Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The morning after...Ow... my eyes...Hangover help.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't (didn't) have a hangover.... I just wanted to know how everyone deals with theirs in case it should ever come up...

People say lots of water and aspirins, but that just makes for an even upsetter belly for me and doesn't help much. I know what does not help at all - a skull-jarring vibrating toothbrush in the morning! :
lol

vonwotan

Practically Family
For me, food, plenty of water and sobering up a bit before bed has always worked best. I mentioned this book in another thread, but I like what Esquire's Handbook for Hosts has to say about "Pick Me Ups for Slower Let You Downs" and will need to experiment a bit with their methods... For the night before they suggest soda or alkalizing salts.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
on the rare occasion I go out its a glass of milk before leaving the house, a glass of water before bed and smoked bacon, scrambled eggs, chopped tomatoes and toast with a bucket sized mug of sweet tea the morning after, works a treat ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, we pretty much agree on fluids. The dehydration is what gives you the headache. Someone long ago told me that your stomach is more than half of the hangover, and that a couple of Tums or antacids will work wonders. I tried it and it worked. But guzzling down as close to a quart of water as possible and an aspirin BEFORE going to bed really helps. That assumes you're capable of doing this.
BTW. water and aspirin are also good for sunburn. Even after you come in from the sun, cellular damage is continuing. So a lot of water and aspirin will do amazing things for sunburn as well.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Some classic era drinking hints, from the 1944 Legendre Herbsaint recipe booklet.
http://www.oxygenee.com/Legendre-Herbsaint.pdf

4409copy.jpg

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
I don't drink much, but when I do I have NEVER EVER have a hangover.

I'm kinda proud of that ;)

Same with me! I think it might be because I have such a low tolerance -- I don't have to drink nearly as much as most people do to feel the effects, therefore I get less dehydrated, etc. Then again, it's nearly impossible for me to drink without getting at least tipsy, so it's not always the best trait to have!

The morning after a night out though, I tend to wake up way earlier. The only problem I have is that I just can't stay asleep.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
photobyalan gets the kewpie doll!!!!

Keep Pedialyte in the fridge and pound one or two before going to sleep.

Water and electrolytes are the big key. When your body has been dehydrated by alcohol it also strips out your electrolytes. Electrolytes are what allows your brain cells to fire and your muscles to work.

Aspirin helps the blood flow and pain management as well, but until you replace the missing stuff it won't bring relief.

You need to rehydrate, get the electrolytes back in balance and get fuel to the cells. Quick fuel for right now and then more to prevent burnout, thus the eating real food when you are up to it, also helps with the vitamin loss.

Pedialyte is great because it does all three at once, rehydration, electrolytes and vitamins and carbs.

Now, if you have access, the fastest way to recover from a hangover, and I'm talking minutes for full recovery, is to get an IV inserted and punch in a Lactated Ringer.

I've gone from death's door to a full day of hard training after having a Corpsman raise the old fluid level a couple pints. No faster way to rehydrate and replace electrolytes.

S

Samsa

Several pints of water. I generally avoid the hangover completely by drinking said few pints of water before going to bed, but they help after one wakes up as well.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
carebear said:
Edited deeplyQUOTE]

Wow, isn't that kind of excessive for a hangover? I mean I can understand the whys to it, but good lord, if I need an IV, I need to put down the bottle long before I did. lol

Your tax dollars at work. :D

Besides, it provides practice for the Corpsmen. Consider it a training exercise.

Also why I nurse my drinks over several hours, and usually prefer to accompany them with something solid--"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", after all.

I would say something snarky about your way, Carberry, but I don't care for the idea of you planting a snow-crab (or any other kind of nasty underwater creepy-crawlie, or even so much as a foot) on MY flag bridge if I ever tie up off the Land of the Midnight Sun once I've figured out the financing to get Nashville II built. Quarterdeck, I'd be willing to host FL events on, but consider the flag bridge "The Lair*, Maritime Branch Office"...

*As in, "off-limits to all who enjoy breathing unless specifically authorized and invited by ME."

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If I have a few too many, no force on earth can help me. Until mid-afternoon the next day I am 100% guaranteed to have a severe headache and to be continually nauseated. Nothing can change this, and it's always a very rough day.

Because of this, the occasions when I have overindulged have been few and very, very, very far between. Haven't done so in more than 20 years now.

As Heinlein put it in one of his books, the feeling is: "I think I'm gonna die, and I'm afraid I won't." Or, as an old Idaho cowboy friend of mine put it: "I prayed for death, but it wouldn't come."

That doesn't mean I don't drink, and more than one on a convivial evening when I'm not driving. However, I have a much better idea of my limits than I did years ago.

My condolences on the feeling - I hope it passes soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21