• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The morning after...Ow... my eyes...Hangover help.

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by scotrace, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

There are very, very few maladies that sex wouldn't help.:p

2. ^ If that isn't the truth I don't know what is :p

3. Mr Vim

Mr Vim One Too Many

Well, my hangover cure is a bottle of kombucha tea, then twenty to thirty minutes in the steam room at the gym. By the end of it, I feel great.

4. ^ this

5. andy richards

andy richards Practically Family

Well, the first thing what came up to my mind is how to prevent a hangover...
    For me it works best drinking water during drinking your favorite alcoholic beverages.
    I would say about one small glass of water next to your glass of wine, whiskey or beer.
    Have it a try.
    The next morning, drink lots of water, tea, coffee anything and go for a short walk.
    Can't wait to open my Merlot this evening...
    Cheers,
    Andy

6. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Can't remember whether I've posted this or not, probably have but may as well again, it might save someone's Saturday or Sunday, or both.

First thing you should do is imbibe vast amounts of strong milky tea. Not coffee, your nerves are already buggered from the booze so tea and an absolute bathtub's worth.

Next step grub. Forget all that cereal horse food rubbish or any of that health food nonsense which looks like grass and smells like the wrong end of a cow. Morning after food needs oomph to soak up the grog, a full fry up or even a bacon sandwich usually puts you back on an even keel. Kedgeree is very good at putting the old stuffing back in the cushions as it were as well, but it's a hoofluff to make in a reduced state so it's only a go if you're out, or you can persuade some poor sap to knock you up a batch.

If you're still feeling sub-par after all this, and it can happen if you've overindulged in the grain and the grape over the same evening's festivities you need to bring out the heavy artillery, a really hot curry. Not some medium, namby-pamby job but bloody hot, as hot as you can stand it. You'll sweat out the rest of the booze, it'll satisfy your craving for something tasty and the endorphin hit from the curry's heat will make you feel like new.

Also as My Vim and rue have already stated, sex and saunas are good for hangovers too, but preferably at the same time.

7. For a minor hangover, I totally endorse kedgeree. Also congee or pad thai. Something carby, spicy and delicious. And lots of Chinese tea.

For a more major hangover, vegemite toast and orange juice. And lots of gatorade.

For the sort of hangover (which thankfully I haven't had in a long, long time) where you can't keep water down, lemonade icypoles and a damp cloth on the forhead, while reclining in a darkened room.

8. Water alone has always been a miracle cure for me. I don't drink water while drinking, but I drink about 23oz before bed, and then refill it to drink when I wake up.

9. Allen

Allen New in Town

Think about it this way- what is a hangover? It's a headache. What can cause a headache? Dehydration. What can cause dehydration? Alcohol. Drinking lots of water might help after a night of drinking, but what can potentially negate the hangover completely is staying hydrated during your night. Between every couple of pints, order a glass of water. Or have some Gatorade if you're not at the bar.

ScionPI2005 likes this.
  10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I'm far too old for this rubbish. It's been a long time, but I've overindulged. Doing the greasy food, lots of water and a Bloody Mary for Hemingway's sake.

11. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom Practically Family

Well, I hope you are feeling better soon. I'm old enough to know myself well enough to acknowledge that saying "never again" is probably just wishful thinking. As my dad used to say "old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway." Or as a friend likes to say "Moderation in all things, including moderation." That having been said, it has been a long time since I really over did it. Wishing you a quick and full recovery.

12. GoetzManor

GoetzManor Familiar Face

This is the truth. My go to is always some sort of sausage patty-ed sandwich at McDonald's and a couple cups of coffee. I stopped drinking hard liquor, so I don't really have to worry too much about hangovers anymore, haha.