Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man Purse Aka. THE MURSE YES or NO ?

Edward

Bartender
Here's the bags I use most. Two each of three similar styles, but each has its purpose.

First, work bags. Top, oil pull leather, hand made locally by Mckenzie Leather. I prefer the look, but now use the Filson briefcase more because of the zip to the main compartment. I was tempted by the similar Vermilyea Pelle, but the lack of flap stopped me.
Bags1_zps2iodensd.jpg

General purpose messenger bags. Top is Fjallraven, bottom is cheap generic from Amazon. Both have zipped compartments, with the Fjallraven being larger and now the one I use most. I use that in the city in preference to a rucksack.
Bags3_zpsrfteagij.jpg

Load carriers. Top is RRL, bottom is Filson. The RRL is heavier and more rugged, but the lack of zip closure is a drawback. The RRL does have a small zipped inner pocket, though, whereas the Filson has nothing. I use these mostly as second carry-ons for under the seat.
Bags2_zps8blzeo2f.jpg

I have a wife. My wife carries a bag. Therefore, my needs are met.
emoji4.png

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Nice bags. Zips can be a bonus for security, though on the flipside, a broken buckle is inifintely easier to replace. I had to retire a couple of much-loved laptop bags some decades ago becasue the zips couldn't be replaced when they gave out.

Latest bag I bought was just a cheap, nylon monstrosity. Built well tought, and shpaed a lot like the Buzz Rickson USAF jet helmet bags. TBH, it's not my favourite by a long shot, however, when I'm gonig 'carry-on only', as I often do when taking the flights back the visit family, it is much more efficient than any other bag I have, making the most of the legal and airline size-limits. This was particularly important this Christmas, as the greedy airline with which we flew was demanding £60 each way for a 20kg case in the hold. We posted all our presents to my parents' address in advance (£40), bought two of those nylon bags (another £40), and came out £160 ahead of if we'd played ball with the greedy airline. #winning ;)

To make up for the ugly-but-practical, I'm thinking of buying myself another Brady this year. I'll have to buy one for herself first, though, to get my own existing one back....

DJH

I'll Lock Up
My main bag is a Hartmann briefcase that I bought in the early 90's. I had to find a new strap and some of the leather binding at the seams is a little worn, but other than that it has been great and well worth the high price. Here it is in my WHAYWT pic from this morning:

07dedf2f861d3c2be9981c27e69b8f23.jpg

After making sure I took care of the wife first, I'll have one of these arriving in the next week or so - from Dustin @ Vermilyea Pelle:

i-npFgQBG-L.jpg

Hopefully I'll get 25 (or more) good years from this one too! More details when I have it in my grubby hands.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
My main bag is a Hartmann briefcase that I bought in the early 90's. I had to find a new strap and some of the leather binding at the seams is a little worn, but other than that it has been great and well worth the high price. Here it is in my WHAYWT pic from this morning:

07dedf2f861d3c2be9981c27e69b8f23.jpg

After making sure I took care of the wife first, I'll have one of these arriving in the next week or so - from Dustin @ Vermilyea Pelle:

i-npFgQBG-L.jpg

Hopefully I'll get 25 (or more) good years from this one too! More details when I have it in my grubby hands.
I noticed the Hartman the other day. Lol. :)
I wanna soak those corners in neatsfoot! Love the distressed style edges on the Dustin. :)

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
Filson briefcase has served me well for years and doesn't even feel broken in yet.
a09e73f4165d973b384390839ee6dbb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I noticed the Hartman the other day. Lol. :)
I wanna soak those corners in neatsfoot! Love the distressed style edges on the Dustin. :)

The Hartmann has taken a lot of abuse over 25 years and has never received any leather treatment. [emoji1]

Oh, last year I bought a Vermilyea Pelle duffle to use as a carry-on bag. I cancelled an order for a Filson bag after reading reviews that the quality is not as good as in the past.

Here's the waxed canvas V-P at the airport.

aaf3f2343a7324cdf7834e6a237541db.jpg

Cheers!
David

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
They sell vests with tons of pockets, that conceal everything, and also jackets. I'm not sure of a site, but there are plenty of options. If you are armed, you wouldn't want to reach into your man bag to protect yourself. Someone could also take it from you. I would sooner wear tactical pants, than have to carry a man bag. I'm in law enforcement, and don't wear a uniform. I carry tons of things that I need for protection. I also don't broadcast it to everyone. I use a backpack in my vehicle, and have a system of what goes where on my person and in my backpack. Lip balm and gum etc are useful, but how often do you really need them. If you want to carry a purse, so be it. But some of these posts border on ridiculous. Women aren't even this obsessed with their purses.

iwantthatimp

New in Town
If it was a choice between adding some sort of bag to what I choose to wear or change what I wear to cargo trousers and a utility vest, I think I would get some sort of bag. Maybe if some molle webbing was added, a weapon compartment and rebranded as a tactical shoulder utility pack, it would be accepted by a new slice of the male demographic?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

DJH

I'll Lock Up
They sell vests with tons of pockets, that conceal everything, and also jackets. I'm not sure of a site, but there are plenty of options. If you are armed, you wouldn't want to reach into your man bag to protect yourself. Someone could also take it from you. I would sooner wear tactical pants, than have to carry a man bag. I'm in law enforcement, and don't wear a uniform. I carry tons of things that I need for protection. I also don't broadcast it to everyone. I use a backpack in my vehicle, and have a system of what goes where on my person and in my backpack. Lip balm and gum etc are useful, but how often do you really need them. If you want to carry a purse, so be it. But some of these posts border on ridiculous. Women aren't even this obsessed with their purses.

Yeah, but it's hard to carry a laptop, an iPad and other stuff to a business meeting in a jacket, regardless of how many pockets it has.

Cheers!
David

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
Agreed. I really wish I remembered the site. They show a jacket that actually has pockets for those that they "claim" can hold a laptop. I'm really not considering something needed for a business meeting, a man purse. What I would call a man purse, would be a guy carrying a bag regularly that has items that your wife would carry. Basically, everything but the kitchen sink. I'm also not trying to offend anyone. Socially acceptable is much different than it was years ago. I always laugh at the end of the day, about how much crap I take out of my pockets. But I always have the same functional junk with me. Whenever I have to go through metal detectors, it takes some time to put things back in place. I also have to think ahead about what stays in the car. Good topic.

wdw

One Too Many
Ha, on that subject, I have one of these, which can take two iPads easily, and a lot more besides.

I've used it occasionally for carry-on and also for easy hiking without a rucksack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot