Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
My Moustache

Had a moustache since freshman year of college now going on twenty years. I am just not me without a moustache.
Sometimes waxed ... really like Oregon.
Lately not waxed since the length is not there --> my barber is an old marine who dislikes facial hair so when he gets worked up about the usual barbershop politics / hunting talk he starts trimming and it ends up kind of short.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've had a moustache with my beard (goatee at first) since I was 14. I keep the beard close trimmed, but I've always kept the moustache bushy because I don't like the way it looks short. I've just kept it trimmed to the bottom of my upper lip. But I've been growing it out for a handlebar recently, though I'm not sure exactly how long, I didn't mark the day I decided to not trim as usual, but I think it's been about two and a half months.

This is the best picture I have of it:
DSC02179.jpg

I've been using Firehouse dark, but may try Wacky Tacky next. I'm not sure, I really need a lot of hold to keep the centre hairs sideways, and even with the dark they droop after a little while (it's happening a bit in the photo on my left). But I've only been waxing for a little less than a month, so it may improve.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
analiebe said:
i realise its been a while since this thread's been active but what better month than MOVEMBER (my most favourite month) to get more moustache activity happening?

and for those lovely moustached gents for whom moustache care & grooming in style is a must, & in celebration of, and support for, movember, i've a little competition through my blog to win a most elegant victorian (i think) moustache brush & comb

more moustaches please kind sirs

A bit of shameless self-promotion. I'm doing Movember for the first time and I managed to sprout a natty littly mo of my own. I was aiming for something vaguely Ronald Coleman and have discovered how difficult it is to shape a pencil moustache like that.

I have also raised $630 dollars in support of reseach into prostate cancer and for "Beyond Blue" (an Australian support organisation for the sufferers of depression).

If you know any Movember participants in your part of the world I encourage you to get behind their efforts to advance men's health issues.

analiebe

A-List Customer
dschonn said:
I am lucky enough to have a naturally curly moustache. I intend to keep it for the rest of my life, either with or without the accompanying beard, though I suspect mostly with it.

Here's a self portrait from last May:

2499965810_df1162ff30.jpg

and so you should - and most definitely with the accompanying beard..

this is such a brilliant shot - reminds me of the character played by guy peirce in the GENIUS australian film the propostion - you look like a gentleman bushranger!

proposition_7.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have cultivated, well more like tolerated, a vandyke. It's not so much style, it's just something I do when I don't have time for an honest shave and don't want to hack up the vulnerable areas (upper lip and chin).
4185529579_0ffb77c912.jpg

They usually don't last this long; this one's been going on 5 days. My family loathes it. My cat won't even recognize me.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Any tips for a guy who's trying to get over the initial awkwardness of sporting a mustache? I normally have the goatee going with my mustache, but have on occasion left the 'stache, but usually get tired of feeling it on my upper lip when it's alone.

Randy

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
theinterchange said:
Any tips for a guy who's trying to get over the initial awkwardness of sporting a mustache? I normally have the goatee going with my mustache, but have on occasion left the 'stache, but usually get tired of feeling it on my upper lip when it's alone.

Randy

Give it a month. It takes time to get used to the way it feels. It also depends on how you groom it and how long, thick, and curly your hairs are. I found that I would notice it if I kept the hairs too short.

Feraud

Bartender
I've always sported facial hair. Sideburns, goatee, soul patch, waxed moustache, etc. I've been going with a pencil style for a while now. I go through phases of growing and trimming the facial hair.
Sometimes laziness wins out. :)

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Howdy gents! I've been growing my 'stache out for the past 9 months and it's finally to the point where it's a please to wear around. lol I love my facial appendage as I call it. When I first started growing it nobody really liked the idea of it. Now if I don't wax it and people see me with it down... they attack me thinking I trimmed it! :D

Normally I wear it waxed with a slight upward curl to it. If I want to change things up then I wear it waxed straight out to the sides. When it was a bit shorter I kept a nice ringlet formed into each end. I am a HUGE fan of the Firehouse Wacky Tacky. Although having lost my tin lately I have settled for the Clubman and a tin full of my own attempt on usable wax.

Here I am just today. It's a bit out of place but you get the idea. It was a long day!

1222091719.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I got this moustache cup to keep coffee and tea out of my 'stache. I custom ordered it from a potter in Yorkshire (though the decoration was his own choice). I'll get an antique one someday, but this one is a good size and not as fragile as fine china.

DSC03011.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Nick, I have a serious need for one of those. My moustachios are like a strainer every time I take a sip of anything. After my morning six or seven cups of tea my napkin needs wringing out!lol

I too would like to find an antique in nice china. My dear old Mother almost bought me one when she was still alive, but decided against it, she said, because she did not want to encourage me to keep that huge ugly caterpillar on my upper lip.:rolleyes:

Blackjack

One Too Many
It comes and goes...but I found if I want to grow my stach back quickly I take vitamin E everyday. It grows back in half the time as normal. This stach took me about 5 weeks to grow in.

stach111.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I got this moustache cup to keep coffee and tea out of my 'stache. I custom ordered it from a potter in Yorkshire (though the decoration was his own choice). I'll get an antique one someday, but this one is a good size and not as fragile as fine china.

DSC03011.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for nice shaving scuttles on ebay. It's funny how alot of these moustache cups get listed as shaving scuttles when they are two entirely different things. If I'm ever on the search for a moustache cup, I'll just look for shaving scuttles on ebay.lol Of course, so as to prove me wrong, there are no moustache cups listed under "shaving scuttle" today.
Ernest

davestlouis

Practically Family
I couldn't grow any facial hair worth a hoot when I was in college. Now, I'm into my 40s and I could grow a beautiful silver and white beard and stache, but it is strictly verboten at work...no facial hair, per the employee handbook...ya lucky devils.

My dad has had a moustache as long as I can remember, I don't think I've ever seen him without one. I also can't think of a time that the rest of his face hasn't been cleanshaven, even on vacation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana