Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

And I can make out several pocket watch chains esp. the one hanging from the vest of the gent out front. By the end of the 1920s wristwatches were out-selling pocket watches but the railway men persisted in carrying their official railroad grade pocket watches. Century old pocket watches to this day continue to meet or exceed timekeeping standards for the best (expensive!) wristwatches. You can tell I'm hooked.
I love pocket watches.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Everything about the photograph appears to be no later than the 1890s. Even the image itself appears to be maybe a glass plate negative. Outside of captive rail cars, the link-and-pin was dead. Derbies were also pretty much dead by 1932, and those crowns heights weren't seen on current production. I say the year is wrong on the photo.

Everything about the photograph appears to be no later than the 1890s. Even the image itself appears to be maybe a glass plate negative. Outside of captive rail cars, the link-and-pin was dead. Derbies were also pretty much dead by 1932, and those crowns heights weren't seen on current production. I say the year is wrong on the photo.

I thought maybe the prominence of derbies meant older, but didn't venture a guess.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer

You could be right by looking at it. That date was from the archives of Norfolk Southern, so they could have miss printed it.

Norfolk &a Western purchased that Railway in 1890. So I would say it's before then.......

And just confirmed from the source that it is way earlier. Sorry.
I'd say between 1860-1890.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
And I can make out several pocket watch chains esp. the one hanging from the vest of the gent out front. By the end of the 1920s wristwatches were out-selling pocket watches but the railway men persisted in carrying their official railroad grade pocket watches. Century old pocket watches to this day continue to meet or exceed timekeeping standards for the best (expensive!) wristwatches. You can tell I'm hooked.

I made a mistake. It is a late 1800's pic.
I'm a big pocket watch fan too.

My dads Hamilton Railway Special is in the shop now getting fixed for me right now. Can't wait to get it back. :)

viclip

Practically Family
I made a mistake. It is a late 1800's pic.
I'm a big pocket watch fan too.

My dads Hamilton Railway Special is in the shop now getting fixed for me right now. Can't wait to get it back. :)

If the photo is pre-1900 then I'd expect all of the chaps to have been sporting pocket watches, albeit hidden from view by their overcoats. Back then men refused to wear wristwatches because they were viewed as effeminate. Plus the engineering wasn't really in place yet to produce robust wristwatches meeting railroad grade standards of quality & accuracy.

Be sure to post a shot of your dad's Hamilton when it comes back. Hamiltons were/are great pocket watches. They rival Waltham for sheer quality. I've got a couple of Hamiltons myself kicking around. One is a Ball-Hamilton 999N (the model with the non-Elinvar balance spring, regrettably) which I carry. The other is a Hamilton model 992 which I bought for a song on eBay as non-running but the jostling it received in the mail freed up the train to running condition; it obviously needs an overhaul & is sitting in the queue awaiting my watchmaker's kind attention.

In my view vintage hats & pocket watches are a natural match, love them both.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Dates accurate on this one! Ha

Norfolk and Western Bridge Gang
Big Bull Tunnel
Wise County Virginia
5b5657e27ea6eba5d467b6d3501125d1.png

TPD166

One Too Many
I am in a Texas state of mind today, so how about some Ranger pictures?

Texas Ranger Captains. Seated: Captain Dan Roberts. Standing L to R: Captain J. A. Brooks, Adjutant General W. W. Sterling, Captain Frank A. Hamer, and Captain John R. Hughes. August 30, 1932.

Texas Ranger Capt. M.T. "Lonewolf" Gonzaullas – year unknown.

Texas Rangers with a moonshine still – ca. 1915-20. No one is identified in the photograph, but I am 99% sure that the Ranger standing immediately to the left of the still (in the dark hat with rifle in his left hand) is Harrison Hamer, younger brother of Capt. Frank Hamer.

Robert, do you have a source for early Ranger history? I'm looking for information on the Tumlinson's. I need more info to make my next visit to the Ranger Museum & Research Center worth the trip. Also looking for info on George W. Tumlinson who died at the Alamo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points