Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I hope no gentlemen present will think a lady too forward if I say I have observed some very nice pictures in this thread and fully support (well-groomed) facial hair as seen here. :)

Oh, and hurray for the mention of Sam Elliot, Burt Reynolds, and Tom Selleck, too. lol

Maguire

Practically Family
My grandfather maintained a 'stache all his life. As a cuban, it was sort of a requirement. I try every so often to sport one, but they take far too long to fill out and for some reason, my facial hair comes out in like 5 different colors. i'll stick to being clean shaven for a bit longer.

DerMann

Practically Family
Highlander said:
Well, here's one taken that shows the "Lew Wallace" (New Mexico Governor; Civil War General and author of BEN HUR), beard and moustache I grew out. It's the only photo I have
SMdeer07-vi.jpg
that really shows it.

How interesting.

General Wallace is quite the celebrity in my college's town. His house was turned into the Ben Hur museum and there's a bar/inn called the Lew Wallace Inn.

My moustache is still quite scraggly. If not waxed, it resembles the upper lip covering of a 16 year old Latino boy.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, Lew Wallace was quite a guy. I know a little about him But a good friend of mine was thinking about doing a documentry on Pat Garrett and needed someone to pay Lew Wallace in it. So he thought I should, and we used this photo as a guide for the moustache/beard etc.
LewWallace-vi.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Got milk?

Bravo and congratulations for all moustaches, my mom's included. I have had them off and on, now off. For some men, they are as essential as ears, nose and mouth. What would Einstein, Hulk Hogan, Clark Gable, Wilford Brimley, James Joyce, (unfortunately for the fraternity, Hitler and Stalin), and Pierpont Morgan look like without them?
I plan on retiring at 70 and spending the rest of my life alternately growing and shaving moustache, beard, and head hair in every permutation, every few months just for fun. My kids will never know who exactly is coming to visit and my wife will enjoy someone new to be seen with and ignore.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I am lucky enough to have a naturally curly moustache. I intend to keep it for the rest of my life, either with or without the accompanying beard, though I suspect mostly with it.

Here's a self portrait from last May:

2499965810_df1162ff30.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
My father always had a mustache, so I am quite fond of them...He always had the 'stache

randompics263.jpg

But lately he's been growing a .... I have NO clue what to call it.

party-cemetary031.jpg

It's a LOT longer now, I always think facial hair, when kept correctly, makes a man look so much more distinguished...but maybe I'm prejudiced.

Edward

Bartender
I did briefly flirt with facial hair when I was 19 - tried to grow one of those pencil-'taches like Jimi Hendrix. It lasted maybe a month. I was never i favour of me growing facial hair otherwise. Dad has always had a beard, but I remember even being very young (as in six or so) and having a vague awareness that clean-shaven was the look for me. These days, as far as my head goes it's 'all off bar the eyebrows.' :) Nice to see more of a variety in society, though, than everyone being completely facial-hair free.

dschonn said:

Quite a resemblence to a young George Harrison there.

Esme

One of the Regulars
My father was always growing mustaches, beards and combinations thereof. I liked them, but my mother most decidedly did not. Now that she is gone, he tells me he is just keeping his short beard and 'stache. (I haven't seen him since she passed away about 6 mos ago).
My first husband couldn't grow facial hair to save his life, though he tried a couple of times. Don't know what that says about him, lol.
My husband has been clean shaven, bearded and with short and long hair. I like his long hair (it was almost to his waist) but I can see what a PITA is was for him to maintain, especially as he can only raise one arm over his head. Due to his VERY bad back, he cannot raise his right arm above shoulder level so washing his hair is difficult.
He now has short hair and a full beard and mustache, but trimmed close. I think it looks extremely good. That coupled with his English/Australian accent and the black fedora he wears gives him a very elegant air, I think, even though he is sort of a biker/leather wearing guy. I dunno. When we were in the states, I about had to chase the young girlies off with a broom! Thank god he has more backbone and morals than my first husband ever even knew existed. With him being younger than me and so - well - I trust him explicitly and it's a good thing.
I guess I am trying to say, I love him and his beard and mustache don't hurt a bit! (He kind of reminds me of my dad, which is a good thing.)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Had a 'stash since I was a Senior in HS back in '77. Never once shaved it off in all those years. Mine is the basic Groucho Marx / Japanese fighter pilot style. I used to associate Handle Bar 'stashes to Gunfighters of the old west.
Now I associate them with Helicopter Pilots of the Viet-Nam era. Too funny...

freebird

Practically Family
I've been growing mine for about the last year. I have found the best wax (for me) is Clubman to start curling the handlebar then using Murrays pomade for better hold.

TWLyon

New in Town
Here's mine. I've had it for more than 30 years. Don't think I could manage without it.

3215965964_dce082c976.jpg

Incidently, that's a genuine Whippet I scored on eBay for $20. The stroller jacket was less than that. In fact, the shirt and tie cost more than the rest of the ensemble.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Sigh...

This thread makes me green with envy.

I would very much like to grow a mustache like William Powell sported in the Thin Man Movies, up to date all my attempts to grow a mustache have been to no avail, though.

I suffer form a hereditary aging disorder of the facial hair. I grow old at the normal rate but my mustache remains forever that of a thirteen year old.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like pulling out the points
DSCN4515.jpg

some times without wax
DSCN4370.jpg

and other times curling
DSCN4175.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
i realise its been a while since this thread's been active but what better month than MOVEMBER (my most favourite month) to get more moustache activity happening?

and for those lovely moustached gents for whom moustache care & grooming in style is a must, & in celebration of, and support for, movember, i've a little competition through my blog to win a most elegant victorian (i think) moustache brush & comb

more moustaches please kind sirs

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've been roped into it Analiebe. There are about 8 of us doing it.

Coming along quite nicely at the mo(ment) ;)

armod

Familiar Face
here is my handlebar

6733_102487046428286_100000009732358_63179_1496699_n.jpg

I'm using a strong hair wax for it at the moment but it's not enough to keep it curled or even in shape without needing to constantly prop it up throughout the day/night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21