Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Motorcycle Helmet Thread

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
The display only helmets in a way have been out for years. Davida have been producing their replica pudding basin fibre glass helmets and sell them at shows, totally non legal, they sell them by the bucket load to the wannabe Hailwood's and John Coopers out there. They are probably just selling to those that must have the correct look and made in limited numbers really account for the price. I do believe they are illegal, as are original Everoak's, Kangol, and other 1960s produced helmets in Japan which I think was the main market.
Any Japanese riders/members like to confirm any of this?

Agree on the Biltwell. Great helmets, but marginally protective. I think of it as the safest "open face" helmet I can get. Very retro looking. I've looked at a lot of the Davida helmets before but I didn't know if any of them were legal here in the US as well. Beautiful designs. But a bit pricey of they are only good for being carried by the chin strap at Mods & Rockers events.

lina

Practically Family
Interesting question. I have an intermediate oval grape which means the Arais (Vector 2, etc.) fit me spot on. The Shoeis (particularly the RF-1200) are supposed to be intermediate oval as well but they seem to be just a tad tighter on the sides, hardly noticeable. The Biltwell's shape seems to fit me pretty well. Although it doesn't have nearly the level of padding and aerodynamics of the RF-1200, and it tends to have a little more room all around the sides of the head, I'd say the basic shape is pretty close to the RF-1200 or an Arai Vector. Hope that helps.
Yeah, thanks, that's helfpul. Looking to try out some full face helmets, and this helps me figure out what might work on my noggin'..

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Agree on the Biltwell. Great helmets, but marginally protective. I think of it as the safest "open face" helmet I can get. Very retro looking. I've looked at a lot of the Davida helmets before but I didn't know if any of them were legal here in the US as well. Beautiful designs. But a bit pricey of they are only good for being carried by the chin strap at Mods & Rockers events.

Due to a certain TV program I think we have a love/hate relationship with the USA about Mods and Rockers and trying to change history. No offence meant(well not much :p) I'ts a bit like our take on 1%er bike clubs.
OK, lets not go there ;)
Anyway, the Davida helmets are not really part of the Mod/Rocker look as even though helmets were not compulsory during the classic era of the two tribes, most Rockers and many mods preferred the Jet style of the old Everoaks(expensive at the time)Aviakits and Kangols etc. The pudding basin style replicated by Davida was more than likely a professional racers lid as it was easier to hear the engine performance during competition. Most photo's I have seen are of Rockers wearing Jets and racers wearing puds. Infant I think Giacamo Agostini was wearing a pud in the 1970 TT.
But take no notice of me, just stick a band of checker tape and an Ace Cafe sticker on a silver Davida, Hey! Instant Rocker.:D

Edward

Bartender
Due to a certain TV program I think we have a love/hate relationship with the USA about Mods and Rockers and trying to change history. No offence meant(well not much :p) I'ts a bit like our take on 1%er bike clubs.
OK, lets not go there ;)

Which tv show is that?

Anyway, the Davida helmets are not really part of the Mod/Rocker look as even though helmets were not compulsory during the classic era of the two tribes, most Rockers and many mods preferred the Jet style of the old Everoaks(expensive at the time)Aviakits and Kangols etc. The pudding basin style replicated by Davida was more than likely a professional racers lid as it was easier to hear the engine performance during competition. Most photo's I have seen are of Rockers wearing Jets and racers wearing puds. Infant I think Giacamo Agostini was wearing a pud in the 1970 TT.
But take no notice of me, just stick a band of checker tape and an Ace Cafe sticker on a silver Davida, Hey! Instant Rocker.:D

I've always had the impression from period photos that the pudding basin style was more likely to be adopted by mods. Indeed, mods seem less likely to have worn helmets at all in many cases.... It's interesting how even today, while everyone wears a helmet by law, from what I observe scooter riders on average are significantly less likely to wear anything much beyond the helmet in the way of protective gear than motorcycle riders (and much more likely to wear open face). This always struck me as odd, given that when riding in the city, the highewr capabilities of a motorcycle are broadly ironed out (30mph speed limits and such - and, of course, that's without considering the modern 'super-scooters'.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Which tv show is that?

I've always had the impression from period photos that the pudding basin style was more likely to be adopted by mods. Indeed, mods seem less likely to have worn helmets at all in many cases.... It's interesting how even today, while everyone wears a helmet by law, from what I observe scooter riders on average are significantly less likely to wear anything much beyond the helmet in the way of protective gear than motorcycle riders (and much more likely to wear open face). This always struck me as odd, given that when riding in the city, the highewr capabilities of a motorcycle are broadly ironed out (30mph speed limits and such - and, of course, that's without considering the modern 'super-scooters'.
Café Racer of course(pronounce it Cafay as in wayheyhey). Sometimes titled 'How to throw $$$$ of $$$$ at an old Triumph or even a YamahaHAHAHA, wrap the exhausts in heat tape and claim it is in the tradition of the original Rockers' show.

