• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The Nomonhan Incident / Battle of Khalkhin Gol (1939)

Discussion in 'WWII' started by Story, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

2. RHY

RHY One of the Regulars

If this battle never took place, the world we live in today would be a lot different.
  3. Very very interesting.
  4. DavidJones

DavidJones One of the Regulars

A little known but very important engagement. Thanks for sharing.
  5. m0nk

m0nk One Too Many

I never knew about this and can't imagine how most historical outlines missed such a massive piece of the WWII puzzle. Great post!
  6. Atterbury Dodd

Atterbury Dodd One Too Many

I had never heard of it, thanks!
  7. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

8. Arcturus

Arcturus New in Town

Another conflict which is not widely known.
    The Winter War (Finnish: talvisota, Swedish: vinterkriget, Russian: Зимняя война, tr. Zimnyaya voyna)[25] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and Finland. The conflict began with a Soviet offensive on 30 November 1939—two months after the start of World War II and the Soviet invasion of Poland—ending on 13 March 1940 with the Moscow Peace Treaty. The League of Nations deemed the attack illegal and expelled the Soviet Union from the League on 14 December 1939.
  9. 1961MJS

1961MJS Call Me a Cab

Col. Tsuji comes up in a lot of places. His policies in the Philippines pretty much got General Homma executed after the war. He started the war as a Colonel and ended it as one, which would be odd in any other armed service given his influence.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Thanks I have never heard about this before. Tsuji seems to have been one of those psycopaths that, like cockroaches, could survive a nuclear holocaust.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. HungaryTom

HungaryTom One Too Many

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012