Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Please forgive if this is a stupid question, but do they hold absinthe tastings like they so wine tastings?

Cheers, Absinthe_1900 for the recommendation!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Depends on where you live...

Some good American made absinthes like Pacifique, and Delaware Phoenix, are easier found online than in some parts of the USA.

The two big absinthe forums a couple of posts up are good resources, as well as the posts in this thread for the better brands.
I'd avoid Absente, Le Tourment Verte, and modern Pernod, since they are pretty lame.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
I bought a bottle of Absinthe to share at New years...only one person liked it, and it wasn't me. It was like drinking black liquorice. It was Absinte brand, by the way.

You still haven't had real absinthe that's just a cheap oil mix.

Aren't all absinthes, knock-off or authentic, based around anise though?

Apparently the "Lucid Brand" out of France is available in the US, but, as I suspected, there is a limit on the amount of Thujone for it to be allowed for sale.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
In part...absinthe is an anise based spirit, but in the case of absinthes that are compounded from commercial oils, those brands bear little resemblance in taste to what a decent absinthe is like.

Thujone is pretty meaningless, the only people trying to push false high numbers are the frauds from Eastern Europe, they outright lie about their crappy swill that they try to pass off as absinthe.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
GREATLY appreciate the insight and expertise provided here. Never tried Absinthe, have always wanted to. There's an intriguing mystique about it that should be enjoyed. The recent resurgence of popularity and availability is warranted and enjoyed. Watched a documentary piece on it about a year ago, was in France this summer and didn't even try it. Regrets...that would have been a good place for the first time...

Look forward to putting everyone's good advice to use which will now ensure that I don't make a faux pas with tradition and convention.

Thanks again,
M.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
I know there is the old absinthe house in New Orleans where my family is from. I've tried absinthe after they supposedly lifted 'the ban' on it being illegal here in the states but I'm not sure if it was the correct wormwood. Thujone is similar to THC or marijuana and unless laced with something doesn't make you hallucinate. The hallucinations come from it being made incorrectly and artistis in France like Van gogh drinking paint thinner with it or something... he cut off his ear too. Anyway.... I stupidly did not realize how my body accepted absinthe... took a while for it to hit but when it hit, it hit hard and never again have I been able to get near the stuff without that gag reflex acting up the minute I smell it. I was very entranced with it before my experience and read numerous books on the subject and considered ordering some authentic stuff and importing it from Sweden (I think it was) where it was originally made as an elixir, remedy for things.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Absinthe as made to day uses grand wormwood just like the pre-ban era, absinthe properly distilled, in the USA is just as authentic as France and Switzerland.

The thujone thing has been discussed ad nauseum, look here: http://www.thujone.info/

Not knowing what you drank......most likely, you got hit more from the alcohol, rather than it being the absinthe.
Absinthe is a very pleasant drink, just indulge like any other spirit, with some restraint.

amador

A-List Customer
Lucid is available as are absinthe fountains. The Green Goddess entertained friends last winter. I have been scouring antique shops in the Pacific Northwest and have only been able to embarass the owners who have never heard of absinthe, fountains or slotted spoons.

Last edited:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
It's very unlikely you'll find much in the way of absinthe spoons, or absinthe glasses, unless the antique shop has imported them from France.
Even in New Orleans where absinthe was popular back in the day, very few original American absinthe artifacts have surfaced, and the one NOLA antique shop that stocks anything in quantity, brings them over from France.

I wish there were more things to turn up.

amador

A-List Customer
Well I suppose my queries for Things Absinthe will have the utility of getting pushy antique shop owners to leave me alone. Similar results with egg coddlers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points