Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I believe it is pre-Stetson but would appreciate any input/opinions on this.
O.K. that is just killer looking...now what size is that one? Oh wait, I see it is a smaller size...drats! Was hopeful it would be a large 7 1/2 so I could do some finagling to see if I could purchase that one....haha! My Husband LOVES those thin ribbons like that one!

Last edited:
Thanks Alan. Do you know if the Mallorys with the tag line "For Youthful Smartness" on the liner are pre-Stetson or post-Stetson acquisition?

The commonly held notion around these parts is that <Established 1823> denotes a pre-purchase Mallory, while <Established 1817> appeared during the Stetson ownership. Certainly there was some crossover as supplies were used, depleted and restocked. Youthful Smartness can be seen in both versions. I don't think there are a whole lot of years between these two hats.

malloryten2.jpg

mallory2.jpg

rclark

Call Me a Cab
O.K. that is just killer looking...now what size is that one? Oh wait, I see it is a smaller size...drats! Was hopeful it would be a large 7 1/2 so I could do some finagling to see if I could purchase that one....haha! My Husband LOVES those thin ribbons like that one!
Thanks! I will let you know for sure if I come across one in 7 1/2. It is a great hat, albeit a bit tight on my melon but I make it work! Believe it or not it was a Goodwill purchase. The box along was worth more than I paid for the hat and box.

The commonly held notion around these parts is that <Established 1823> denotes a pre-purchase Mallory, while <Established 1817> appeared during the Stetson ownership. Certainly there was some crossover as supplies were used, depleted and restocked. Youthful Smartness can be seen in both versions. I don't think there are a whole lot of years between these two hats./QUOTE]

Alan, since Rick's hat does have the 1823 designation, what are the other signs that point to this being a post-Stetson Mallory? THX

Love the embroidered liner tip on that second one you posted, BTW.

Buler,

Perusing the Mallory MADness thread, it appears that The Dallas was marketed at least as early as 1944. Is there any evidence of an earlier incarnation than that? May I assume that at least some Dallas hats (Dallases?) were made pre-Stetson?

Has anyone seen any examples?

THX

buler

I'll Lock Up
Excellent. What's your estimate on age?

Sorry, missed this. We don't really know much about dating these. We do know that the Burton Taylor line was started in November 1928 and I believe it was shut down when Stetson acquired Mallory. So you have a range of 1928 - 1947. My guess on this hat is early 40s.

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Buler,

Perusing the Mallory MADness thread, it appears that The Dallas was marketed at least as early as 1944. Is there any evidence of an earlier incarnation than that? May I assume that at least some Dallas hats (Dallases?) were made pre-Stetson?

Has anyone seen any examples?

THX

Fruno, I would use the Mallory MADness thread just like you did to find the earliest reference. There are definitely examples of pre-Stetson Dallas hats. The first one I posted in this thread is one of those.

B

With that liner, perhaps 60s? Do you have a link to the auction photos? There are many things to consider with MAllory hats:

Liner logo and date on liner (1823 vs. 1817)
Paper vs. fabric size tag
Black vs. brown sweatband
What does the re-order tag look like?
What is the design of the hat (crown height, brim width, taper, etc.)?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot