Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Lutterloh System

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
To the ladies that sew and use the lutterloh system:

Do any of you know where I can get Vintage Lutterloh patterns? Some of the old ones are just to die for, but are soooo hard to find! Might any of you have copies of some? I'm desparate to try them out. I just bought the modern system, but I really don't like any of the patterns in it.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I have the new version, but I love the old patterns that I have seen pictures of.

The lutterloh system is a pattern making system from Germany that started in 1936. It's based on ratios of the body to the body so that you only need to know Bust and Waist measurements to make the pattern peices. It comes with a scale tape, pins and pen to draw it out. Very easy and nearly perfect fit everytime.

If you click "Video" on this site, you can see a demonstration. It's quite amazing.
http://www.lutterlohsystem.com/

I'm on the quest for the vintage patterns though because I just love them to bits.

Alpine Glamour

New in Town
Easy as 1,2,3!!

Hey there. It's been ages since I have posted anything here...

Well I am a beginner at sewing, but have made several dresses, all from the Lutterloh system. I bought some books off e-bay from the 40's, called "der goldene Schnitt". You have to draw you own pattern, but it's quite simple. But what the best thing about this system is: you can make the patterns exactly according to your measurements. No shopping around for your size in a pattern.

There is a special ruler that you attacht to your measuring tape. You then mark your size on it (bust / hip measurement in cm, or inches if they have a system in inches), and start drawing the pattern by marking dots ont he given points, and at the end you connect them. It is, however, a must to read the instructions. But all mine came out fine, and I am by no means advanced.

www.return2style.de also has instructions to download.

Good Luck!!!!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
"Der Goldene Schnitt" rocks... Just take care you get it with this meassure-thingie - cause i didn´t and badly try to print it out ;)

also note the meassure is in centrimeter, not in inches.

shindeco

A-List Customer
You can download some here

http://www.return2style.de/home_eus.htm

Go to "extras" on the left sidebar, then "the golden pattern"

click on the book cover on the left for Der Goldene Schnitt

click on the images and you'll get to the patterns

I left click and "save image as"; use photoshop to cut out along the sized line they've provided then load it into word perfect where you can type in the size. I've done a modified version of one of the men's trouser patterns this way.

You can download the little "size machine" (I don't know what the real name for it is) and the German instructions, too. The file has a ".exe" ending but is really a zip file. It's the picture above the actual patterns.

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
Old thread, but:

I have a few vintage Lutterloh pattern books that I could scan some of for you. Let me know what era you are interested in.

Anyone interested in making me some Lutterloh outfits? I am willing to pay top dollar and postage ...

Snookie

Practically Family
Oh crap, that would be fantastic. I've been dying to get my hands on some of those. I've never managed to make the ones on Der Goldene Schnitt work on my computer. (I'm shocked that no one has started selling scans of their books on Ebay yet! Maybe it's still under copywrite?)

I can't say whether I can do some outfits for you until I've tried using the system, but that sounds like a possibility. I like the years up to 1945. What years do you have?

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
I have a book of what looks like 1940s (in German) and an update from 1953. I have some more packed away somewhere else. I won't have access to a scanner for a few weeks, but when I do I will scan some pictures in and you can let me know if it is the type of thing you are looking for.

Snookie

Practically Family
Wonderful, thank you! No rush -- I've always got enough projects going. I've just been really interested in Lutterloh for the past several months, and would love to try it. Thanks!

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks for the warning. Do we actually know if there is a copywrite issue with Lutterloh? I mentioned it b/c it's the only reason I can think of for not offering copies for sale.

LD, nice to see you back around. Hope your move went smoothly.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Lutterloh is very strict with copyright (but refuses to reprint the vintage patterns). I once wrote that a patten is similar to Lutterloh in the headline on ebay and they complained so I had to remove it again.

shmu

New in Town
vintage lutterloh

Ladies, where can I purchase or find copies of these patterns? I have followed some of your threads and I love the designs.

Snookie

Practically Family
shmu said:
Where can I obtain a book of what looks like 1940s to 1956. I love this period of dress

Ebay. The books from the 30s-50s usually go for $150-$250, and they're in German. Not sure when then started publishing in English.

There's free downloadable patterns on Return to Style, see earlier posts for the links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points