Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

Sonero

Practically Family
...and since yer all goin on abt masculinity, I carry a bag, a purse, a sachel, a murse, a briefcase, or whatever you want to call it simply cuz I need "a place for my stuff."
and exactly what stuff, is nobody's biz but I carry alot. I like to carry a "bag" and I need to. I like the way it looks when I do. So I do. I care abt nothing else.

I’ve carried a small rectangular shaped hand held leather one for over thirty years. The kind that was very popular in some European countries a couple of generations a go. Extra pair of glasses,pen,pencil,notepad,medicine,business cards,bandaids,chapstick,several membership cards such as AAA,library,art museum,etc.. i carry a small wallet and dislike stuffing my pockets so it works for me .

I want a Louis Vitton just as you described. Believe it or not I acquired one during the 90's but GAVE IT AWAY. I think they are total swag with the right outfit and sunglasses BUT unfortunately I think I would get pelted with eggs in most of America for using it minus NYC and LA perhaps.

Those bags are so 70's. I love the style from that era.

Thanks for sharing.

louis-vuitton-orsay-monogram-canvas-men-s-bags--M51790_PM2_Front view.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I want a Louis Vitton just as you described. Believe it or not I acquired one during the 90's but GAVE IT AWAY. I think they are total swag with the right outfit and sunglasses BUT unfortunately I think I would get pelted with eggs in most of America for using it minus NYC and LA perhaps.

Those bags are so 70's. I love the style from that era.

Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 64200
Small. Even my Cazals wouldn't fit. ;)

wdw

One Too Many
Here's the bags I use most. Two each of three similar styles, but each has its purpose.

First, work bags. Top, oil pull leather, hand made locally by Mckenzie Leather. I prefer the look, but now use the Filson briefcase more because of the zip to the main compartment. I was tempted by the similar Vermilyea Pelle, but the lack of flap stopped me.
Bags1_zps2iodensd.jpg

General purpose messenger bags. Top is Fjallraven, bottom is cheap generic from Amazon. Both have zipped compartments, with the Fjallraven being larger and now the one I use most. I use that in the city in preference to a rucksack.
Bags3_zpsrfteagij.jpg

Load carriers. Top is RRL, bottom is Filson. The RRL is heavier and more rugged, but the lack of zip closure is a drawback. The RRL does have a small zipped inner pocket, though, whereas the Filson has nothing. I use these mostly as second carry-ons for under the seat.
Bags2_zps8blzeo2f.jpg

...and since yer all goin on abt masculinity, I carry a bag, a purse, a sachel, a murse, a briefcase, or whatever you want to call it simply cuz I need "a place for my stuff."
and exactly what stuff, is nobody's biz but I carry alot. I like to carry a "bag" and I need to. I like the way it looks when I do. So I do. I care abt nothing else.

I have a wife. My wife carries a bag. Therefore, my needs are met. [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Jack Georges University Collection model # 2456. Still in production. Retail list $368.00
This bag is at least 25 years old. Darker then pictured. Ebay find for $19.99
$_1-23.jpg
$_1-14.jpg

Sonero

Practically Family
View attachment 64327 On the way from Ca. Jack Georges University Collection #2499. This one is at least 25 yrs old. Still in production at $568 retail list. Ebay find for $48.

Sweet Deal.

One of these days I will post my refurbished Coach " That fell off the truck." It looks somewhat similar.

I know a guy in Tijuana who sells name brand goods for less than the competitors :)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I carry a Rawlings genuine baseball glove steer hide bag. Like any good mitt, a little stiff at first, but breaks in nicely. I don't pay any attention to the hecklers having an identity crisis, and if anyone tries to snatch it, I'll just whack 'em with my 34" Louisville Slugger:

IMG_6489.jpg
I like the handle.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sweet Deal.

One of these days I will post my refurbished Coach " That fell off the truck." It looks somewhat similar.

I know a guy in Tijuana who sells name brand goods for less than the competitors :)
I was given the Coach messenger bag for Christmas about twenty years ago: I believe it was the first of its kind. I've used it almost daily since then and had the strap resewn once. Great bag. I particularly like the outside pouch in which you can put newspapers, umbrellas, etc.

Sonero

Practically Family
Here is my Coach for $60 No Tax. I wish I could somehow let all of you feel the quality of the leather. It is beyond super high end. It must be a vintage because I don't see this quality in the stores anymore.

Unfortunately it is a little small to use on an airplane. For that I have my TUMI which also fell off the same truck $60; Purchased at the same store in Tijuana.

Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.33 PM.jpg
Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.33 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.34 PM.jpg
Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.38 PM.jpg
Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.38 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 1-9-17 at 1.38 PM #3.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
I can't drive anymore due to my vision, so I walk almost everywhere I go. No car means no passenger seat to pile all of my daily necessities on, so I went with a backpack for a while. Made me sweat like a river down my back, so I went and bought an Osprey Flapjack messenger bag for about a hundred bucks. To be technical about it, I actually got the Flapjill model, a little smaller and with a leaf design on it. Very water resistant, well made, and with their "All Mighty Guarantee", free repair or replacement of damage or defect for the life of the bag. And the leaves don't look too girly.

af5abeafd23226b379ac76095286e745.jpg

It started out black, but almost daily exposure to the sun over a couple of years has faded the front to brown. A great reminder to put on my SPF 50 before I go out.:) Other than that, I have not managed to damage it in any way, no matter what or how much I cram into it. I have a few other bags, including a really nice American made Coach Lexington soft briefcase, but this is the one I always seem to grab.
I'd recommend one of these for anyone that needs a tough, dependable lightweight bag.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Just arrived today. Jack Georges is def underated. Soft supple and dense leather. Quality construction. Solid brass hardware.
Will put some pure neatsfoot oil on it tonight and darken it slightly.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is my Coach for $60 No Tax. I wish I could somehow let all of you feel the quality of the leather. It is beyond super high end. It must be a vintage because I don't see this quality in the stores anymore.

Unfortunately it is a little small to use on an airplane. For that I have my TUMI which also fell off the same truck $60; Purchased at the same store in Tijuana.

View attachment 64747 View attachment 64748 View attachment 64749 View attachment 64750 View attachment 64751 View attachment 64752
Looks like the same leather as my messenger bag, and you're right - top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points