Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Nazi Gold Train

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That will be a battle-- dealing with claims. There must be a fair amount of such stuff still buried.

The story goes that remaining SS Totenkopf Honor rings were fired via shell into a mountain someplace to ditch them before the allies got there.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for sharing this.

My initial response was to be skeptical about the story. How could a rail car full of gold remain undiscovered for so long? Surely someone would have survived who knew where it was and would have tried to retrieve it by now. On the other hand, maybe any survivor who knew about it found himself separated from the stash by the iron curtain and planned to wait until the wall came down. Maybe he died before that happened. A lot of "ifs", to be sure. But still. It still boggles the mind to think that a buried trainload of gold was not discovered sooner in modern, developed, densely populated Europe.

Then Again, unexploded bombs are still being dug up every other week it seems. And I just learned of this recent discovery:

http://www.fox45now.com/template/inews_wire/wires.international/3e5082c3-www.fox45now.com.shtml

So maybe it is not completely a crazy idea, after all, to think that there might be a lost rail car out there full of gold. Maybe it is the romantic in me. As someone on the X-Files used to say "I want to believe!" :)

And --to be sure-- there are still plenty of lost WWII treasures out there for modern Indiana Joneses to pursue:

http://www.monumentsmenfoundation.org/join-the-hunt

I look forward to hearing any new developments regarding the Lost Nazi Gold Train story. Thanks again.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
It is a great story. Could be true, the nazis did have a lot of underground tunnels that they could have parked a train in, collapsed the roof of, and everyone forgot.
Hitlers bunker is under a car park, but nobody actually can get in.
The Nazis did a lot of strange stuff in a pretty big scale.
I reckon the gold was found by OSS, and used as a cold war off-books slush fund myself, like General Yamash1ta's gold.

Edward

Bartender
I remember when they found Hitler's bunker and some other bits; as I recall, they declined to publish the location for the obvious reasons, and just sealed it up again. This is quite the story - it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Didn't some girl in Germany find a bar of gold in a lake a couple of weeks ago?

p51

One Too Many
I've seen this insanity on almost every forum I am on... :eusa_doh:

When they try pulling it out, I'm sure someone will blow the bridge ahead of it...
7vXGETu8EpVIuEcA4ZF0Y70RKdu.jpg
"Ya see what sending out all them negative waves did, Moriarty?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ
I can't count the number of found 'armored train' stories I've heard over the years. There was even one of a Russian armored train found in Bosnia by some IFOR troops. The version I heard was a joint USMC/British Ordnance Corps group extracted the entire train (with a steam locomotive) and moved it... somewhere. Problem was, you could never find any hard data on it from anyone. Classic urban legend. No evidence, vague description of what and where it is, and all 'info' coming by second, third, fourth or fifth hand...
The media is buying into this, but it sure seems like they snuck some sarcasm into the story: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/...n-mystery/index.html The thing is, there wouldn't be tons of gold and explosives on the train. There simply wouldn't be a need to transport both. Blowing up the gold would just scatter it (and not all that far), so that wouldn't make any sense. No sane military would transport a treasure alongside any considerable amount of explosives (other than some grenades or man-portable anti-tank weapons in case of ambush), in a place where the Allies would have had full air superiority long before the train vanished.
But like any urban legend, there'll always be someone who'll buy into it...
b17cce305734368fbafecb0e257300b4_zpsdwyhvqtn.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've seen this insanity on almost every forum I am on... :eusa_doh:

When they try pulling it out, I'm sure someone will blow the bridge ahead of it...
View attachment 34433
"Ya see what sending out all them negative waves did, Moriarty?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyh-JpWdGmQ
I can't count the number of found 'armored train' stories I've heard over the years. There was even one of a Russian armored train found in Bosnia by some IFOR troops. The version I heard was a joint USMC/British Ordnance Corps group extracted the entire train (with a steam locomotive) and moved it... somewhere. Problem was, you could never find any hard data on it from anyone. Classic urban legend. No evidence, vague description of what and where it is, and all 'info' coming by second, third, fourth or fifth hand...
The media is buying into this, but it sure seems like they snuck some sarcasm into the story: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/...n-mystery/index.html The thing is, there wouldn't be tons of gold and explosives on the train. There simply wouldn't be a need to transport both. Blowing up the gold would just scatter it (and not all that far), so that wouldn't make any sense. No sane military would transport a treasure alongside any considerable amount of explosives (other than some grenades or man-portable anti-tank weapons in case of ambush), in a place where the Allies would have had full air superiority long before the train vanished.
But like any urban legend, there'll always be someone who'll buy into it...
View attachment 34434

On the other hand.....
Maybe this is the real deal! We must be able to put together an international team of Loungers with the right backgrounds, skill sets, and connections, to get into Poland, find those 2 guys, torture them until they give up the location of the gold, and then drive that train straight outta there!

Otter

One Too Many
^ I'll get my waterboard !

In all seriousness, this is one of these stories that surfaces in silly season that fills a few column inches. It's like the story about the Amber Room being burried in a salt mine in the Czech Republic. The story about the two type XXI u-boats being hurried in the Elbe bunkeris true, I have seen the photos.

Big J

Call Me a Cab

In all seriousness, this is one of these stories that surfaces in silly season that fills a few column inches. It's like the story about the Amber Room being burried in a salt mine in the Czech Republic. The story about the two type XXI u-boats being hurried in the Elbe bunkeris true, I have seen the photos.

That's the spirit Otter! Let's get that train rolling to Calais!

Big J

Call Me a Cab

I just had to check that Elbe bunker U-boat story, there are three boats, so clearly one is full of Nazi gold, one is full of the Nazi's atom bomb program to have been sent to Japan, and the third is full of frozen hitler baby clones. Imagine how much we could make selling that sh1t on eBay!!!!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
You know, the sad part is that in a few months after this thread dies down, the newspapers will have headlines stating 'Nazi gold train found!' I must admit it would be nice to find something like that-even without the gold-buried in a tunnel the Nazis dug some place and then buried. Think of the history.....

Mike

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Have a quick Google for Obersalzberg tunnels, and have fun !

Thanks. I did that on my phone, and now I keep getting banner ads for 'realistic nazi and SS uniforms!'.
Which funnily enough, are all the rage for weddings in Asia.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Problem was, you could never find any hard data on it from anyone. Classic urban legend. No evidence, vague description of what and where it is, and all 'info' coming by second, third, fourth or fifth hand

But we all know everything is in Hanger 51! ;)

image.jpg

“All your life has been spent in pursuit of archaeological relics. Inside the Ark are treasures beyond your wildest aspirations. You want to see it opened as well as I. Indiana, we are simply passing through history. This, this *is* history.”

p51

One Too Many
Thanks. I did that on my phone, and now I keep getting banner ads for 'realistic nazi and SS uniforms!'.
Which funnily enough, are all the rage for weddings in Asia.
I had to Google the phrase. :eeek: Man, you weren't kidding! I knew that German uniforms and equipment were huge in Anime and model building over in Japan, but I had no clue that SS uniforms were being worn in social settings. I can't imagine the reaction from a Westerner seeing that for the first time... [huh]

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I had to Google the phrase. :eeek: Man, you weren't kidding! I knew that German uniforms and equipment were huge in Anime and model building over in Japan, but I had no clue that SS uniforms were being worn in social settings. I can't imagine the reaction from a Westerner seeing that for the first time... [huh]

Dude, the first time I saw a guy dressed as Himmler relaxing in a deck chair at the park, I was blown away!

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Dude, the first time I saw a guy dressed as Himmler relaxing in a deck chair at the park, I was blown away!

You have way more control than I, if you didn't say anything to him. I have no patience with anyone who is stupid - and I do mean stupid - enough to be dressed in any kind of Nazi uniform, but much less emulating that godless butchering lunatic Himmler! :mad2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21