A lot of Mods tend to go for the old 'Corker' type skid lids, usually white with peaks attached, not the true pud. Back in the 60s, more than likely non at all going by photo's.

Bikes and fashion can also go together. It just doesn't look right wearing a Power Ranger outfit and carbon race lid with an old Triton, as it also does not look right dressed up in studs and badges on a standard Vincent Black Shadow. I doubt many would dress in Rocker mode to ride a Yammy R1 but may for a laugh, and of course there are the vintage bikes of pre war and Edwardian era clothing. Alpinestars GP Pro's and Sidi Vortice boots on a Brough anyone ;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
To those who may think me a little harsh sometimes, I don't take life too seriously and poke fun at everything. I like all bikes from little Jap Honda 90s to the mighty Vincent Black Shadow and beyond. About the only bike I have no time for are those funny commuter things with their windscreens and rollover bars and the funny little 3 wheelers that lean.
BUT WAIT! One day I may not be able to Ride on the queens highway lookin' like a streak of Lightnin'(Thanks Chris Spedding) and may end up riding a funny 3 wheeler, but I may have to stick a Busa engine in it :cool:
Just stop saying CAFÉ!!!!AAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
OK, lets not go there ;)

Haha, no offense taken at all (except that you spelled offense "wrong" :p). In the US we have "Mods and Rockers" events that I consider to be in the same bin as Civil War reenactment clubs; they get dressed up in what they think people wore during that period and then stand around yapping. Never been to one. Don't care to. I was mainly referring to the guys at our Euro dealership who buy Triumphs and then get dressed up in rolled up jeans, new engineer boots and a 3/4 helmet to come get their oil changed. They're the only ones I've seen wearing Davidas. I used to hang around with a club that "required" open faced helmets so I go a nice Bell 500 for that stuff. But I've had two friends seriously mess up their faces so I'll usually stick with the full helmet.

I really don't care what anyone rides as long as it has two wheels (three if you have a note from your doctor). I've ridden Japanese metrics most of my life because I ride everywhere I go and, well, I need a bike that works and nothing's been built yet that is as reliable as what they build in Japan. But I have a Beemer R1200 that I ride almost everywhere because I don;t think anything is better in all kinds of weather. I just know that I have to spend at least one weekend a month tweaking valves and intake grommets to keep her happy. Everybody's got their opinions on what bike is best yada, yada, yada. I say let them ride what works for them and wear what works for them. But I can't keep from laughing! :D

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Which tv show is that?

Wouldn't ever go out with an open face these days on my Vespa or Yamaha 'Super Scooter'.
Back in the early 80's we were young Mods & immortal, so reflecting that mind set it was a peaked open face, Parka & desert boots. One of my mates was an exception in that he had a full face...seeing the state of it after he went Tarmac surfing made a convert out of me..full face & leather Bike jacket (Became a Scooter Boy).

I still do Scooter Rallies, most riders that wouldn't class themselves as a Mod wear full face, but as noted there are a lot of open faced helmets still worn within the Scooter fraternity. I dress in jeans, boots and lealther jacket with Draggin K Kevlar (long johns) & Knox armoured vest, full length back protector, Knox shorts and knee protectors. When finances allow I'm getting a decent textile jacket.

lina

Practically Family
IMG_1961_zpslvqgvszg.jpg

Shoei with face cover that Does Not Fog no matter how hard it's raining

IMG_1960_zpsn6qzugrv.jpg

Shoei 3/4 for Hot Southern Days

IMG_1962_zpstuyg2mll.jpg

Harley Half for Damn It's HOT out here in Kansas, et all!!!!!

IMG_1958_zpsrsfq5h2s.jpg

The Most Comfortable Helmet ever made....
IMG_1956_zpst0gpuet3.jpg

By the way, do you take the same size in all of these -- and if so is the fit more or less comparable..? Thanks.

lina

Practically Family
And here is my helmet sitting on top of my Royal Enfield (it thinks it's posing for a magazine).

Just got the bike out of winter storage yesterday, and looking forward to spring riding.

It's not particularly fast, or a super slick handler, but fun to ride for me.

RE 8,8,2.JPG

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Wouldn't ever go out with an open face these days on my Vespa or Yamaha 'Super Scooter'.
Back in the early 80's we were young Mods & immortal, so reflecting that mind set it was a peaked open face, Parka & desert boots. One of my mates was an exception in that he had a full face...seeing the state of it after he went Tarmac surfing made a convert out of me..full face & leather Bike jacket (Became a Scooter Boy).

I still do Scooter Rallies, most riders that wouldn't class themselves as a Mod wear full face, but as noted there are a lot of open faced helmets still worn within the Scooter fraternity. I dress in jeans, boots and lealther jacket with Draggin K Kevlar (long johns) & Knox armoured vest, full length back protector, Knox shorts and knee protectors. When finances allow I'm getting a decent textile jacket.

Me and my crowd were 'Rockers' in the 70s and 80s, the revival thing starting in the mid 80s with Lennie Patterson's Rockers Reunion runs to Brighton and Southend. I was as near as we could get I guess but still had the basic look of jeans, black jacket and high leg boots.
I often wondered about the Mod scene also in a bigger revival in the early 80s, apart from the scooter did you go info the full fancy suits and clothes the original Mods were really into or was it just an old parka with a target or 'The WHO' (or the Jam) painted on the back, jeans and footwear(Doc Martens?).
A bit later the Scooter boys were sort of taken over by the skinhead look which was a shame really as I quite liked a Modded up Lambretta(with not too many mirrors:cool:)

galopede

One of the Regulars
Rocketeer

I was around for the first mods and I never ever saw a parka with the roundel on the back. I'm sure that was invented by the Who!

All my mates were Mods with Lambrettas (Vespa was frowned on) but I rode a BSA Bantam. Full 175cc of power! Felt a lot safer than a scooter. Got up to just over 60 on it once, downhill with a following wind.

I did quite fancy a Lambretta SX200 but it was out of my price range. The Bantam was the same age as me, 1952 model!

I think I was the only one who wore a helmet amongst my mates back then. Can't remember the make but it was a standard open face job. I can still remember riding on a nice summer's day when a bee hit me and went under the helmet. I can still hear it buzzing next to my ear as I frantically stopped and got the helmet off!

Gareth

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me and my crowd were 'Rockers' in the 70s and 80s, the revival thing starting in the mid 80s with Lennie Patterson's Rockers Reunion runs to Brighton and Southend. I was as near as we could get I guess but still had the basic look of jeans, black jacket and high leg boots.
I often wondered about the Mod scene also in a bigger revival in the early 80s, apart from the scooter did you go info the full fancy suits and clothes the original Mods were really into or was it just an old parka with a target or 'The WHO' (or the Jam) painted on the back, jeans and footwear(Doc Martens?).
A bit later the Scooter boys were sort of taken over by the skinhead look which was a shame really as I quite liked a Modded up Lambretta(with not too many mirrors:cool:)

Before I was old enough to ride a scooter I had the pop art sweatshirts, Boating Blazer & Jam shoes. My Parka did indeed have 'The Who' painted on the back. Within a year or so of riding scooters I had moved on to a Flat-top haircut, Biker & G-1 jacket, ditching Pop Art sweats for old American mohair & Bowling Shirts. I never really liked the Skinhead look...too severe and aggressive for me. Doc Martins came into play as soon as I got two wheels & the Jam shoes were confined to the cupboard. There was a period when Boxing Boots were very popular.

I agree about a Modded up Lambretta with not too many mirrors, but then on the other extreme I rather like the Skelly look with most of the body work stripped off. Being no good with a spanner my Vespa PX 210 meets my traditional needs, it's covered in 80's accessories and has a bit of airbrushing from the film 'Rumble Fish'. My Yamaha T Max I use for longer journeys and occasional commuting. I've taken it on Scooter Rallies too where it gets a mixed reaction :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Before I was old enough to ride a scooter I had the pop art sweatshirts, Boating Blazer & Jam shoes. My Parka did indeed have 'The Who' painted on the back. Within a year or so of riding scooters I had moved on to a Flat-top haircut, Biker & G-1 jacket, ditching Pop Art sweats for old American mohair & Bowling Shirts. I never really liked the Skinhead look...too severe and aggressive for me. Doc Martins came into play as soon as I got two wheels & the Jam shoes were confined to the cupboard. There was a period when Boxing Boots were very popular.

I agree about a Modded up Lambretta with not too many mirrors, but then on the other extreme I rather like the Skelly look with most of the body work stripped off. Being no good with a spanner my Vespa PX 210 meets my traditional needs, it's covered in 80's accessories and has a bit of airbrushing from the film 'Rumble Fish'. My Yamaha T Max I use for longer journeys and occasional commuting. I've taken it on Scooter Rallies too where it gets a mixed reaction :)

Just for a laugh I visited the Ace Cafe on Rocker day riding my Hayabusa. As I rode along the North Circular from the A12 end I got some funny looks as I was wearing my old Kangol with goggles and a plain centre zip black jacket and black boots rather than Power Ranger stuff.
As I entered the car park at the Ace I was immediately directed to the Cafe racer parking, then the marshall looked at my bike and I was sent down the far end with the other Jap stuff haha.
It's funny how original Mods and Rockers, even the revivalists from the 80s all meet up and chat about our machines and what we did as youngsters.
But Beware! There are old guys out there who still think they are angry rebel teens(Friends of the Devil and twice as mean) who still would rather get home late than accept a lift of a Japanese superbike or modern scooter, and in my experience an MOT tester who was a Mod, would not pass an old British bike on first visit without something that had to be sorted 100%(Bullsh*t, its not to loud ;) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21