops above the left breast pocket just like the Hemingway Bush Jacket. The Cabela's version doesn't appear to have these. For me, however, the huge price difference would definitely lead me to the Cabela's version if I ever decided to give up my terrific Ralph Lauren safari jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points